IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Rim/Tires... Already damaged. FML.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 06:01 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default New Rim/Tires... Already damaged. FML.

Got these installed last month.

I was washing my car today, and found this...I don't even know how this happened.

Its not a curb rash, since the same side front is not damaged, and I would have known it was a curb.

Piece of the tire side wall chipped off as well.

I'm thinking it may be a pot hole some time ago..but I'm more concern if the tire damage is any of significant to safety.

Any inputs?

Old 08-12-18, 06:25 PM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely from a pothole, I’ve had that happen before. The tire damage doesn’t look bad but it’s on the sidewall. Might wanna get it checked out.
Old 08-12-18, 06:31 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinox22x
Definitely from a pothole, I’ve had that happen before. The tire damage doesn’t look bad but it’s on the sidewall. Might wanna get it checked out.
I may have driven for weeks like this... as I just recently discovered it.

I do not feel a difference in driving experience. Did some research on this, and getting some mix results on replacing or not (these tires are 1 month old).

* There was also a piece of the tire hanging.. which I had cut off.
Old 08-12-18, 07:17 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

The damage looks cosmetic at this point. Once you can't see the carcass of the tire through the rubber, you should be good to go.
Too bad about the damage though.
Old 08-12-18, 07:25 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The damage looks cosmetic at this point. Once you can't see the carcass of the tire through the rubber, you should be good to go.
Too bad about the damage though.
Yeah that really blows. It looks to me like it’s fine I don’t see any crucial damage looks cosmetic like Sasnuke said. I’ve had random sidewall damage before but mine was a little hole and no air leaked but I didn’t take a risk as it looked like it went all the way into the internal part of the tire.
Old 08-12-18, 07:36 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys for the reassurance.

Both rim and tires have less than 500 miles on it.. So kinda sad this had to happen so soon. Must be them dang potholes in my town ffs.

The rim rash.. I can live with this. Will cost ~$100-150 to fix.. but a new rim cost a little over $300 lol.

I'll keep monitoring the tire for any cracks/bulging/air leaks. But I must have been driving with this damage for days/weeks, and I felt no difference.

Car is 3 years old.. already learned to live with its flaws lol.
Old 08-12-18, 09:53 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Those look like Hankook Ventus V12s. I had those on my old car, and they are good tires but have VERY soft sidewalls, to the point the tires look flat when I parked on an angled driveway. I can imagine it being deflected a lot over a pothole with a car that is this heavy, and it allowed the rim to contact the ground. There are many options for rim repair, as long as its not structural and just cosmetic. Tire its hard to say.
Old 08-12-18, 10:36 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Many tires including yours have a sacrificial lip on the edge of the bead to help protect the rim from small scuffs. Or at least that's the idea.

The damage appears to only be cosmetic and not something I'd worry about if that's all the damage there is.
Old 08-12-18, 10:38 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by V350
Those look like Hankook Ventus V12s. I had those on my old car, and they are good tires but have VERY soft sidewalls, to the point the tires look flat when I parked on an angled driveway. I can imagine it being deflected a lot over a pothole with a car that is this heavy, and it allowed the rim to contact the ground. There are many options for rim repair, as long as its not structural and just cosmetic. Tire its hard to say.
Yeah, they are the Hankook Evo2 v12. I saw alot of peeps run these, so I decided to pick them up. Also, budget friendly. Now, I'm regretting if I should had just dished on more $$ for the Michelin PSS...

Texted my Lexus Tech friend, he said car is fine/still safe.

Don't think I will bother to repair the rim, not gonna be worth the $100ish as a brand new one cost about ~$300ish. Trying to limit my spending on car stuff nowadays, and yaknow sht will always happen no matter how careful.

Last edited by nathantse; 08-12-18 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 04:50 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 199 Posts

you can sand it down and "fill" it similar to how a member on here showed how to do with the OEM f sport wheels (sorry I cannot find the thread at this moment) and if lucky, find the closest color match in touch up paint.

As for the tire, it sucks, I had a similar issue.

What kind of wheels did you get, any photos?
Old 08-13-18, 06:52 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Here’s the DIY E46CT wrote up to fix curb rash if you’d like to try it out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-up-paint.html
Old 08-13-18, 08:13 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

This happened to me too. I paid to have the wheel repaired, and had the tire removed and remounted with damaged side of tire on the inside of car to hide it.
Old 08-13-18, 10:01 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dteskmo
This happened to me too. I paid to have the wheel repaired, and had the tire removed and remounted with damaged side of tire on the inside of car to hide it.
Ventus V12s, you can't flip them, they are directional. They ARE good tires. I liked the way they handled. But there is going to be a difference between having them on a 2700 lb car and a 3600 lb car. Enjoy them, then find some with a stiffer sidewall when time for a new set. That's the great thing about tires, so many options and its the biggest and actually most budget friendly way to significantly play around with handling characteristics of any car.

Last edited by V350; 08-13-18 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 11:19 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dteskmo
With directional tire More than one tire has to be involved.

Old 08-13-18, 01:46 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, think I'ma just leave it as is. As long as I can still drive the car, all it matters. (My DD)

Checked tire psi today. All this normal.

Honesty would not have found out about this if I didn't decide to wash the car yesterday. Was gonna hold off till next week lol.

Don't recall hitting any large dips or potholes recently... So this may have been there for some time.

Quick Reply: New Rim/Tires... Already damaged. FML.