IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gear vs Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 12:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
AFAIK you'd pretty much have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to make it go back to learning mode.

Maybe some of the differences folks are noticing are due to the learning?
In regard to learn mode my wife complained it drives not like her old car. After I put the car in learn mode she noticed and said it drives better.
Old 08-14-18, 01:30 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
A LOT of armchair experts. I tend to take advice from industry experts or those that can actually take apart a motor.
Wait why did you start a thread if you were going to just reject what everyone said because you think they are pretending to be experts that makes no sense to me.
Old 08-14-18, 01:37 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Wait why did you start a thread if you were going to just reject what everyone said because you think they are pretending to be experts that makes no sense to me.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
Old 08-15-18, 06:58 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Woah there, the armchair comment was in reference to @arentz07 "But yeah that could be "conventional" wisdom at best" post. NOT devaluing this thread or its advice. Def taken out of context. It was ONLY in reference to certain "conventional" wisdom things, (like ecu mappings, break in procedures) where there is a lot of opinions but its a complicated matter best left to experts.

Next time I'll use quotes function for that, sorry
Old 08-15-18, 07:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,883 Likes on 1,961 Posts

All I meant to say was that sometimes I forget that a lot of the advice I hear about cars is based on outdated opinions. Now that I re-read the conversation, I think you understood that. However, when I read your comment I perceived it as calling the above posters armchair experts, rather than the people I was referring to with the conventional wisdom. So my bad, I overreacted/misunderstood a bit.
Old 08-15-18, 04:08 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Woah there, the armchair comment was in reference to @arentz07 "But yeah that could be "conventional" wisdom at best" post. NOT devaluing this thread or its advice. Def taken out of context. It was ONLY in reference to certain "conventional" wisdom things, (like ecu mappings, break in procedures) where there is a lot of opinions but its a complicated matter best left to experts.

Next time I'll use quotes function for that, sorry
Ah gotcha, the way you wrote it seemed like you were saying we were all armchair experts. Yeah, I would try to word things differently next time as it is hard to infer tone by reading sentences. But yeah, there are things that only experts can truly answer and all most of us can do is guess or try to research as much as possible.
Old 08-15-18, 04:38 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

To clarify, I meant minimum speed for each gear. When I had an FRS, I think the owners manual listed this. The overlap has been what I have been paying attention to when in the gear view on the speedo screen. I've been surprised when I'm only at 17 mph and already in 4th gear in auto mode.
In old days some cars Toyota included there was a light on the dash to signal time to shift.... If one wants to drive really, get a car with manual shift.
Old 08-15-18, 04:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

To clarify, I meant minimum speed for each gear. When I had an FRS, I think the owners manual listed this. The overlap has been what I have been paying attention to when in the gear view on the speedo screen. I've been surprised when I'm only at 17 mph and already in 4th gear in auto mode.
In old days some cars Toyota included there was a light on the dash to signal time to shift.... If one wants to drive really, get a car with manual shift.
Old 08-15-18, 04:54 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

AFAIK you'd pretty much have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to make it go back to learning mode.

Maybe some of the differences folks are noticing are due to the learning?
Disconnect battery to do it on Lexus? On MB it takes a few minutes sitting in the driver's seat with ignition in run mode. You can do it any time you want.
TCU is controlling tranny communicating with ECU, that's what I understand. Actually putting TCU to learn mode takes few seconds then TCU and ECU
communicate which takes few minutes. That's all. There are some Youtube tutorials about this.
Old 08-15-18, 05:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Htony
Disconnect battery to do it on Lexus? On MB it takes a few minutes sitting in the driver's seat with ignition in run mode. You can do it any time you want.
TCU is controlling tranny communicating with ECU, that's what I understand. Actually putting TCU to learn mode takes few seconds then TCU and ECU
communicate which takes few minutes. That's all. There are some Youtube tutorials about this.
Well, it would seem the TCU in Lexus vehicles is continuously adapting. Disconnecting the battery would just put it back to factory mappings.
Old 08-15-18, 05:37 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Well, it would seem the TCU in Lexus vehicles is continuously adapting. Disconnecting the battery would just put it back to factory mappings.
TCU is subset of ECU. IMO, TCU is not independent.
Old 08-16-18, 09:45 AM
V350
Pit Crew

The FRS I had before my Lexus had a shift light/beep you could set. I do miss that. My understanding is most new cars are continuing to vary setting with the ECU depending on many factors. Such is the sophistication of modern engine computers.
Old 08-16-18, 10:43 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Well, the IS does have the Rev Indicator setting, which turns the tach red. You could use that as a makeshift shift light, but it'd be fixed of course.

Basically if you are trying to be efficient it's probably best to let the auto do its thing.
Old 08-16-18, 01:18 PM
V350
Pit Crew

^ Pretty much what I'm doing. It's more important when downshifting to know gear will be available to somewhat anticipate versus reacting when, oh theres a beep, I can't go down anymore.

Quick Reply: Gear vs Speed