IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brakes-the joke is on me

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18 | 06:56 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I know the Akebono ACTs were mentioned above and these are F-Sport pad replacements, but can anyone confirm if this matters if the car is AWD or RWD? I am interested in purchased a set (F and R) on the F sport AWD (2015).
TIA.
Doesn't matter. I installed the ACT's on my '18 IS350 F-Sport AWD.
Old 08-30-18 | 11:25 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Changing Brake Pads might be easy, but you need to also resurface the rotors which is not (without specialty equipment).
I may be in the minority, or I may be very very wrong, but I think resurfacing rotors is largely unnecessary and just an excuse for brake shops to charge more for pad replacements. Unless you had some kind of really expensive rotor with a lot of metal on it.

Normal rotors can only tolerate about 2-3 mm of combined wear (inner and outer) before needing replaced anyway. I never understood shaving off good metal to get a smooth surface when all you are doing is shortening the life of the rotor. To me, if the rotor is badly grooved just replace it. If its worn, replace it. But if it's smooth and has life left, change your pads and press on. This is why I went to replacing my own pads and rotors - got tired of the shops telling me they wouldn't do a pad replacement without resurfacing.

And +1 on the ACTs - love mine, glad I did it.
Old 08-30-18 | 11:29 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I may be in the minority, or I may be very very wrong, but I think resurfacing rotors is largely unnecessary and just an excuse for brake shops to charge more for pad replacements. Unless you had some kind of really expensive rotor with a lot of metal on it.

Normal rotors can only tolerate about 2-3 mm of combined wear (inner and outer) before needing replaced anyway. I never understood shaving off good metal to get a smooth surface when all you are doing is shortening the life of the rotor. To me, if the rotor is badly grooved just replace it. If its worn, replace it. But if it's smooth and has life left, change your pads and press on. This is why I went to replacing my own pads and rotors - got tired of the shops telling me they wouldn't do a pad replacement without resurfacing.

And +1 on the ACTs - love mine, glad I did it.
I’m in the same boat, I replaced my pads on my G37S and didn’t change or resurface the rotors and I haven’t had any issues for the past year. I’m not a big believer in resurfacing. The funny thing is before I changed my pads I felt pulsations when I would brake, after I installed the new pads and did the break in procedure it’s been gone.
Old 08-30-18 | 11:48 AM
evltwn
Advanced

I made it to about 34k miles on my original front brake pads and rotors before being replaced. Lexus, Toyota, and an independent brake shop all recommended replacing just the fronts. The rears are still good. I do drive mine "like I stole it" so the fact that I made it to 34k is good. Original owner 2014 IS250 FSport.
Old 08-30-18 | 09:56 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nvbirdman
You guys pulled a fast one on me, but I'm a good sport, I can take a joke.
2014 IS 350 F Sport. All this talk about the brakes needing new pads after only 12K miles or so got me a little concerned since I'm up to about 34K, so I ordered new pads and they arrived yesterday. I was going to wait until Sunday to do the work, but it's supposed to be such an easy job that I decided to do it this afternoon when I got home.
First, the non-joke part. It is supposed to be a quick and easy job and I agree completely with that opinion. Pull a clip, tap out a pin, and slide out the pads. Nothing to it.
Now the joke part. You had me convinced that at 34K I would desperately need new pads. Ha, ha, ha. Like I said, I can take a joke. I pulled a pad out, compared it to the new pads and put the old pad back in the car. I'm sure the old pads will be good for another 20K if not more.
I'm old and I drive like a grandpa, but you guys must be really hotrodding your cars.
I dumped the F Sport front pads at 5K miles only because I was sick of the brake dust. I am not a DIY guy. My trusted technician and friend installed Sumitomo low dust pads. The performance is good. I’m in a lot of start and stop traffic, so I’ve never been in situations that the difference in bite would be noticeable. I have 17K on the Sumitomos and 70% brake life left. I don’t late brake like most people I see in my rear view mirror, Front end dive at the last minute. Usually SUVs. Anyway, those driving habits are what cause 12k mile brake pad swaps to be needed.
Old 12-23-18 | 08:45 PM
bajong
Driver

Originally Posted by MacroZed
I changed my pads to Akebonos front and rear at 340 miles. The brake dust on the OEM Textars are awful! I had brake dust covering the entire back end of the car...looked awful on Ultra White.
My wife just got a 2018 IS 350 F-sport in Ultra White (red interior) a week ago. She drove only about 100 miles and the wheels are absolutely covered in brake dust.

I was having this problem last year when I purchased my 2017 RCF, but I found a TSB where I could get the original pads replaced with pads that generated less brake dust. A year and a half later, I am very satisfied with the pads on my car.

Does Lexus have any TSB that applies to 2018 IS 350’s with regards the replacing pads that create excessive brake dust? If not, I will probably change over to Akebono pads as I don’t want to be washing her wheels every weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated. We are now a Lexus family with his and hers

Old 12-23-18 | 10:06 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Just hose them off, it'll take off 60% of the dust. With pads you get performance and bite, or no dust and less noise. Won't get it both ways
Old 12-23-18 | 11:50 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Burrcold
That would be some kind of record if you could get 54k on the OEM F-Sport pads regardless of driving style. But hey maybe you do a lot of highway miles that don't require you to brake very often.
Just got my IS350 with 62,000kms. About 20-30% remaining on the fronts (70% rear), and I agree -- is there really a point to turning rotors unless they are damaged or gouged? If that bad then replace them, if not, then some ridges and such give more surface area!

Any source recos for the Akebonos? Maybe worth replacing all four corners instead of just fronts, for dust and performance alone?
Old 12-23-18 | 11:55 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Originally Posted by bajong

My wife just got a 2018 IS 350 F-sport in Ultra White (red interior) a week ago. She drove only about 100 miles and the wheels are absolutely covered in brake dust.

I was having this problem last year when I purchased my 2017 RCF, but I found a TSB where I could get the original pads replaced with pads that generated less brake dust. A year and a half later, I am very satisfied with the pads on my car.

Does Lexus have any TSB that applies to 2018 IS 350’s with regards the replacing pads that create excessive brake dust? If not, I will probably change over to Akebono pads as I don’t want to be washing her wheels every weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated. We are now a Lexus family with his and hers

the TSB replaces the black F pad with blue pads which is low dust and less initial bite, im running the blue pad and I wont go back, for my driving style i notice no negative effects
Old 12-24-18 | 01:34 AM
bajong
Driver

[QUOTE=TonyN;10392303]the TSB replaces the black F pad with blue pads which is low dust and less initial bite, im running the blue pad and I wont go back, for my driving style i notice no negative effects[/QUOTE
Can you please post a copy of the TSB that covers the 2018 IS350? I would love to replace the front and rear pads
Old 12-24-18 | 05:29 AM
lychee416
Driver

Originally Posted by tabjohitol
I just changed all the original pads on my 2015 F-sport at around 50k. My fronts had a bit of wear, but the rears looked like they could go another 20-25k.
Is this miles?
Old 12-24-18 | 09:57 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nvbirdman
You guys pulled a fast one on me, but I'm a good sport, I can take a joke.
2014 IS 350 F Sport. All this talk about the brakes needing new pads after only 12K miles or so got me a little concerned since I'm up to about 34K, so I ordered new pads and they arrived yesterday. I was going to wait until Sunday to do the work, but it's supposed to be such an easy job that I decided to do it this afternoon when I got home.
First, the non-joke part. It is supposed to be a quick and easy job and I agree completely with that opinion. Pull a clip, tap out a pin, and slide out the pads. Nothing to it.
Now the joke part. You had me convinced that at 34K I would desperately need new pads. Ha, ha, ha. Like I said, I can take a joke. I pulled a pad out, compared it to the new pads and put the old pad back in the car. I'm sure the old pads will be good for another 20K if not more.
I'm old and I drive like a grandpa, but you guys must be really hotrodding your cars.
You should have had a Dealer Maintenance at 30k. Are you not getting your oil changed at the dealer? They would have told you that you do not need pads.

Also, you can't just throw on pads. You need to resurface the rotors, which you won't be able to do at home.
Old 12-25-18 | 10:56 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

He does not need to resurface rotors. When they're worn out he should buy new ones. This is not a corolla. I came from owning BMW's for more than a decade and BMW never recommends resurfacing rotors but i noticed people who drive Asian cars always advocating resurfacing of rotors.
Old 12-25-18 | 01:57 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EXE46
He does not need to resurface rotors. When they're worn out he should buy new ones. This is not a corolla. I came from owning BMW's for more than a decade and BMW never recommends resurfacing rotors but i noticed people who drive Asian cars always advocating resurfacing of rotors.
Yeah, BMW just says you have to replace them every time, no matter what. I suppose resurfacing cleans them up, removes glaze and such, provides a flat contact area, but is there really an advantage performance or otherwise? As said, even if you have mild concentric ridges then you're in effect getting more surface area once the pads adjust.

If they are in that bad of shape that turning is "needed" then they should be replaced. I'm about to go in for service and get mine done at the same time, but they said they will charge the same 1.5 whether I have the rotors turned or replaced, NOT including the price of parts. They also said they won't just replace pads, the rotors have to be done. Very tempting to just say "forget it" and simply put the new pads in myself. Doesn't even require removal of the calipers.
Old 12-25-18 | 05:35 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EXE46
Rotors are not close to worn out at 34k. You need to resurface them every time you change the pads, unless they are at their minimun thickness.

Quick Reply: Brakes-the joke is on me