IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Auto headlights linked to navi dimming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 06:43 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Auto headlights linked to navi dimming?

I've noticed that the automatic headlights are not linked to the day/night transition of the navi maps. Is there a way to sync them so when the lights come on the navigation goes into night mode as well?

I find it annoying that around dusk when my lights go to auto "on" but I guess it's not dark enough out for the navigation screen to go to night mode. As I'm driving and if I'm in traffic going under an overpass, the map screen will go to night mode and then the second I've passed through it will go to day mode again. Annoying that it's always going on/off (especially on my drive home since there is an overpass every few miles)!

It would be nice if there was a delay on the auto dark/light for the navigation screen, so it wouldn't be turning on and off for such quick passes through a darker space.

Last edited by Burrcold; 09-03-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 07:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I've noticed that the automatic headlights are not linked to the day/night transition of the navi maps. Is there a way to sync them so when the lights come on the navigation goes into night mode as well?

I find it annoying that around dusk when my lights go to auto "on" but I guess it's not dark enough out for the navigation screen to go to night mode. As I'm driving and if I'm in traffic going under an overpass, the map screen will go to night mode and then the second I've passed through it will go to day mode again. Annoying that it's always going on/off (especially on my drive home since there is an overpass every few miles)!

It would be nice if there was a delay on the auto dark/light for the navigation screen, so it wouldn't be turning on and off for such quick passes through a darker space.
You can always just set the nav mode to be "day" or "night" all the time. Otherwise, I don't think there's a way.
Old 09-03-18, 07:51 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
You can always just set the nav mode to be "day" or "night" all the time. Otherwise, I don't think there's a way.
I like the change from day to night, I just don't want it switching back and forth.
Old 09-03-18, 08:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Have you tried reducing the auto headlight sensitivity? Maybe if you just make the lights themselves change less frequently, that will help.
Old 09-03-18, 08:21 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
Have you tried reducing the auto headlight sensitivity? Maybe if you just make the lights themselves change less frequently, that will help.
I tried that, but you basically have to put the auto headlights to the least sensitive setting (I.e. pretty dark out before they come on) for the sync of the headlights and the interior navigation screen lights to get close to "on" at the same time.

Again, I don't mind so much that the screen is in "day" mode while my headlights are on, since it's still fairly light out. I just wish the screen didn't cut from day to night to day again so quickly (it's not like the headlights are that sensitive...they have a delay so they don't come on and turn off every time you go under a bridge or something similar).
Old 09-03-18, 08:29 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold

Headlights in auto mode setting has sensor which detects light density. This sensitivity is adjustable from car system setting. Navi lighting is night mode lighting, also you can adjust color and/or brightness.
All ought be in the owner's manual.
Old 09-03-18, 08:39 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by Htony
Headlights in auto mode setting has sensor which detects light density. This sensitivity is adjustable from car system setting. Navi lighting is night mode lighting, also you can adjust color and/or brightness.
All ought be in the owner's manual.
I know all of that. Doesn't help with the question though.
Old 09-04-18, 04:00 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

So it looks like this is only something the dealer can change. It's a combination of adjusting the "Instrument Dimming Sensitivity" from Normal to Dark (or keep at Normal), and then the "Instrument Restore Sensitivity" from Normal to Dark. Hopefully this will help.