IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

First time Lexus IS owner (excited but have questions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 08:17 AM
xillaphl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First time Lexus IS owner (excited but have questions)

Hi all,

I picked up a CPO 2015 IS 250 w/ premium package, nav, etc. from a local dealer last week (29k miles, $26.8k) and I had a few questions I hope you won't mind answering.

1. My commute is on interstate 95 and is about 35 miles each way - how "tough" is the suspension on these cars? I actively avoid potholes but have no choice but to hit road warps, etc. And are there any other miscellaneous recommendations you'd have to ensure longevity?
2. Any suggestions to save on fuel economy? Right now I am using ECO on highway to save on A/C consumption and I typically don't speed above 75 mph
3. I don't brake hard, but how long should I expect the rotors and brakes to last? I'm def not a car guy but I think I am willing to learn how to change them on my own.
4. I noticed fine scratches on the instrument cluster lens and the climate control lens - any wax suggestions to fill those in? They annoy me when the sun hits and I don't think I'm skilled enough to try a plastic polish just yet!
5. Any tips on making the ventilated seats more effective? The soft plastics and "ventilated" seats are my only disappointment thus far.

Thanks guys! You all are the reason I pulled the trigger on my purchase - have been a lurker for a while now!
X

Last edited by xillaphl; 08-31-18 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Add Q 5
Old 08-31-18, 08:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by xillaphl
Hi all,

I picked up a CPO 2015 IS 250 w/ premium package, nav, etc. from a local dealer last week (29k miles, $26.8k) and I had a few questions I hope you won't mind answering.

1. My commute is on interstate 95 and is about 35 miles each way - how "tough" is the suspension on these cars? I actively avoid potholes but have no choice but to hit road warps, etc. And are there any other miscellaneous recommendations you'd have to ensure longevity?
2. Any suggestions to save on fuel economy? Right now I am using ECO on highway to save on A/C consumption and I typically don't speed above 75 mph
3. I don't brake hard, but how long should I expect the rotors and brakes to last? I'm def not a car guy but I think I am willing to learn how to change them on my own.
4. I noticed fine scratches on the instrument cluster lens and the climate control lens - any wax suggestions to fill those in? They annoy me when the sun hits and I don't think I'm skilled enough to try a plastic polish just yet!
5. Any tips on making the ventilated seats more effective? The soft plastics and "ventilated" seats are my only disappointment thus far.

Thanks guys! You all are the reason I pulled the trigger on my purchase - have been a lurker for a while now!
X
Congrats!

I have a 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport. I find the suspension is actually more comfortable on the highway, at speed, than it is around town. I've taken a couple of long-ish drives in this (about 250 miles each way) and found the suspension itself to work quite well for highway driving. Around town it can be a bit firm if the roads aren't perfect, but it's still very much daily drivable.

For me, the best thing I can recommend to save fuel is to accelerate gently and keep the revs low at all times. I am not the biggest fan of Eco mode, due to how laggy the throttle feels while using it. However, I find my MPGs climbing when I am more gentle on the accelerator. On the highway, fuel mileage seems to fall off a cliff if you exceed about 75 MPH, so I try to stay around 70. On my most recent highway trip I managed to get between 25 and 26 MPG by doing this, even though I went up to 80 MPH a few times. (Yours will probably be better since it has the smaller 2.5-liter engine.)

From what I can tell, brakes and rotors on the F Sport models have shorter lives than most other cars on the road. I still have my stock rotors and pads and have put 22k miles on them. I'm planning to take a look at them this weekend and see where they are at. I did have to have the rotors resurfaced at about 14k due to really loud squealing basically all the time during winter.

I have no idea about the fine scratches, but yeah I have some of those too on my gauge cluster. Need to ask about that.

Old 08-31-18, 10:13 AM
xillaphl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Congrats!

I have a 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport. I find the suspension is actually more comfortable on the highway, at speed, than it is around town. I've taken a couple of long-ish drives in this (about 250 miles each way) and found the suspension itself to work quite well for highway driving. Around town it can be a bit firm if the roads aren't perfect, but it's still very much daily drivable.

For me, the best thing I can recommend to save fuel is to accelerate gently and keep the revs low at all times. I am not the biggest fan of Eco mode, due to how laggy the throttle feels while using it. However, I find my MPGs climbing when I am more gentle on the accelerator. On the highway, fuel mileage seems to fall off a cliff if you exceed about 75 MPH, so I try to stay around 70. On my most recent highway trip I managed to get between 25 and 26 MPG by doing this, even though I went up to 80 MPH a few times. (Yours will probably be better since it has the smaller 2.5-liter engine.)

From what I can tell, brakes and rotors on the F Sport models have shorter lives than most other cars on the road. I still have my stock rotors and pads and have put 22k miles on them. I'm planning to take a look at them this weekend and see where they are at. I did have to have the rotors resurfaced at about 14k due to really loud squealing basically all the time during winter.

I have no idea about the fine scratches, but yeah I have some of those too on my gauge cluster. Need to ask about that.
Thanks so much for the reply! I did notice that the suspension seems better on the highway - I just hope the rough roads around here don't require me to spend thousands in the next couple of years. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-31-18, 11:46 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi all,

X
I have a 16 200t F-Sport - my thoughts:

1. I think our suspensions are different enough I won't be able to comment.

2. ECO mode only modulates the throttle response - has nothing to do with the efficiency of the engine. The throttle is less sensitive for the first 1/2 (or so) of the pedal travel and more responsive after that. The theory is that allows you to maintain consistent speeds on the highway easier (by being able to make fine tune adjustments with your right foot) which in theory translates into better economy. I've found it to be fairly meaningless and I don't like how soft the throttle is around town. I owned one of the first hybrids back in the day and did a lot of research (and practice) on driving efficiently. Ignore the mode - focus on things you do already: Accelerate modestly, cruise at constant speeds, extend your slow-downs leading up to lights and stop signs (as traffic and safety allow), don't drive at excessive speeds, keep your car in tune and tires properly inflated. This, more than anything, will impact your MPG.

3. I have an F-Sport so those brakes are different I think - but changing the pads yourself is very doable. Check out YouTube and you'll find plenty of videos. As a CPO, pads should have been checked and replaced if needed. I'd ask the dealer you got it from what the story is on that. If they were just replaced, most pads go 30-50k or so depending on how hard you are on them. But it varies greatly depending on the type of pad you use. If you don't have a lip on the rotor (surface is smooth) I'd say you're good for a while. But those should have been checked too. Your dealer should be able to give you some projections on how much you can expect out of them.

5. The vented seats are what they are unfortunately. I wish they were better too, but they are better than not having them. I found the seat is far more effective than the seat back.

I'm not sure about the scratches.

And congratulations!!!!
Old 08-31-18, 07:23 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

5. Any tips on making the ventilated seats more effective?
Yeah, wear (for example) higher quality breathable linen shirts, for some reason people thing that somehow ventilation is going to blow through your densely woven clothing.