IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 03:27 AM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
I'm not getting into details. My unit was advertised as Android 9, 1920x720 and unfortunately it wasn't but I was kind of expecting it based on what others experienced.

I brought it to the attention of the seller and a fair resolution came about so I'm satisfied.
They must of sent you the old version hoping you wouldn't notice because I purchased from them and mine is definitely 1920x720. Does yours have the split screen feature? (instructions afew pages up on how to check). And is it 4gb ram?

I too was going to purchase the older model and even paid for it but cancelled as soon as I realised. It was 4gb ram but only 480p resolution and didn't have a sim card slot.

Some members say you won't notice a difference but I notice a huge difference coming from a 480p resolution screen in my Mercedes C class which I also installed a kit so I can run apps on it. For everyday usage there isn't much difference but if you watch youtube or a video clip the difference is night and day.

Last edited by LFields; 05-06-20 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 07:15 AM
EugeneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LFields
Some members say you won't notice a difference but I notice a huge difference coming from a 480p resolution screen in my Mercedes C class which I also installed a kit so I can run apps on it. For everyday usage there isn't much difference but if you watch youtube or a video clip the difference is night and day.
Being familiar with this deeply enough, would just say that display resolution is about display desity (pixels per inch) only.
10.25 inch screen with 1920*720 resolution has 200 pixels per inch (PPI)
10.25 inch screen with 1280*480 resolution has 133 pixels per inch (PPI)

But the funny thing is that it is scientifically proven many years ago, that person with absolutely ideal eyesight can see a maximum of 300 ppi from a distance of about 10 inches away from your eyes. The more is distance - less individual pixels you can see.

Do you like Apple Retina display? It is perfect, righ? But do you know that iPad pro 12.9 inch display at viewing distance of 13 inches and 10.25 Lexus display at a viewing distance of 26 inches will be absolutely identical for human eyes? And this is not just blah blah - this is scientific researcheas and even Apple confirms this.
There are dozens of calculators in internet....For example this calculator will allow you to calcualte at what viewing distance display of particular size and resolution will become "retina display": https://www.designcompaniesranked.co...s-this-retina/

What is the lexus 10.25 display vieweng distance? It is more or less distance which makes it look like famous apple retina display

Unfortunately nobody knows anything about this, everybody wants latest of the latest, biggest of the bigges stuff without any elementary understanding on what its for and how it works.....Such type of people are typical "marketing victim" and only for such type of people smarphone manufacturers offer phones with incredible resolutions and 600, 700 etc PPI while at a typical smartphone vieweng distance (about 10 inches) person with eagle eyesight may see only 300 PPI

So, 720 and 480 lexus radios from their actual viewing distance are absolutely same. 720 screen would only be slightly better at a viewing distance of 10 inches, but I cant imagine how you will use it in the car at such distance.

BUT!!! The pixel density is only one of many parameters contributing to the image quality. Other equally important parameters can make a monitor look sharp or soft even with the same pixel density: type of display, surface treatment of the display itself, addition of anti-reflective optical glass or bonded-glass , pixels arrangements and pitch, processing technology and speed, backlight technology etc...

And your Mercedes unit looks worse due to this parameters and not due to resolution. If you take one of these lexus units with 480 resolution and comapre to your Mercedes unit with same 480 resolution - it will be day and night too....

Just compare 2 particual units for Lexus IS - with 720 and 480 resolutions and you will see no differece at all beause in paticulary this case 720 or 480 resolution plays no role at all and other parameters contributing to the image quality are more or less the same.

Last edited by EugeneIS; 05-06-20 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 10:30 AM
LFields
Rookie

Originally Posted by EugeneIS
Being familiar with this deeply enough, would just say that display resolution is about display desity (pixels per inch) only.

But the funny thing is that it is scientifically proven many years ago, that person with absolutely ideal eyesight can see a maximum of 300 ppi from a distance of about 10 inches away from your eyes. The more is distance - less individual pixels you can see.

Do you like Apple Retina display? It is perfect, righ? But do you know that iPad pro 12.9 inch display at viewing distance of 13 inches and 10.25 Lexus display at a viewing distance of 26 inches will be absolutely identical for human eyes? And this is not just blah blah - this is scientific researcheas and even Apple confirms this.
There are dozens of calculators in internet....For example this calculator will allow you to calcualte at what viewing distance display of particular size and resolution will become "retina display": https://www.designcompaniesranked.co...s-this-retina/

What is the lexus 10.25 display vieweng distance? It is more or less distance which makes it look like famous apple retina display

Unfortunately nobody knows anything about this, everybody wants latest of the latest, biggest of the bigges stuff without any elementary understanding on what its for and how it works.....Such type of people are typical "marketing victim" and only for such type of people smarphone manufacturers offer phones with incredible resolutions and 600, 700 etc PPI while at a typical smartphone vieweng distance (about 10 inches) person with eagle eyesight may see only 300 PPI

So, 720 and 480 lexus radios from their actual viewing distance are absolutely same. 720 screen would only be slightly better at a viewing distance of 10 inches, but I cant imagine how you will use it in the car at such distance.

BUT!!! The pixel density is only one of many parameters contributing to the image quality. Other equally important parameters can make a monitor look sharp or soft even with the same pixel density: type of display, surface treatment of the display itself, addition of anti-reflective optical glass or bonded-glass , pixels arrangements and pitch, processing technology and speed, backlight technology etc...

And your Mercedes unit looks worse due to this parameters and not due to resolution. If you take one of these lexus units with 480 resolution and comapre to your Mercedes unit with same 480 resolution - it will be day and night too....

Just compare 2 particual units for Lexus IS - with 720 and 480 resolutions and you will see no differece at all beause in paticulary this case 720 or 480 resolution plays no role at all and other parameters contributing to the image quality are more or less the same.
you are probably right but there is a noticeable difference in my headunits, if the 480 lexus display uses same screens I guess it will be OK but I don't have one to compare. I noticed afew months ago on this thread there was afew people who had the older unit which was 480 resolution and when they upgraded to the knew screen they confirmed the sharpness and clearness of the new unit was one of the best things about it so if the newer 480 screens have the same tech as the older ones then it will be noticable if compared to the 720p.

On a side note the wife has got the iPhone 11 Pro and I have the Samsung Galaxy S20 and although Samsung make Apple screens there is still a difference in screen quality which again is noticeable and the ppi on the Samsung is alot higher so I don't know if there is more to it but I can definitely see a difference between screen quality.

Last edited by LFields; 05-06-20 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 10:38 AM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone with the new 4x4 screen know how to get back to the android side, without touching the screen?

Oh, and I was totally wrong... If you are on the Lexus side and turn off the car, when you turn it back on the Lexus side comes up automatically
Old 05-06-20, 10:45 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Soljarag
Does anyone with the new 4x4 screen know how to get back to the android side, without touching the screen?

Oh, and I was totally wrong... If you are on the Lexus side and turn off the car, when you turn it back on the Lexus side comes up automatically
You just have to hit the back or return button on your center console panel.

EDIT: just noticed you said back to Android haha. You hold the menu button and it should get you back to the android side.

Last edited by Flash5; 05-06-20 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Soljarag (05-07-20)
Old 05-06-20, 11:00 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Soljarag

There should be an OEM/Lexus icon on the Android side
Old 05-06-20, 02:21 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

They must of sent you the old version hoping you wouldn't notice because I purchased from them and mine is definitely 1920x720. Does yours have the split screen feature? (instructions afew pages up on how to check). And is it 4gb ram?

I too was going to purchase the older model and even paid for it but cancelled as soon as I realised. It was 4gb ram but only 480p resolution and didn't have a sim card slot.

Do you have an IS? They said for my model, 480 was highest they have for an RC. They did have 720 for RCF and IS.

I do have split screen as well.
Old 05-06-20, 03:14 PM
LFields
Rookie

Do you have an IS? They said for my model, 480 was highest they have for an RC. They did have 720 for RCF and IS.

I do have split screen as well.
yes mine is a IS. That's good atleast you got same features which the older unit don't have
Old 05-06-20, 04:59 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EugeneIS

Just compare 2 particular units for Lexus IS - with 720 and 480 resolutions and you will see no differece at all beause in paticulary this case 720 or 480 resolution plays no role at all and other parameters contributing to the image quality are more or less the same.

Yeah...But on paper and actually looking at the screens are two different things... According to 'science' a person can't see more than 30FPS..but go look at something in motion on a high refresh rate screen and compare it to a more standard refresh rate display...There is a pretty big difference there.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 06:54 PM
LFields
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
Yeah...But on paper and actually looking at the screens are two different things... According to 'science' a person can't see more than 30FPS..but go look at something in motion on a high refresh rate screen and compare it to a more standard refresh rate display...There is a pretty big difference there.
Exactly. I can tell 100% and I'm sure alot of others can too, its not hard to see the difference between a hd screen and one that is not.

Last edited by LFields; 05-06-20 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 07:33 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Exactly. I can tell 100% and I'm sure alot of others can too, its not hard to see the difference between a hd screen and one that is not.
I wouldn't be able to tell unless I was probably staring at it for a good amount of time to study.

But since I'm driving, it's just a few glances so it looks good to me. And when it comes down to it, it's a hell of an improvement over stock.
Old 05-06-20, 07:36 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
Of course i would. I'm just not the most handy person out there LOL. And since you've installed it on your car, you would know how to do it too unlike a shop where they probably have never touched this thing in their life. I'm pretty serious on my offer too. When this damn virus is over if you really are down to help, I'll pay to have you help me install.
Let me know man.

Do you have an iPhone? I highly recommend the wireless Apple CarPlay dongle.
Old 05-06-20, 07:51 PM
LFields
Rookie

I wouldn't be able to tell unless I was probably staring at it for a good amount of time to study.

But since I'm driving, it's just a few glances so it looks good to me. And when it comes down to it, it's a hell of an improvement over stock.
Tbh I think the only way you would be able to tell is if you had them side by side which will probably never happen so it is all good, and as you mention it is way better than stock. Only way I can tell is because I used to watch youtube in my merc and now I tried it on the lexus screen and have the HD option which is alot clearer when comparing. Time passes alot quicker when waiting for the wife to come out lol
Old 05-06-20, 08:15 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Tbh I think the only way you would be able to tell is if you had them side by side which will probably never happen so it is all good, and as you mention it is way better than stock. Only way I can tell is because I used to watch youtube in my merc and now I tried it on the lexus screen and have the HD option which is alot clearer when comparing. Time passes alot quicker when waiting for the wife to come out lol
do you have pictures from YouTube?

i haven’t touched my car since Sunday so I haven’t had a chance to go through YouTube or videos yet.
Old 05-06-20, 08:47 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Let me know man.

Do you have an iPhone? I highly recommend the wireless Apple CarPlay dongle.
yes I do. I will note that.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca