IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interior Dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 07:10 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Interior Dust

Took the car out for a drive after a clean/wax today. In the sunlight, I noticed that there's a lot of dust in the interior, especially on the dash, speedo, Nav, etc. What's the best way of dusting the interior without scratching anything?

I just purchased Meguiar's Interior Detailer Cleaner and 303 protectant. I'll use those soon, but just was wondering about how to handle the dust first.
Old 07-30-18, 08:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I keep something like this microfiber wand in glovebox: https://amzn.to/2K7vGhO

it's angled so you can reach the windshield corners. they don't sell the exact one i bought years ago anymore but this one is very similar.

I also have a mini detailing brush for the vents, and tiny crevices on steering wheel, hvac control, etc. YOU NEED one of these if you are picky. https://amzn.to/2mUFzXm

I should just do a post in my build thread on all the tools i use. i only buy things when they are really useful and save me time. i have a less is more attitude. you can get by really without most of these things. but certain tools make it sooo much easier that it justifies the cost. and i've had them all for years.
Old 07-30-18, 09:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,718 Likes on 1,894 Posts

In a pinch, even a Swiffer duster will do fine. All I have been doing is

1) Dust the interior with a duster. I use my phone's flashlight to make sure I don't miss anything. Sometimes in a garage, etc. it can be too dim to really see dust.
2) Gently wipe the interior plastics and trim with a damp microfiber towel.

Done.
Old 07-30-18, 09:15 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
In a pinch, even a Swiffer duster will do fine. All I have been doing is

1) Dust the interior with a duster. I use my phone's flashlight to make sure I don't miss anything. Sometimes in a garage, etc. it can be too dim to really see dust.
2) Gently wipe the interior plastics and trim with a damp microfiber towel.

Done.
Same here. Swiffer and a microfiber towel is all I ever need.
Old 07-30-18, 09:15 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I tend to keep a swiffer duster refill in my glove compartment. Red lights are when I really notice the dust.
Old 07-30-18, 08:58 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Please be careful with interior detailer cleaners. I used the same one (a long time ago) and it damaged the finish. It was the "quik" detailer cleaner stuff. I tried another brand, same thing. Those were effective to remove the dirt which was grinded into the tan interior...but forever damaged the finish. For tough stains on the vinyl I used soft scrub.

For just maintenance and dust...use the suggestions above.
Old 07-31-18, 05:13 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 199 Posts

simple warm water does wonders on most surfaces. For glass and stuff use ammonia free cleaner with no abrasives (*obviously)
Stay away from armor-all products and/or anything that has oils that will evaporate onto the windows (aka the ones that gives a sleek greasy shine upon application)

Also as E46CT said, little brushes and stuff work wonders for the cracks, crevices, vents etc.

Head over to autogeekonline.com and you'll learn quite a lot on how to properly clean, detail and maintain the aesthetics of your car, inside and out.
Old 08-01-18, 07:24 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

dash surface that's got a matte finish, i wipe with damp microfiber cloth, shinny (scratchable surfaces) such as nav screen, dash screens, climate control display areas.. i use compressed air cans (for cleaning computers) and a vacuum to remove the majority of the dust particles, than i use a glasses cleaning grade microfiber with glasses lens cleaning solution.

I also have a screen protector( my nav screen to keep it in better shape in the long run (got from amazon)