IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Moonroof leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 01:34 PM
krys10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moonroof leaking

I don’t know if you can see the water...
Okay guys I’m getting mixes answers here when reading about the amount of water that should drop from the moon roof.

I originally brought my Lexis IS200t into the dealership due to the sunroof not opening when it was hot and leaking.

The first time I brought her in they replaced the seal and said it was fixed, driving home from the dealership I tried to open the moonroof, and it didn’t open. I brought it back and they replaced the motor.

Fast forward 2 weeks, we had a major rain storm and I noticed that water was dripping from my moon roof. I ran my hand across the seal and noticed my hand was wet with water droplets...so my question is, how much water is okay to drip in the drains? I’ve never delt with a sunroof issue like this.

The dealeeahip first said it was normal after they ran it through the car wash a couple times, to me it didn’t seem right so I called customer support, they said it was NOT normal. So I Then spoke with the service manager and he is having his Lexus engineer look at it. (It’s been there now for a week)

i just want to make sure I’m not overreacting, and having them do all this for something that is normal for a Lexus...
Old 08-10-18, 01:41 PM
jakuum
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Umm, no amount of water is acceptable. The sunroof shouldn't leak inside at all. If the dealership is saying that water leaking inside of the car through the sunroof is "normal" I'd find a different dealership.
Old 08-10-18, 02:01 PM
krys10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jakuum
Umm, no amount of water is acceptable. The sunroof shouldn't leak inside at all. If the dealership is saying that water leaking inside of the car through the sunroof is "normal" I'd find a different dealership.
That’s what I thought too...then I read some posts about the drain tube or something like that
Old 08-10-18, 02:04 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I’d have to agree, no amount is normal. When the roof is closed, no water should intrude the cabin area where you can feel. When it’s open, the outside rail area, there may be some water, which drains to the hoses built into the chassis for evacuation. Closed though, none should be seen or felt, there is an issue with your vehicle. You are within your rights to be concerned with this.
Old 08-10-18, 02:16 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

The sunroof gasket is $50 and is easy to replace. I'd be through the roof up their ... if they told me that was normal first then proceeded to keep the car for a WEEK.
Old 08-10-18, 05:03 PM
krys10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr
I’d have to agree, no amount is normal. When the roof is closed, no water should intrude the cabin area where you can feel. When it’s open, the outside rail area, there may be some water, which drains to the hoses built into the chassis for evacuation. Closed though, none should be seen or felt, there is an issue with your vehicle. You are within your rights to be concerned with this.
Thank you! I hope they fix it this time. Or I’ll just find somewhere else...so frustrating
Old 08-10-18, 06:32 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Like everyone else said, at no point is it normal to have water inside the cabin. You shouldn't be able to feel water with your hand either. The water should be on the outside at all times. Any water that gets through the outside seal goes into the corners through the tubes and out behind the wheel wells and all that happens through the outside. I'm pretty certain sticking your hand in deep into the sunroof area through the inside you still shouldn't be able to feel water. I haven't checked to see if you can get your fingers to where the water evacuates to the tubes in the corners from the inside of the cabin on this car, but you said it was dripping which is not NORMAL at ALL! That dealership is really crazy. Let us know what happens.
Old 08-11-18, 10:00 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

No amount of water should be dripping from a sunroof... your dealership is an absolute joke if they said that is normal. I'd call corporate office and complain. Most likely is a gasket or the seal and having your car for over a week to assess this is not normal either.
Old 09-17-21, 04:02 AM
RJR
Driver School Candidate

$21,000 estimate from Lexus because of electrical problems caused by clogged sunroof drains- LX570 2013 55000 miles in otherwise pristine condition - undetectable sunroof drain clog quickly resulted in numerous electrical issues and mold under carpet after heavy rains/storms - Is this possible ? I’m floored by the estimate and how quickly it all manifested - car is perfect otherwise - thanks for the feedback
Old 09-17-21, 04:36 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by RJR
$21,000 estimate from Lexus because of electrical problems caused by clogged sunroof drains- LX570 2013 55000 miles in otherwise pristine condition - undetectable sunroof drain clog quickly resulted in numerous electrical issues and mold under carpet after heavy rains/storms - Is this possible ? I’m floored by the estimate and how quickly it all manifested - car is perfect otherwise - thanks for the feedback
Welcome to the forum!

You may want to pose your question in a new thread in the LX forum, here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...8-present-203/
You posted it in the IS forum, for reference.

As a basic answer to your question, clogged drains is a potential for any vehicle with a sunroof.
The damage water can cause in electronics is limitless...based on the high estimate it's likely some modules got damaged. Any time you're replacing computers in a vehicle it's going to get expensive...and I'm sure the LX has a lot of computers.
The harnesses that leave the roof and extended into the vehicle just become highways for water to travel into electrical components.
And mold cleanup usually means replacing everything that can be replaced, and cleaning what can't...i.e. the floor carpet would be replaced, and the floor itself cleaned
The following users liked this post:
RJR (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 05:45 AM
RJR
Driver School Candidate

Sasnuke- Thoughtful reply, trust I appreciate it!