IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Irregular front tire wear?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 03:20 PM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Irregular front tire wear?!

Hi! I have a 2015 IS350. 9k miles and drive it like a baby. Just had it in for inspection and they state i need new front tires as the inside has worn out yet the rest of the tire is maybe half worn. Rears are fine. The service writer stated that it’s because the car needs aligned. But then another one said this is a common problem and Lexus won’t admit to it. And stated that the salesmen won’t say it of course. The couples are even worse. I am fine throwing a new set on and getting it aligned but scared this will keep happening. Any thoughts?

he mentioned that it’s a problem and the best solution is to get an alignment every 6 months.. that is not a solution as well as an expensive one. I bought a Lexus to have worry free driving and starting to feel like I was wrong. Anyone experience this and any solutions?

We live in pothole capital Pennsylvania so that could explain some of it but I don’t need this car turning into a maintenance headache. I can buy a Chevy to do that.

Last edited by Heagy80; 09-01-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 03:33 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

just do a front end alignment. i had that issue on my 09 IS350. Did an alignment once and problem solved. Once you do the alignment, i wouldn't worry about replacing the tires. just drive carefully in pothole capital and you'll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Fourpt5 (09-01-18)
Old 09-01-18, 03:40 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Heagy80
Hi! I have a 2015 IS350. 9k miles and drive it like a baby. Just had it in for inspection and they state i need new front tires as the inside has worn out yet the rest of the tire is maybe half worn. Rears are fine. The service writer stated that it’s because the car needs aligned. But then another one said this is a common problem and Lexus won’t admit to it. And stated that the salesmen won’t say it of course. The couples are even worse. I am fine throwing a new set on and getting it aligned but scared this will keep happening. Any thoughts?

he mentioned that it’s a problem and the best solution is to get an alignment every 6 months.. that is not a solution as well as an expensive one. I bought a Lexus to have worry free driving and starting to feel like I was wrong. Anyone experience this and any solutions?

We live in pothole capital Pennsylvania so that could explain some of it but I don’t need this car turning into a maintenance headache. I can buy a Chevy to do that.
The front inner tire wear is actually something we all 3IS owners on the forums are aware of and most of us don’t really care lol. So far it seems changing the lower control arm bushings is the only way to deal with the inner wear. The stock bushings are too soft which causes the toe to change under acceleration and cornering. Also Firestone sells a lifetime alignment where you pay like $180 and you can get alignments whenever for life on that vehicle, but I’m pretty sure alignments won’t do the trick in this case.

Last edited by Flash5; 09-01-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 03:42 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

I forgot to mention we are all trying to do a group buy for the RR Racing lower arm bushings which solves this issue if you’re interested.
Old 09-01-18, 03:46 PM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike_1GO
just do a front end alignment. i had that issue on my 09 IS350. Did an alignment once and problem solved. Once you do the alignment, i wouldn't worry about replacing the tires. just drive carefully in pothole capital and you'll be fine.
problem is the dealer won’t inspect it unless we do new tires. They aren’t bad. The great state of PA is a stickler around inspections. I could take it to a buddy of mine who may just inspect it and I can do the alignment. It’s a sin to pitch these tires. The inspection was free at the dealer hence going there
Old 09-01-18, 04:08 PM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5

The front inner tire wear is actually something we all 3IS owners on the forums are aware of and most of us don’t really care lol. So far it seems changing the lower control arm bushings is the only way to deal with the inner wear. The stock bushings are too soft which causes the toe to change under acceleration and cornering. Also Firestone sells a lifetime alignment where you pay like $180 and you can get alignments whenever for life on that vehicle, but I’m pretty sure alignments won’t do the trick in this case.
looks like this is one car Firestone won’t do an alignment on! Wtf?
Old 09-01-18, 04:14 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

looks like this is one car Firestone won’t do an alignment on! Wtf?
Whatttttt!? I’ve never heard of that wth lol.
Old 09-02-18, 07:05 AM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

I have been reading that Lexus’s specs for alignment keeps some camber in the wheel which is causing the inner wear. I personally don’t care about a bit more tire performance as my wife is usually the one driving the IS as a commuter. Would a good shop be able to correct this or is it really about the bushings and just how the car is set up?
Old 09-02-18, 07:41 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I have been reading that Lexus’s specs for alignment keeps some camber in the wheel which is causing the inner wear. I personally don’t care about a bit more tire performance as my wife is usually the one driving the IS as a commuter. Would a good shop be able to correct this or is it really about the bushings and just how the car is set up?
As far as I know it’s the bushings that cause the inner tire wear because of the dynamic change in toe while braking and cornering. A little bit of camber won’t destroy tires the way this car does.
Old 09-02-18, 08:23 AM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

As far as I know it’s the bushings that cause the inner tire wear because of the dynamic change in toe while braking and cornering. A little bit of camber won’t destroy tires the way this car does.
and after years of this Lexus won’t address it? My car is driven easy basically as a grocery getter. I guess I will go battle with the dealer and keep tabs on the tires once inspected. Once it is out of warranty in 2 years I may look at different bushings and everyone said, unless a realignment helps. I do remember hitting some serious holes that made my soul shake. But replacing tires every 9k miles makes it useless to own this car.
Old 09-02-18, 08:26 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

and after years of this Lexus won’t address it? My car is driven easy basically as a grocery getter. I guess I will go battle with the dealer and keep tabs on the tires once inspected. Once it is out of warranty in 2 years I may look at different bushings and everyone said, unless a realignment helps. I do remember hitting some serious holes that made my soul shake. But replacing tires every 9k miles makes it useless to own this car.
Good luck with fighting the dealer on that. They haven’t “fixed” it because they say that this how the car was designed basically they haven’t admitted it’s a flaw.
Old 09-02-18, 10:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,765 Likes on 1,910 Posts

I would say yes, get the alignment, but as for the tires, absolutely replace at least the front tires. Once you get down below 3/32" or so, you are getting into the secondary rubber, which can fade away pretty quick. And even the alignment isn't going to totally remedy the issue. I got an alignment on mine for the same thing, and the insides still ended up in the secondary rubber in 5k miles after that.
Old 09-02-18, 10:25 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I would say yes, get the alignment, but as for the tires, absolutely replace at least the front tires. Once you get down below 3/32" or so, you are getting into the secondary rubber, which can fade away pretty quick. And even the alignment isn't going to totally remedy the issue. I got an alignment on mine for the same thing, and the insides still ended up in the secondary rubber in 5k miles after that.
Like I said, the alignment won’t do it when you have stock bushings.
Old 09-02-18, 10:36 AM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Like I said, the alignment won’t do it when you have stock bushings.
can you recommend the exact bushings to get for the 15 IS350? And you are pretty certain these will correct the issue?

I assume this will void any warranties and the dealer won’t install? I am decent with cars but never done these nor have a lift. Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-18, 10:42 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

can you recommend the exact bushings to get for the 15 IS350? And you are pretty certain these will correct the issue?

I assume this will void any warranties and the dealer won’t install? I am decent with cars but never done these nor have a lift. Any suggestions?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...stem-usrs.html