IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear-ended on highway; chances of frame damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 06:59 PM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear-ended on highway; chances of frame damage?

Had a bit of an unfortunate day and someone rear-ended my car on the highway while stopped which pushed my car into another several feet away. The car took a pretty big hit and is damaged severely on both the front and rear. I noticed that the right rear gap between the door and quarter panel is nearly non-existent. I'm afraid there might be some frame damage?

If anyone can chime in with past experiences or thoughts, would appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 07-25-18, 07:19 PM
Supra8
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow this hurts to look at. All the best man
Old 07-25-18, 08:23 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Damn... I'd be so pissed.... Glad you're okay!
Old 07-25-18, 08:44 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok.

Frame damage on the front part seems unlikely. Rear, maybe. Notice the panel gap is now uneven, almost touching, between the rear quarter fender and rear door. Depending on year and mileage, this could be a write off.
Old 07-25-18, 08:45 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn’t look like frame damage. The quarter panels didn’t cave in, open the rear doors and see if the pillars around the striker crimple or creased
Old 07-26-18, 09:43 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,617 Posts

fixable but probably a total. "frame damage" really isn't a thing. it's just a matter of drilling out the old fender and attaching a new one. slight pulling of unibody may be required. just a matter of book time that will total you out.

the front is a much easier fix than the back.
Old 07-27-18, 09:24 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
fixable but probably a total. "frame damage" really isn't a thing. it's just a matter of drilling out the old fender and attaching a new one. slight pulling of unibody may be required. just a matter of book time that will total you out.

the front is a much easier fix than the back.
Really difficult to look at! I agree with E46CT, it looks like a total but in your pics it doesn't look like your airbags deployed so it may be fixable.
Old 07-27-18, 02:25 PM
plastus
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping my insurance company would take a look at the car before the weekend but the adjuster still hasn't made his way out to the collision center where my car was dropped off for the damage inspection. All I know is that it's sitting out in the rain.
Old 07-27-18, 06:37 PM
nopinch
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it went over the rails in the front so probably minimal structure damage except the radiator support. The rear almost definitely has frame damage looking at the quarter to door gaps. Depending on Mileage and SRS damage, it’ll more than likely fix. As long as you have good insurance and a good shop, it’s not that bad.
Old 07-27-18, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

$25K easily. I am just throwing a number out there.

The rear quarter needs to come off to see how the inner structure is. Like you said, the gap between then quarter panel and the rear door is non-existent. It will probably be a lot worse than it looks once they take off the rear bumper. The front is pretty much the same. Sorry for your loss, but you definitely do not want this car back. Push them to total it if they don't want to.
Old 07-28-18, 05:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
... "frame damage" really isn't a thing...
I'm really curious to know your explanation for how frame damage isn't a thing. Typical passenger vehicles all have a frame, whether it be unibody, ladder, etc.
Therefore the frame can be damaged if impacted...so I'm not sure how frame damage is "not a thing".

To the OP, whether there is frame damage or not, this vehicle will never be the same if it is repaired...and it will definitely need a fair bit of work.
If the rear quarter moved that much without crumpling, then i would guess the frame rails in the back took the hit directly. But of course someone says "frame damage isn't a thing"
The front doesn't look like anything much to fix...just a whole lot of parts and paint and it should look like brand new.
As much as I hate to say it, I hope it's a total and they give you enough to get yourself another IS.

What kind of vehicle hit you? I'm guessing something like a pickup truck.
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (08-04-18)
Old 07-28-18, 05:45 AM
plastus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
A newer Range Rover...which dwarfs the IS in size/height.
Old 07-28-18, 06:22 AM
nopinch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I'm really curious to know your explanation for how frame damage isn't a thing. Typical passenger vehicles all have a frame, whether it be unibody, ladder, etc.
Therefore the frame can be damaged if impacted...so I'm not sure how frame damage is "not a thing".

To the OP, whether there is frame damage or not, this vehicle will never be the same if it is repaired...and it will definitely need a fair bit of work.
If the rear quarter moved that much without crumpling, then i would guess the frame rails in the back took the hit directly. But of course someone says "frame damage isn't a thing"
The front doesn't look like anything much to fix...just a whole lot of parts and paint and it should look like brand new.
As much as I hate to say it, I hope it's a total and they give you enough to get yourself another IS.

Why will it “never be the same”?
Old 07-28-18, 08:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by nopinch
Why will it “never be the same”?
No matter how good a body shop, bodyperson, and painter you find is, they will never be able to duplicate a factory assembly/finish on the car.
Given the damage in the rear, I doubt if it was repaired the fitment will be 100% like before the accident.
It's not like 50 years ago where factory assembly of vehicles wasn't the greatest, and they could be rebuilt today with fitment gaps that are far superior.
Even the cheapest vehicles coming out of factories today have excellent final assembly due to automation.
Don't get me wrong, a quality facility might be able to fix the vehicle within 99% of the pre-accident condition, and to a point where you would never know the difference.

Also, the vehicle now has an accident against it, so residual value has been effected. If they do fix it, you're pretty driving it until the residual value plateaus, which will be a long, long time, or you're selling it at a loss.
Old 07-28-18, 10:09 AM
nopinch
Driver School Candidate

A good shop can definitely do as good a quality job or better than a manufacturer. With a unibody you’re just replacing small pieces like a jigsaw puzzle.

Last edited by nopinch; 07-28-18 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended on highway; chances of frame damage?