IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation display choppy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18 | 04:56 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Default Navigation display choppy

I have a 2018 3IS and one thing that's bothered me is how choppy (or pixelated maybe?) the animations are.

Especially when making a turn and the screen rotates as well, all the street lines get the zigzag look to them and the animation moving forward is more like "step...step...step".

We have a 2018 Mazda CX9 and even though the maps are craptastic they are at least smooth.

Is there any setting that can minimize this or is it just bad to begin with?
Old 08-23-18 | 08:20 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I have a 2018 3IS and one thing that's bothered me is how choppy (or pixelated maybe?) the animations are.

Especially when making a turn and the screen rotates as well, all the street lines get the zigzag look to them and the animation moving forward is more like "step...step...step".

We have a 2018 Mazda CX9 and even though the maps are craptastic they are at least smooth.

Is there any setting that can minimize this or is it just bad to begin with?
There was a thread about this recently. Basically we found out that if you have GPS you can’t turn off the animations, BUT if you don’t have GPS and you go to settings, you can turn off animations and it makes the interface MUCH quicker. I turned off animations and the UI is so much better.
Old 08-23-18 | 09:48 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flash5

There was a thread about this recently. Basically we found out that if you have GPS you can’t turn off the animations, BUT if you don’t have GPS and you go to settings, you can turn off animations and it makes the interface MUCH quicker. I turned off animations and the UI is so much better.

The actual UI is super speedy, it's only when looking at the map while driving. The streets stutter as you move along, and pixelate when you take a turn and the map screen "rotates" if you know what I mean. I've found that putting the "map viewing angle" to the birds eye view makes the issues worse rather than having the flat 2D layout (the 3D view looks much better IMO). It's just not a smooth moving map screen is what it comes down too.
Old 08-23-18 | 09:52 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

The actual UI is super speedy, it's only when looking at the map while driving. The streets stutter as you move along, and pixelate when you take a turn and the map screen "rotates" if you know what I mean. I've found that putting the "map viewing angle" to the birds eye view makes the issues worse rather than having the flat 2D layout (the 3D view looks much better IMO). It's just not a smooth moving map screen is what it comes down too.
Oh, if it’s just the maps you’re having issues with idk that there is a fix for that. Maybe someone else can help out on that part.
Old 08-23-18 | 10:00 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Oh, if it’s just the maps you’re having issues with idk that there is a fix for that. Maybe someone else can help out on that part.
I figure it's just a crappy map interface. It's terrible that Lexus would include something that looks 10 years old in a brand new car (visual and performance).
Old 08-23-18 | 10:05 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I figure it's just a crappy map interface. It's terrible that Lexus would include something that looks 10 years old in a brand new car (visual and performance).
It does **** me off that the Japanese manufacturers refuse to push technology and engineering in their vehicles until the competition blows them out of the water. The only reason the Japanese even hold onto customers is their reliability reputation and that’s why I only buy Japanese vehicles. I wish Toyota/Lexus would push either technology or engineering one or the other if they won’t do both lol.
Old 08-23-18 | 11:29 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

It does **** me off that the Japanese manufacturers refuse to push technology and engineering in their vehicles until the competition blows them out of the water. The only reason the Japanese even hold onto customers is their reliability reputation and that’s why I only buy Japanese vehicles. I wish Toyota/Lexus would push either technology or engineering one or the other if they won’t do both lol.
Yup. 10 years ago I bought a 2008 IS250 with navigation, and it was pretty cutting edge for that time (compared to most of the competition). But the evolution has been almost non-existent whereas all other brands (including the American brands) have far surpassed them. To think that you will spend almost $100k on a brand new LS500 and still get a wacky UI, sub-par maps graphics, and no Apple Carplay or Android Auto, blows my mind. You take a look at what the E or S-Class are packing in, or the new A6/A8 and the brand from a technology standpoint is laughable. Luckily they have the tried and true reliability and build quality to hang their hat on, but newer buyers EXPECT more tech especially at the price point.