IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire Oppinions - All Season

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18 | 09:49 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
Hrm, I am confused. Have you owned both the Potenzas and the P Zeroes? But yeah reviews look mostly positive on the RE980AS. I don't think Costco even offers the P Zero in stock IS sizes. The only other options I have are the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. (What a mouthful those are!) I've heard the BFGoodrich tires are good too, and much cheaper than any of the other options if you ignore the discount being run on Bridgestones.
I have the PZero's. The road noise issue is mainly on any all season tires as they use harder compound.

My comment about the RE980AS was from what I have read on the BMW forums and tirerack comparisons. I almost got those for my IS350 but PZero's were on sale and given our cars eat the front tires for breakfast, I picked the cheaper of the two.
Old 08-14-18 | 10:35 AM
V350
Pit Crew

My brother's IS200t has the Turanzas. Not that great. Contis and Michellin are good. Some like Hankook Ventus V12s, but they have a VERY soft sidewall and this is a heavy car.
Old 08-15-18 | 01:00 PM
AlexTheMan
Driver School Candidate

My 2014 IS350 came with staggered 18" Bridgestone Turanza ER33 summer tires. Their performance was good but I had to replace them at 25k due to inner wall wear. I am in Houston so summer tire are OK for me. I ended up getting Conti DWS 06. I also did an alignment at the dealer and made sure that front wheels were set at zero toe to eliminate inner wall wear. Based on some reading, the cars come from factory with some toe-in for better handling. The tow-in or zero toe are all within factory alignment range.

DWS, combined with zero toe, felt a bit different initially before getting used to it. Can't tell for sure if the tires or the alignment was the culprit. The car felt a bit softer and handling was a slightly worse. Anyhow, got used to it soon after. I put 20k miles on the Contis so far and the wear has been uniform with plenty of life remaining.
Old 08-15-18 | 02:24 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AlexTheMan
My 2014 IS350 came with staggered 18" Bridgestone Turanza ER33 summer tires. Their performance was good but I had to replace them at 25k due to inner wall wear. I am in Houston so summer tire are OK for me. I ended up getting Conti DWS 06. I also did an alignment at the dealer and made sure that front wheels were set at zero toe to eliminate inner wall wear. Based on some reading, the cars come from factory with some toe-in for better handling. The tow-in or zero toe are all within factory alignment range.

DWS, combined with zero toe, felt a bit different initially before getting used to it. Can't tell for sure if the tires or the alignment was the culprit. The car felt a bit softer and handling was a slightly worse. Anyhow, got used to it soon after. I put 20k miles on the Contis so far and the wear has been uniform with plenty of life remaining.
So the DWS06 are all-seasons. So they are harder compound. I noticed when I switched from summer to all-seasons that the steering wheel became lighter as the tires are not so sticky anymore. As for the tire wear, you are lucky you got 25K miles on the stocks. Mine were done at 10K.
Regarding setting the toe to zero, I dont think it will eliminate the front inner tire wear. The problem is the lower control arm bushing which is a soft rubber from the factory. And everytime you break or turn, the rubber flexes leading to the tires toe-out and inner tire wear. You can see a ton of videos on this on youtube. Also you can read about the RR racing LCA bushes for our cars which is meant to control the toe out under braking and turns. The reason the tire wear is controlled in your case now is that the tires are all-seasons which dont wear out so fast.
Old 08-16-18 | 08:24 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
So the DWS06 are all-seasons. So they are harder compound. I noticed when I switched from summer to all-seasons that the steering wheel became lighter as the tires are not so sticky anymore. As for the tire wear, you are lucky you got 25K miles on the stocks. Mine were done at 10K.
Regarding setting the toe to zero, I dont think it will eliminate the front inner tire wear. The problem is the lower control arm bushing which is a soft rubber from the factory. And everytime you break or turn, the rubber flexes leading to the tires toe-out and inner tire wear. You can see a ton of videos on this on youtube. Also you can read about the RR racing LCA bushes for our cars which is meant to control the toe out under braking and turns. The reason the tire wear is controlled in your case now is that the tires are all-seasons which dont wear out so fast.
Not exactly. I had the stock Turanza EL400-002 all-season tires, and I experienced the inner wear. Service department pointed it out at 17,000 miles. They gave me additional toe-in in order to help fight the toe out under braking. With this, I also put a bit more air in the front tires. It seemed to work. I checked my tires at about 20,000 and it seemed like the inner wear was no worse relative to the outer wear.

So I do think toe makes a difference, but I wouldn't just change it. It should be 0 under most conditions. I think for me it makes sense since I don't drive at highway speeds all that often.
Old 08-18-18 | 02:29 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Conti DWS is a great tire for those in the midwest, liek Napalvr said, they are not to be dismissed.
I've tried numerous and while those listed above are great, at least for our needs here, the DWS (and their newer DWS06 line too) has done quite well.
I have tried several all seasons, including the Michelins. The Conti DWS has had by far the greatest tread life of the bunch. It is also MUCH quieter than Michelin and handles moderate snow well.
Old 08-20-18 | 10:50 AM
Adpuf
Driver School Candidate

I am also in the need of new tires. All season.
my car came with a Bridgestone Turanza EL400 - 02

I'm just curious... Are these tires not good? Any particular reason why I should go with a different brand?

I live in Illinois
Old 08-20-18 | 01:13 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Adpuf
I am also in the need of new tires. All season.
my car came with a Bridgestone Turanza EL400 - 02

I'm just curious... Are these tires not good? Any particular reason why I should go with a different brand?

I live in Illinois
The Turanzas have been widely criticized for their low treadwear and mediocre wet/snow grip. For instance, check the reviews here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ke=Bridgestone

For what it's worth I think the IS performs reasonably well with the tires, but the low treadwear rating of 260 remains an issue.
Old 08-24-18 | 12:51 PM
ZISF
Driver School Candidate

From the sounds of it I have to look at the Conti DWS for tread wear and quiet ride or the Michelin for handling and superior performance in winter. Tough choices.

Thanks everyone for your feedback
Old 09-01-18 | 11:51 AM
arentz07

I just pulled the trigger on the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S. Turns out the inner wear was getting pretty bad on the fronts again, but I decided to just go ahead and replace all four. Will let you guys know how they are!
Old 09-01-18 | 03:48 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

i have the comp 2 a/s for a few years now. you'll notice right off the bat, shorter stopping distance and they stick like glue in turns. DWS are better in the snow but they don't handle well and steering feel is numb.
Old 09-03-18 | 09:35 AM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

My oem front petenzas burned through the inside in 9k. Ridiculous for a car of this caliber. Throwing a set of Goodyear’s on until I can get new/stiffer bushings. Dealer says it’s out of alignment. Standard excuse. Anyone else experiencing that drastic of tire wear? With normal commuter driving?
The following users liked this post:
jracerlmn (04-30-19)
Old 09-03-18 | 03:29 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Heagy80
My oem front petenzas burned through the inside in 9k. Ridiculous for a car of this caliber. Throwing a set of Goodyear’s on until I can get new/stiffer bushings. Dealer says it’s out of alignment. Standard excuse. Anyone else experiencing that drastic of tire wear? With normal commuter driving?
Well, like I said, my fronts were gone on the inside in just under 22k miles. They were down to 2/32", but the rears still had 6/32". 9k sounds a lot worse than I would expect, but it's not uncommon for inner tire wear to become an issue in the 3IS.
Old 09-03-18 | 03:49 PM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, like I said, my fronts were gone on the inside in just under 22k miles. They were down to 2/32", but the rears still had 6/32". 9k sounds a lot worse than I would expect, but it's not uncommon for inner tire wear to become an issue in the 3IS.
right! I will thrownnew ones on and get the dealer to align and then watch closely. I want to see the alignment report as I wonder if the thing was ever aligned properly in the first place. Bought it new with a few hundred miles on it. So these are the first 9k on the car period.

May pull the trigger on the aftermarket bushings.. stiffer ride but it keeps the tire from toe-ing in, therefore saving the front tires.

I also want to see if lexus’s Spec settings for alignment have the tire cambered. Corvettes will be set like that for track mode but not for street.
Old 09-04-18 | 06:49 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Try YOKOHAMA brand and see !

Quick Reply: Tire Oppinions - All Season