IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My salary literally just tripled...how much Lexus should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 12:07 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Default My salary literally just tripled...how much Lexus should I buy?

I finished my PhD this summer and by great fortune I just received a job offer with a salary that is more than 3x what I earned as a graduate student. The IS 350 has always been my dream car and my wife needs a new car in 2 months. The timing couldn’t be better but how much should I really spend? Ive heard the 20% rule but I don’t think I can find a slightly used 3G IS 350 for that cheap. I prefer low miles as my current Prius already has 90,000 miles. We have no debt or loans and do have plenty of cash so no need for financing, but do you usually spend that much on a car? This is all new to me...
Old 07-27-18, 01:20 AM
monoglot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't state your salary or your budget? I would go with a CPO IS350. BTW, you should use financing with the low interest rates, and invest the cash.
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 03:43 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

GS-F. I'd buy this over an IS350.
macmaster (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 04:57 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dreamcast
GS-F. I'd buy this over an IS350.
funny, wife and I went to the Lexus driving Tour in Anaheim 2 weekends ago. GS F was our favorite car even way more than the RC and LC! Then I remembered it’s at least 50k CPO.

Last edited by macmaster; 07-27-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 05:03 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by monoglot
You didn't state your salary or your budget? I would go with a CPO IS350. BTW, you should use financing with the low interest rates, and invest the cash.
I’d say our budget is no more than 20k-30k after tax. And that puts us a beyond the “20% of your income rule” - you can do the math.

any reason you suggest CPO? I bought my last Prius 6 months ago from a private party. Got it inspected independently with mechanic and going that route definitely saved me a few thousand dollars. Granted I got lucky in finding a really great seller (we still text) but after that I was convinced private is a better way to go.

Lastly, financing when you don’t need to doesn’t sound like a great idea. You end up paying more. Plus I already invest a decent amount.

Last edited by macmaster; 07-27-18 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 05:19 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you budget is 30k your looking at is200/250/300 or a CT if you want low mileage. Go look at your local Carmax or Lexus CPO for the warranty.
Old 07-27-18, 05:24 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
If you budget is 30k your looking at is200/250/300 or a CT if you want low mileage. Go look at your local Carmax or Lexus CPO for the warranty.
also im sure you guys get this a lot but what’s “low mileage” for the IS?
Old 07-27-18, 05:31 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Low mileage is under 30k for me. My is250 had 18k when i bought it.
macmaster (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 05:57 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Oooooo what do you guys think about leasing? I know it goes against my philosophy of wanting to OWN a car but at their current offers we’d only pay about $15000 over 3 years. Plus I have a $1000 off coupon from he Driving Tour. Thoughts?
Old 07-27-18, 06:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The IS350 is hard to find used so it may be a little overpriced in the used market. You can go IS300 AWD and get the ECU piggyback to become an IS350. Probably less than 30K
macmaster (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 08:52 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Definitely lease. Pay less now, have option to buy at end of lease.

Unless you pay cash for your car, you do not own it if you finance it.

I'd say least something modest now. Don't jump into something crazy as the future is uncertain. Get an IS or GS350 for now. Or even wait for the new ES coming this year. The current IS and GS are SUPER old. And in no time at all you'll be spending your hard earned bucks on an aging car.
macmaster (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 09:11 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats. Are you strictly looking at used because of your 20% income rule? When I was looking at purchasing an IS I was comparing prices/options between used and new. I purchased a new IS350 AWD that is pretty much loaded, which was $5-7K more than some other CPO models (both IS350s and IS300s) that were also fully loaded. In the whole scheme of things, $5-7K was a drop in the bucket compared to the overall sale price so for that difference between a new and used car, it made sense to spend that extra and buy new.

If I were you and since you have the ability to pay in full, I would compare what deals and pricing out there between new and used in your area. If you can get 0% financing, it might be worthwhile to save some cash up front then pay everything off later down the road so it doesn't hit your bank account immediately. Depending on what you're wanting exactly, a $30K cap would most likely get you a used car with maybe 30-35K miles on it and as others mentioned a used IS350 (especially recent years) are hard to find.
macmaster (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 09:24 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
Definitely lease. Pay less now, have option to buy at end of lease.

Unless you pay cash for your car, you do not own it if you finance it.

I'd say least something modest now. Don't jump into something crazy as the future is uncertain. Get an IS or GS350 for now. Or even wait for the new ES coming this year. The current IS and GS are SUPER old. And in no time at all you'll be spending your hard earned bucks on an aging car.
This is exactly what I was thinking this morning. When I had a lower income I would never consider leasing, I'd just buy a used car and drive it to death. But now, leasing a 2018 IS 300 makes the most sense now. If my math is right, a new lease comes out to about $15,000 over 3 years (300/mo + $3500 at signing) right? Of course I'd get the F sport but that's still a heckuva deal for a $40,000 car. I think I can get over the fact I don't own it, especially considering that the IS will be redesigned within 3 years. Just trying to enjoy life a little more at this point and 300/month would basically be no sweat compared to plopping down most of my savings now.

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Congrats. Are you strictly looking at used because of your 20% income rule? When I was looking at purchasing an IS I was comparing prices/options between used and new. I purchased a new IS350 AWD that is pretty much loaded, which was $5-7K more than some other CPO models (both IS350s and IS300s) that were also fully loaded. In the whole scheme of things, $5-7K was a drop in the bucket compared to the overall sale price so for that difference between a new and used car, it made sense to spend that extra and buy new.

If I were you and since you have the ability to pay in full, I would compare what deals and pricing out there between new and used in your area. If you can get 0% financing, it might be worthwhile to save some cash up front then pay everything off later down the road so it doesn't hit your bank account immediately. Depending on what you're wanting exactly, a $30K cap would most likely get you a used car with maybe 30-35K miles on it and as others mentioned a used IS350 (especially recent years) are hard to find.
Pretty much, I've always grown up as a pretty frugal person and not spending beyond my means. So I tend to stick to sound financial advice.
Old 07-27-18, 09:30 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

^ Makes sense. I'm frugal as well, but in my case, it just made financial sense with the deal I got to buy over used. Good luck with the decision and eventual purchase!
Old 07-27-18, 09:35 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by unioncorps
^ Makes sense. I'm frugal as well, but in my case, it just made financial sense with the deal I got to buy over used. Good luck with the decision and eventual purchase!
For only $5k-7k more I'd say you made a good call. Everyone says slightly used is the best deal but with new cars you just don't have to worry. Especially since it'll be driven by my wife mainly, I have to get her nice things lol. If it was my own I wouldn't care, like the priuses I've bought for myself in the past.

Quick Reply: My salary literally just tripled...how much Lexus should I buy?