IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dash speaker replacement on my 18 IS300F

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 02:54 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
Just a note. Your schematic of the LPF is awkwardly drawn and incorrect. The way you drew it is a Capacitance input filter, which makes very little sense as a filter for speakers.
My first post indicates that (1) I just roughly drew out the schematic, and (2) the crossover makes no sense.

I lifted a leg off of the choke and the cap to make sure that I got it right. I also have equipment that can measure both the choke and the capacitor. The schematic is correct, and as you stated, it makes no sense.

The gist of the matter is: No matter what you do to the stock speaker, it will not sound right, because of the low sensitivity of the high frequency driver, so why bother.
Replace with a 4 inch speaker of your choice, and enjoy.

Old 08-18-18, 06:34 PM
DerekGordo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the stock speaker is a coaxial? but it doesn't have a tweeter? how much room in depth did you have when installing the RFs?
Old 08-29-18, 12:50 AM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

Im curios if you managed to mount the new speaker on to the mounting holes on the dash or did you have to make any modifications. I noticed you said they dropped right in but it seems that the original mounting points on the OEM speaker are farther apart from the new speaker from the photos.

I noticed the kenwood speakers have the mounting points 104mm apart // 4in 1/8ths.

I also want to make this modification to the car, i managed to find the same set of kenwood speakers. Can you also tell me what color does the positive/negative wires have from the amp?

Last edited by RazvanR; 08-29-18 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 08:20 AM
MacroZed
Rookie

The mounting holes on the new replacement Kenwoods were the same distance apart as the original speakers. I did have to remove two of the tabs, but that's easy....they are designed to be removed for just this purpose.

I didn't make note of the wiring colors, but found that the outer-most contact on the speaker is the positive.

Old 08-31-18, 01:23 PM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

So i installed the new speakers and i must say... it's exactly what the OEM sound system (non ML) lacked as far as highs are concerned. The combination is perfect, the tweeters from the kenwoods and the mid dash speaker which provides highs/voices. You are a genius!

Thank you so much for the tips, me so happy!

Now to somehow fix the deck sub issue which lacks everything and then the sound system will be rather complete.
Old 08-31-18, 02:09 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Originally Posted by RazvanR

Thank you so much for the tips, me so happy!

Originally Posted by RazvanR
Now to somehow fix the deck sub issue which lacks everything and then the sound system will be rather complete.
Check out E46CT's DYI on the sub addition. I haven't completed mine yet, but I intend to soon.
Old 09-01-18, 12:19 PM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

I still cant believe the huge difference, for only 25$. One wonders why Lexus didn't do this from the factory.

I've seen E46CT's post, and in the end that's what i will do. I tried replacing the 8inch sub in the deck with a Pioneer shallow sub, but i never got it sounding right.

I'm not keen on placing a huge box in the trunk, removing the stock sub to allow the bass to enter the cabin, though if i were to go down this path i would probably build a band-pass enclosure with the bass reflex pointing upwards towards the hole in the rear deck.

But that's for another time, another thread .

Once again thanks for the tips, truly happy with the results. Wondering if it would be an idea to replace the mid speaker as well?!
Old 09-02-18, 11:06 PM
DerekGordo
Driver School Candidate

I just did this speaker upgrade. I used Hertz ECX 100 Coaxial speakers with the GM speaker harness hack. No mods, it pretty much dropped in with only needing to remove 2 mounting brackets. The sound is a lot better, there is now detail in the treble, I can hear parts of songs that were audible when I wear head phones but barely noticeable on the stock speakers. I used to have the treble maxed out but now its 2+.

I would recommend doing this, while its not going to blow you away it definitely better that stock. I have a sub already and with this dash speaker upgrade I'm pretty happy with the sound system now.