IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gear vs Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 03:34 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A lot of things are rougher before the car is up to temperature. Not coolant temp, oil temp, which our cars don't display. Transmission fluid also has to warm up and shifts may be more rough at low temps. I've never had an 8 speed, only a 4 and 6 speed transmission. When in sport/manual, I pretty much ignore 7th and 8th. But it's still a bit of time before I will figure out should I be in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th for spirited drives. I've just been very confused at how 4th is available at such low relative speeds
Old 08-10-18, 06:55 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
A lot of things are rougher before the car is up to temperature. Not coolant temp, oil temp, which our cars don't display. Transmission fluid also has to warm up and shifts may be more rough at low temps. I've never had an 8 speed, only a 4 and 6 speed transmission. When in sport/manual, I pretty much ignore 7th and 8th. But it's still a bit of time before I will figure out should I be in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th for spirited drives. I've just been very confused at how 4th is available at such low relative speeds
It is literally ONLY 5th gear when cold for me, that's why I was curious. The 4 cyl turbo actually does come with a oil temp gauge under the boost gauge we also have a oil pressure gauge.
Old 08-13-18, 08:06 AM
abenjack
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I dont always like it either BUT it's usually predictable at least when I'm in normal mode. Sport mode I dont use for long periods of time partly because I find it much less predictable. It will drag out 4th, 5th, or 6th way too long for me. Just because I launched quickly or came roaring out of a corner it thinks I want to go the following 500ft stuck at 4k or even 5500rpm without shifting.
The transmission will hold a gear if it thinks you are doing spirited driving. For example, taking a turn fast or after accelerating quickly. It does this so you can be in the HP range for better acceleration.
Old 08-13-18, 08:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,883 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by abenjack
The transmission will hold a gear if it thinks you are doing spirited driving. For example, taking a turn fast or after accelerating quickly. It does this so you can be in the HP range for better acceleration.
Yeah I just use normal mode most of the time. Sport mode actually does its job well when I'm driving more spiritedly.
Old 08-13-18, 09:56 AM
abenjack
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even normal mode will do it sometimes
Old 08-13-18, 10:08 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Probably any drive mode except eco will hold a gear, this transmission has a G sensor. Plus in the 350 if you are in Normal and hit the kickdown button with the gas lever (right on the floor of the car) you actually drop a couple gears.
Old 08-13-18, 10:55 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Probably any drive mode except eco will hold a gear, this transmission has a G sensor. Plus in the 350 if you are in Normal and hit the kickdown button with the gas lever (right on the floor of the car) you actually drop a couple gears.
The owner's manual states that the AI SHIFT operation only happens in Sport mode though. I think if you've seen this happen in Normal, it's most likely for engine braking while going down a hill. That sound accurate?
Old 08-13-18, 11:12 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

To clarify, I meant minimum speed for each gear. When I had an FRS, I think the owners manual listed this. The overlap has been what I have been paying attention to when in the gear view on the speedo screen. I've been surprised when I'm only at 17 mph and already in 4th gear in auto mode.
Unless you want to drive with paddle shift watching tach. Driving in automatic tranny shifting is automatic, No? To save gas new cars always shift up fast as long as it is possible. Also TCU will learn your driving habit. With Mercedes vehicle it is very easy to put the TCU into learn mode. I wonder whether one can do the same with Lexus.
Old 08-13-18, 12:01 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by abenjack
I get it and normally I like it in normal mode. A quick accel around a turn and stays ready for any next surprises. I just feather the throttle if I want it to shift up.

One thing about sport mode....If I want the max performance I definitely use it. Personally I cannot yet match the same performance with manual mode. I wont shift low enough, fast enough, etc.
The following users liked this post:
abenjack (08-14-18)
Old 08-13-18, 12:04 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
To save gas new cars always shift up fast as long as it is possible.
This applies to the ECO mode only, the two other driving mods (in my IS350) stay in a lower gear a bit longer.
Old 08-13-18, 12:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Htony
Unless you want to drive with paddle shift watching tach. Driving in automatic tranny shifting is automatic, No? To save gas new cars always shift up fast as long as it is possible. Also TCU will learn your driving habit. With Mercedes vehicle it is very easy to put the TCU into learn mode. I wonder whether one can do the same with Lexus.
AFAIK you'd pretty much have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to make it go back to learning mode.

Maybe some of the differences folks are noticing are due to the learning?
Old 08-13-18, 01:47 PM
V350
Pit Crew

^ Newer cars have ECU's that are constantly adapting. In the old days yes, shift points were learned when car was new or battery reset.
Old 08-13-18, 03:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars

^ Newer cars have ECU's that are constantly adapting. In the old days yes, shift points were learned when car was new or battery reset.
Yeah I did a little research, it does look like certain aspects of how the shifts happen - solenoid pressure, torque converter lock-up, and just shift timing in general - are adjusted over time. I've always read online that if the transmission is acting up, to try disconnecting the battery to get the programming back to its factory mapping. But yeah that could be "conventional" wisdom at best.
Old 08-14-18, 11:44 AM
V350
Pit Crew

A LOT of armchair experts. I tend to take advice from industry experts or those that can actually take apart a motor.
Old 08-14-18, 12:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

A LOT of armchair experts. I tend to take advice from industry experts or those that can actually take apart a motor.
That's cool. No one in here is claiming to be an expert. No need to devalue everyone's authority.

Anyone here who can take apart a "motor"? I think you meant "engine", but yeah, continue to solicit advice.
The following users liked this post:
abenjack (08-14-18)

Quick Reply: Gear vs Speed