IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Regrets but it's too late.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 06:10 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

E30,E36, E46 and E90 were the great driving machines, after that, the 3er became numb. BMW has lost its way at least with the non M cars, that's partly why I'm here.
Old 07-20-18, 06:31 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
E30,E36, E46 and E90 were the great driving machines, after that, the 3er became numb. BMW has lost its way at least with the non M cars, that's partly why I'm here.
the e90 started to get numb to be honest. Compared to the e46, I liked my e46 over any e90. Just needed more power. Only e90 with the m sport suspension was nice, and obviously the m3. Bmws to me will always be the top of the big 3 luxury german brands, ie benz, audi, and bmw.

That aside, I love my IS. Test drove countless number of cars before I bought it, was the best combination of price, reliability, features, and comfort. Also looks sweet lol
Old 07-20-18, 07:04 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I ever get another Bimmer it will be an M3 or M4 but for now I'm sticking with Lexus!
Old 07-20-18, 07:28 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dakest
Hello everyone, I recently bought a very nice 2014 IS 250 awd, coming from BMW I don't know much about Lexus, now that I'm learning I regret not getting the F sport! it seems most goodies are for the f sport.
No, you regret not getting the bigger motor.
Old 07-20-18, 07:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I strongly agree! Bimmers are definitely not numb! I still love my former 5 series and would love to own an M series, I had to get rid of mine because of a blown head gasket at 155k miles.
With that said after getting the IS and learning more about them makes me feel I should've gotten the 350 but I'm going to try to enjoy it the 250 and any suggestions from all the Lexus gurus here will be very valuable to me at this point.
Eh, I was referring to newer Bimmers, and I've never driven an M car sadly. But yeah, I even have a coworker who used to have a ZHP 330i and is a massive BMW fan. He said the new 3-series, especially without M Sport, is kinda bad in terms of steering feel. He said the IS was "kinda numb" but still has more feel and more weight than the F30 3-series. I'm certainly not meaning to hate on older BMWs... their reputation precedes them. I mean the IS was basically Lexus copying BMW.

​​​​​​​^ This, pretty much.
Old 07-20-18, 09:05 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dizlex
No, you regret not getting the bigger motor.
That is it buddy! can't do anything now until I trade it in in a couple of years, this 250 is pretty quick as it is and fun to drive.
Old 07-21-18, 12:41 AM
evident
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Sounds like you haven't driven an E46 or E46 M3. Here's pics of my old car I owned 8 years. Without a single breakdown. It had around 150k miles in this picture.

Canyon carver with a few ///M parts such as M3 rear balljoints, M3 engine/trans mounts, solid front CABs, and some other stuff i'm forgetting. Great in stock form but even better w/ M3 parts. The drive is like the IS w/ F Sport package but 300-400 lbs ligher and driveline response is way more immediate primarily due to having a manual transmission. Don't forget the hydraulic steering too.

Engine always hand washed, hand polished, hand waxed. Every surface slick. Our ISs handle great but don't call BMW numb! =)
Always loved this car. Great pictures.
Old 07-21-18, 03:11 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

That is it buddy! can't do anything now until I trade it in in a couple of years, this 250 is pretty quick as it is and fun to drive.
I had a 2014 IS250 F Sport and now I have a 2016 IS350 F Sport. I am a sucker for the F Sport trim and Rioja Red interior. Both cars are Rioja Red inside. The 250 handled a little bit better. The 350 plows like a pig sometimes. I had plenty of fun in the 250. There's a long, sweeping right turn that decreases in radius on my commute and the 250 was a lot more fun on that particular section of road. Have fun with it. It's a nice car.
Old 07-21-18, 12:35 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

it seems most goodies are for the f sport.
I got plenty of 'goodies' in my 2016 IS-350 non F-Sport, but I got the no longer available luxury edition. A fun car to own with all the luxury features, plenty quick for me.
Old 07-21-18, 02:08 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

I know I will have fun with it, I am very mechanically incline, in fact I have been working on cars since my muscle car days, I'm going to enjoy modding this car although I thinking mostly cosmetics and intake and exhaust, nothing over the top though.
I have done intensive search and research but being new to Lexus don't know much about brand quality.
Old 07-22-18, 12:21 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My story as well. I came from an E46 too, By 2014 BMW handling had become quite numb on the 3 series.

Old 07-22-18, 12:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
No thanks, I don't need that BMW numbness in my driving experience.
How about Porsche then? I know latest BMWs are losing it's original pedigree to please those(new generation) who does not even know
how to drive with a stick and becoming more plasticy. Older generation BMWs were real sports cars. My own opinion.
Old 07-22-18, 01:27 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Mother in law has a 2014 320i X Drive. The car moves pretty good and is smooth as well.
But just based on the automatic shifter operation, I wouldn't go near that thing with a ten foot pole.
I guess they thought the wheel needed reinventing and they could make it even rounder...one of those situations if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 07-23-18, 08:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
How about Porsche then? I know latest BMWs are losing it's original pedigree to please those(new generation) who does not even know
how to drive with a stick and becoming more plasticy. Older generation BMWs were real sports cars. My own opinion.
The main reason I retorted in the first place was that I found it odd to imply the F Sport package gives you no performance benefit. This is simply untrue, as you get the more aggressive brake compound, stiffer dampers, and sportier seats, along with functional brake cooling ducts.

Remember this?

Originally Posted by Htony
F Sport = Sport wannabe? Compare it to BMW.
That's why I responded the way I did. Maybe it's not as sporty as some of the older BMWs or even Porsche. But to compare a sport sedan to, say, a Cayman is just silly. The Cayman has a totally different purpose. So, "sport" really deserves to be judged in its context - in this case, yes, you could compare it to modern BMW 3- and 4-series models.

And again, I won't say the F Sport package is really the best deal ever - but it changes the character of the car. I drove the IS without it and hands-down preferred it with, even considering the price bump. I think the IS doesn't really need the F Sport package to be considered a sport sedan, however.

Last edited by arentz07; 07-23-18 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 06:06 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Ok fellas, I was just venting about not picking up the 350 f sport instead of the 250, I like Bimmers too and I agree the e46 and e90 were the last of the solid Bimmers but it's also a matter of taste and opinion.
Now let's help a noob have fun with new IS.. Lol!

Quick Reply: Regrets but it's too late.