IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear end creaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 10:53 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Rear end creaking

Creaking from the rear end, driver side. I can not believe I'm the only one to ever experience this issue. I've lowered the car on RSR Sport-I and have put about 15k miles on the suspension maybe 20k.

A couple thousand miles ago I would start to hear a very faint and low creak from the drivers rear side when backing into a parking spot or slowly rolling through a lot.

Over the next couple months/weeks it got worse. Now it's occurring all the time. I can only hear it when moving slowly and it happens when make the car shift it's weight in any direction.

My mechanic has taken a very good look at the entire suspension and can not pin point where the noise is coming from, he's resorted to lubing up critical areas but still hasn't found the noise.

Beginning to think it's not in the suspension maybe it's as simple as a lose chasis bolt.

Just asking any one to share their experience if they have noticed or solved anything like this. It's driving me insane.

Car has been at the shop for weeks as the mechanic finds time to troubleshoot but he's come up empty. I'll have it back soon and I'll take some videos / sound clips.

Old 09-07-18, 11:05 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Creaking from the rear end, driver side. I can not believe I'm the only one to ever experience this issue. I've lowered the car on RSR Sport-I and have put about 15k miles on the suspension maybe 20k.

A couple thousand miles ago I would start to hear a very faint and low creak from the drivers rear side when backing into a parking spot or slowly rolling through a lot.

Over the next couple months/weeks it got worse. Now it's occurring all the time. I can only hear it when moving slowly and it happens when make the car shift it's weight in any direction.

My mechanic has taken a very good look at the entire suspension and can not pin point where the noise is coming from, he's resorted to lubing up critical areas but still hasn't found the noise.

Beginning to think it's not in the suspension maybe it's as simple as a lose chasis bolt.

Just asking any one to share their experience if they have noticed or solved anything like this. It's driving me insane.

Car has been at the shop for weeks as the mechanic finds time to troubleshoot but he's come up empty. I'll have it back soon and I'll take some videos / sound clips.
I’m lowered on the same set up but not slammed and I have that noise too. I took off the RSR coilover and put back the stock springs and the noise is still there. It’s driving me crazy. I can duplicate the sound a lot when I sway the car side to side quickly. Ever since I drove on it full stiff I think it might of caused something to come loose or worst crack something. It drives perfectly normal but it’s the noise that won’t stop. I stripped the trunk interior and empty out the cargo, road test and noise is still there. I checked all the bolts related to the suspension and everything is snugged. I don’t think it’s telated to the suspension the think it’s under panels coming loose, clips inside the rear cabin coming loose or something is out of alignment with trim. My noise started two weeks ago and I’m still trying to diagnose the cause. My wife doesn’t hear it, I do and she thinks I’m crazy that I’m obsessed with this noise. I think it’s the rear doors, I played with the strikers and the nose is still there. I won’t go full surgery in the car but it’s bugging me. My last option is to take it in to the dealer, maybe they can use chassis ears
Old 01-15-21, 01:42 PM
Aironet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone ever found fox for this???? please answer on here or PM me

i have this noise when I drive on the flat road and than make a turn onto my
driveway (slightly up the hill) i hear 2 -3 pops on the rear left. I have emptied
everything out of the trunk /rode in the trunk while my friend was going up and down the driveway
and the noise seems to be coming from driver side rear. (not the sunroof area like some suggested)

any help???
Old 01-15-21, 06:36 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Aironet
anyone ever found fox for this???? please answer on here or PM me

i have this noise when I drive on the flat road and than make a turn onto my
driveway (slightly up the hill) i hear 2 -3 pops on the rear left. I have emptied
everything out of the trunk /rode in the trunk while my friend was going up and down the driveway
and the noise seems to be coming from driver side rear. (not the sunroof area like some suggested)

any help???
Maybe this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...96092-5448.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Vovchik (04-26-21)
Old 01-17-21, 08:03 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
Interesting that when I went to Hendrick Lexus Kansas City (Frontage road) in 2018, and told them about the rattle noise, they sort of said something to the effect of - it is very complicated to fix, so maybe next time or something. And now, this doc shows that it was covered under basic warranty, which run out in aug 2020.