IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 08:17 AM
EugeneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
If you want to check the Android version - check the API level. It's harder to cheat and edit. Now I have to return the unit to China. I bought Android 9.0 - real Android 6.0! So not every unit = Android 7 Completely different than the description advertisement (no 1920x720, split screen..)
I also think there is no Android 9 version on the market.
As for android 9 - it is 100000% info. Even 4x4 unit is very good masked Android 7....But to be fair, Android 9 doesn't have significant improvements comparing with Android 7, especially if we are talking about car radio where regular person uses just couple of apps and features.....I don't understand why android 9 is an obsession for so many people here It is just car radio...online navigation, YouTube, Pandora and may be couple more apps is all needed there....
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 08:17 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
If you want to check the Android version - check the API level. It's harder to cheat and edit. Now I have to return the unit to China. I bought Android 9.0 (MTK, 4/64)- real Android 6.0! So not every unit = Android 7 Completely different than the description advertisement (no 1920x720, split screen..)
I also think there is no Android 9 version on the market.
oh boy, that's not good. Do you mind posting where/seller you got it from?
Old 05-05-20, 09:31 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by EugeneIS
Hey guys. Regarding android version etc....It doesn't matter where you order this unit from and it doesn't matter what android version will be written in system info and CPU-Z. Actual android version is Android 7.1!! Such units with real android 9 do not exist....There are only 2 types of this radio and both of them come with real android 7.1 with the only difference - masking level...First type (sold by 4x4shop) has much better masked Android 7, so that you will even see Android 9 through apps like CPU-Z.....Android version of another type of this unit is not so deeply masked - you will see Android 9 in system info, but you will see android 7 through CPU-Z...

Of course you can continue to beleive that you have real android 9, because CPU-Z app can't be cheated and so on. IT can be easily! And this is what was actually done. And I am 100% sure in what I am saying. If you don't believe - just ask any android software engineer to check real android version of your radio (showing android 9 in CPU-z) and you will be very surprized

So as for Android version both types of this unit are absolutely same.

As for resolution - in my oppinion this is the last thing you should care about, because you will not see any differences on screen of such size between 1920*720 and 1280*480 resolutions....it is more about marketing.

Big difference between 2 types of this unit is CPU they use: first type (selling by 4x4shop) uses MediaTek CPU, second type (like one selling on Amazon and like one is shown in previous post of gamma113) uses Samsung CPU....Both CPU's have +/- same parameters, but which CPU manufacturer you trust more in terms of stability etc - should be you sole decition.

Hope this post will help you
To me the biggest issue is the advertising for it. You feel lied to, scammed, that's the issue. There wouldn't be as much outrage if the sellers would be real and upfront about it. When I bought mine, I knew what to expect and I was okay with it because I really was purchasing for the screen size, GPS, CarPlay, Phone Mirroring and what not. I don't even care about the apps but if a good one comes up, sure I'll try it out. So for me the Android OS doesn't really matter as long as it's operating as it should and with a decent performance. In terms of the 720 vs 480, I really wouldn't have noticed either but if it's going to be advertised as 720, then I want 720. If only 480 was available then I'd be okay with that too.

I'm angling with the seller for a partial refund for a product that doesn't match the description. If they say no, I'll see what my credit card company can do for me. I'll let the seller know I'll file a charge back if some sort of restitution isn't provided.
davyjordi (05-06-20)
Old 05-05-20, 10:10 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by EugeneIS
As for android 9 - it is 100000% info. Even 4x4 unit is very good masked Android 7....But to be fair, Android 9 doesn't have significant improvements comparing with Android 7, especially if we are talking about car radio where regular person uses just couple of apps and features.....I don't understand why android 9 is an obsession for so many people here It is just car radio...online navigation, YouTube, Pandora and may be couple more apps is all needed there....
I agree lol. I guess some just want the absolute latest software for whatever reason. I’m chilling on Android 7.1 and most likely will forever until the unit dies.
Old 05-05-20, 02:56 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
I dunno but I also accept payments in the form of food lol
LOL for a job like this I would compensate you at least $200
Old 05-05-20, 03:00 PM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LFields
My unit shows android 9.0 on the cpu app. This unit is well worth the money and looks very oem in my car. If you don't want to use the android features you can use all the standard functions but on a huge screen and apple carplay and android auto included.

I am using mine with the Headunit Reloaded app so I dont even have my phone connected using a USB. Its connected with WiFi and works great. Added benefit is that I can use the kn0b controller with android auto and also can use it with most apps so it feels like oem.
Would you be willing to make a video on it? I download it but I have no clue how to activate it.
Old 05-05-20, 03:02 PM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone t tried to make the font bigger?
Old 05-05-20, 03:15 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma113
installed my unit today. Very pleased with big screen. I want to get wireless Android auto work on this unit. But there is only Dongle that support wireless Apple Carplay but not wireless Android Auto. Has anyone get their Wireless Android Auto working?
Try this app for Android Auto without dongle

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348

Old 05-05-20, 04:01 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
LOL for a job like this I would compensate you at least $200
that can get me a really tiny wagyu steak. Lol

but really I’d expect you to help with a DIY since I’m not a shop. I’d definitely tape off areas to prevent accidental scratching.
Old 05-05-20, 07:40 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

that can get me a really tiny wagyu steak. Lol

but really I’d expect you to help with a DIY since I’m not a shop. I’d definitely tape off areas to prevent accidental scratching.
Of course i would. I'm just not the most handy person out there LOL. And since you've installed it on your car, you would know how to do it too unlike a shop where they probably have never touched this thing in their life. I'm pretty serious on my offer too. When this damn virus is over if you really are down to help, I'll pay to have you help me install.
tnilc (05-06-20)
Old 05-05-20, 07:58 PM
LFields
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jatnieln
Would you be willing to make a video on it? I download it but I have no clue how to activate it.
There is a video of how to use it on Google play store.
Old 05-05-20, 08:00 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Update: Navihua offered me a fair solution to the 1280x480 instead of 1920x720 and Android 7 over 9 advertising. I am satisfied and appreciate the customer support I received.
Old 05-05-20, 08:35 PM
LFields
Rookie

Update: Navihua offered me a fair solution to the 1280x480 instead of 1920x720 and Android 7 over 9 advertising. I am satisfied and appreciate the customer support I received.
What do you mean by fair solution? Did they refund you or replace the unit?
Old 05-05-20, 08:40 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by LFields
What do you mean by fair solution? Did they refund you or replace the unit?
I'm not getting into details. My unit was advertised as Android 9, 1920x720 and unfortunately it wasn't but I was kind of expecting it based on what others experienced.

I brought it to the attention of the seller and a fair resolution came about so I'm satisfied.
Old 05-06-20, 01:54 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm not getting into details. My unit was advertised as Android 9, 1920x720 and unfortunately it wasn't but I was kind of expecting it based on what others experienced.

I brought it to the attention of the seller and a fair resolution came about so I'm satisfied.
in other words, he received partial compensation for the misleading advert product description.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca