IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RR Racing Ultimate Steering Response System (USRS) limited time $20 discount

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 03:48 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,400 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
A bit of a ramble here, but as a potential buyer of an upgraded LCA, I'm a bit surprised at this statement. I've recently read at least 10 threads on these and Figs on this forum and more discussion on the FB groups. The NVH has been brought up multiple times with some people even going back to stock, while most express the point that it's as different as a few extra PSI in the tires or a slight vibration in the wheel, while still being very satisfied with the handling results and tire life improvement. Granted, the numbers of negative reviews are absolutely smaller than the amount of people who are happy with them, this is still a factor that seems to be one of the deciding reasons to go with one or the other. For my case, an 08-10 ISF which already rides fairly rough stock, it can be worrying to choose something that may make it even worse.

The USRS looks very well built, from a reputable US company, with very good results, no doubt at all in my mind there. I'm just surprised that on multiple threads, when the NVH is brought up it is once again a shock to you guys. Just call it like it is, it's a well designed product but aimed at tightening everything down, and as such some NVH may pop up and that the amount of it highly depends on the way the car is used and already modded.

Again, apologies for the ramble. I as well as the community appreciate all the work you guys do and the discount you offered here. Heck I even recall a thread of you guys offering to install them for free, no one would do that. No doubt a great team working there. Cheers
thank you! I think the reason we have had no feedback regarding NVH issues is that we generally cater to the more performance oriented Lexus owner, folks who like to push hard and even might do some track or autocross. I always wonder why Lexus made such compliant LCA bushings, and I guess they know who they are catoring to. But this is also the reason why when Lexus sedans are compared to German counterparts they fall short in terms of chassis feel. All depends what you expect from a sports sedan.

I also have a 991 Carrera S, which is at the moment bone stock. Even stock, It has more much more NVH, noises, and harshness than an RCF running on our Penske track setup coilovers (18/16 springs).... but when you read the magazine reviews on the 911, they are gushing over the “feel” and communicative chassis.... to each his own! If an RCF rode like that some Lexus owners would be asking to return their cars

Rafi
The following users liked this post:
osiriskidd (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 09:28 AM
ZISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chinox22x
I ended up buying figs upgraded lcas
Where did you purchase your LCAS
Old 09-26-18, 10:53 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,400 Likes on 642 Posts

Just had a complaint from an IS350 customer saying he gets vibrations after USRS install. After a week of going back and forth, he said that he was running low tire pressure, and when you properly inflated the vibration went away.

The bottom line is that just because you may feel vibration upon installing the USRS, this does not mean that the ROOT CAUSE of the vibration is the USRS. We state this in our instructions, and the bottom line is that if you have any condition on your car that causes a vibration, it will be transferred to the chassis. With the stock super-soft bushings many vibrations simply get dampened, but it doesn't mean they are not there, and just because you go back to other bushings and no longer feel a vibration, the underlying problem still exists.

I've given the example before of the customer whose subframe was not torqued properly and felt a vibration... but there are many other reasons for vibrations, such as tire imbalance, tire damage, wheel damage, as well as other reasons that can cause minor vibrations that OEM bushings will isolate, but are there nevertheless. We see more Lexus IS/GS/RC etc in our shop than any other performance shop in the USA, and we point out these issues to customers all the time.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 09-28-18, 10:30 PM
2Marvelous
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what Rafi has been trying to say is that the USRS helped to expose issues causing vibrations transfer into the chassis which would have been otherwise masked by the soft rubber stock bushings. Those issues might have grown over time being hidden by the stock bushings. The NVH is an indication that something isn't totally copacetic somewhere else and the USRS helped expose it for you to fix it. Dare I say, the NVH can be seen as an indicator feature not a fault. Rafi seems genuinely happy to help his customers and knowledgeable enough to find where the NVH issue is. The USRS resolves handling as it was designed to do and you get the benefits of reduced inner tire wear and NVH indicators for you to check on other mechanical things in the car.
The following users liked this post:
RRRacing (10-01-18)