IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Home link

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 12:54 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Home link

I know others have covered it. I have a new 2018 IS350, my home link won't program. I've tried resetting, holding first and third button. It won't program to where the light blinks fast/green. I tried two different remotes. The rest of my family were able to program their Lexus' with no problems. Anything else to try before I visit a dealer?
Old 08-26-18, 01:31 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had a little trouble trying to get Homelink working on my 2018, IS350 as well when I first got it, but this is what worked for me after trying a bunch of times. This is assuming you have a garage door opener that has a rolling code. My opener was a Chamberlain circa 2003 when the house was built, with Security Plus (essentially a rolling code opener).

1. Swap out the battery on the remote with a new fresh one (even though the LED light on the remote turns on and operates the door fine, the battery power might be too low to use for programming that Homelink can detect)
2. Get a ladder and place it under the actual garage door opener motor you want to have programmed and locate the 'Learn' button
3. Back in the car, since you reset the the Homelink on the car already, simultaneously hold the button on the remote and the Homelink button on the rearview mirror you want programmed. Make sure the remote literally is touching the button on the rearview mirror. Hopefully the slow blinking orange light changes to a rapid blinking light.
4. If it does, get out of the car and climb the ladder. Look for a 'Learn' button on the garage opener motor and press it once quickly (don't hold it down).
5. Walk back to your car and press that Homelink button on the rearview mirror you wanted programmed a couple times, then the garage light should flash and go up/down.

The above is standard instructions to get program Homelink, however if pairing still doesn't happen, what worked for me was clearing out ALL codes and starting from scratch for all garage doors I wanted programmed. Do this by pressing and holding the 'Learn' button on the garage opener motor, then reset Homelink again from your rearview mirror. (Sucks I know, but it worked in the end). I re-followed the same steps above and programmed all of my garage doors. I had to re-program other cars previously programmed too, but they all now work.
Old 08-26-18, 04:58 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

It depends on the Garage door opener. Some of the newer ones with Security+ 2.0, an updated version of the Security+ rolling code, will not program to any of the existing Homelink systems. You would need to purchase a module for your garage door opener to intercept and downgrade the Security+ 2.0 codes into the old Security+ codes.
Old 08-28-18, 07:22 AM
lance55
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I could not program using the garage door remote, I had to push the button on the back of the garage door box that hangs from the ceiling (having a brain fart on what that is called).
Old 08-28-18, 08:48 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lance55
I could not program using the garage door remote, I had to push the button on the back of the garage door box that hangs from the ceiling (having a brain fart on what that is called).
It's the 'Learn' button on the garage door overhead motor.
Old 08-28-18, 10:05 AM
V350
Pit Crew

This is an older garage door, probably from late 90's/early 2000s. I will try the learn button next time.
Old 08-28-18, 10:11 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
I know others have covered it. I have a new 2018 IS350, my home link won't program. I've tried resetting, holding first and third button. It won't program to where the light blinks fast/green. I tried two different remotes. The rest of my family were able to program their Lexus' with no problems. Anything else to try before I visit a dealer?
Read and understand procedure to the letter. Nothing to it. Obviously you are doing something wrong. I NEVER had trouble programming home link with may different cars.
Old 08-28-18, 10:14 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
It depends on the Garage door opener. Some of the newer ones with Security+ 2.0, an updated version of the Security+ rolling code, will not program to any of the existing Homelink systems. You would need to purchase a module for your garage door opener to intercept and downgrade the Security+ 2.0 codes into the old Security+ codes.
Always newer version is downward compatible to older version in most cases. That module is called bridge which is needed vert rarely.
Old 08-28-18, 10:35 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Always newer version is downward compatible to older version in most cases. That module is called bridge which is needed vert rarely.
Maybe it's different since I'm not an LTS anymore. It has been 5 years. lol. All I know is that the Pre-2015 Lexus will need the Homelink Bridge. Maybe the newer Homelink mirror that Lexus is using is compatible with Security+ 2.0.
Old 08-28-18, 02:59 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Htony
Read and understand procedure to the letter. Nothing to it. Obviously you are doing something wrong. I NEVER had trouble programming home link with may different cars.
I have never had trouble before either with multiple cars. Which is why I asked for help.
Old 08-28-18, 03:27 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Wish I were in CA (for multiple reason), I'd help you, I did it on my friend's '18 IS with no issues and it was the same procedure I did for the lady's '15 IS and my current LS. I think I only held down ONE button on the homelink until it was blinking super fast, and then at the same time held the button of my garage door opener remote. Once I did that, it seemed to have work each time.
Old 08-28-18, 05:14 PM
V350
Pit Crew

I've tried holding down one button first on the remote, first on the home Link, and at the same time. Nothing. I can't even get to the "learn" mode part of the garage because the home link won't hold the code.
Old 08-29-18, 05:45 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V350
I've tried holding down one button first on the remote, first on the home Link, and at the same time. Nothing. I can't even get to the "learn" mode part of the garage because the home link won't hold the code.
Have you cleared the codes from memory at the opener itself? (ie. pressing and holding the 'Learn' button at the garage opener motor)

If you didn't do that already, try that first. Then drive a place far enough where your garage remote is not in range... this is so you don't continuously open and close the garage which after doing it multiple times in succession, may overheat the garage opener motor.

Once you're far enough away, hold the remote right up to the Homelink button you want programmed in the car. Simultaneously hold down the remote button and that Homelink button on the rearview mirror. You need to hold down on the remote and the Homelink button at the same time probably for a few seconds, maybe 3-5 seconds, and look to see if the orange light on the rearview mirror begins flashing rapidly. If it does, then you're good and all you have to do is drive back to your house and park in front of the garage then follow steps 4 and 5 in my post #2 above.

If it still doesn't sync, try taking apart your remote (as if you were changing its battery). Retry the programming again with the cover on the remote off. If programming somehow works and you get it to sync, it's most likely because the battery in the remote is too weak to provide a strong enough signal to use for programming that Homelink can detect... which is why I suggested swapping out the battery with a new one from the start. Even though the remote LED may look on and may operate the garage fine, it may not be 'powerful' enough to use for programming.
Old 05-26-23, 05:02 PM
Bluenote5
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink Rapid Blink

I'm not sure if this will help anyone but after days of trying to get my RX HomeLink programmed, I found the solution. I cleared the HomeLink by holding buttons 1 & 3. I then held my Genie transmitter behind the mirror, then pressed the transmitter and homelink button I wanted to program. Within second I received the rapid blink. I then went to the garage door unit and pressed the learn button and then back in the car pressing the button I selected previously. It worked perfectly. The key for me was having the hand held transmitter somewhere between the mirror (homelink) and the garage door opener so there was a clear line for the signal to be received. Hope this helps some of you.