IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 11:11 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
Just get the beat sonic android interface if you already have the 10.25" screen. Why would you want to replace your nice OEM 10.25" screen with a knockoff that has glair issues?
Lol do you have one of these "knockoffs" installed in your IS? These knockoffs are 150% better than the OEM screens.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash5:
Soljarag (05-09-20), tnilc (05-09-20)
Old 05-09-20, 02:11 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Lol do you have one of these "knockoffs" installed in your IS? These knockoffs are 150% better than the OEM screens.
No, I still have the OEM ~8" screen w/NAV. MY friend with a RC has a older version of these, and your right it. Even with the glair it's better than the OEM one like in mine. it's not like the glair is such a big issue, it's worth missing out on 50% more screen + carplay/android auto. That's why I'm still probably going to be picking one up. But have you seen the OEM 10.25" 2017+ unit in person? That screen is really nice, and the anti glare coating on it is spot on. If someone already had the really nice OEM 10.25" screen, I don't see why you would change that to these aftermarket ones, when the android interface is available separately, while keeping the OEM 10.25" screen....Am I missing something?
Old 05-09-20, 04:35 AM
sebaw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I changed the default launcher and created my own version
FCC Car Launcher
The following 4 users liked this post by sebaw:
dvolcov (09-06-20), Soljarag (05-14-20), tnilc (05-09-20), whoismiked (05-09-20)
Old 05-09-20, 07:02 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
No, I still have the OEM ~8" screen w/NAV. MY friend with a RC has a older version of these, and your right it. Even with the glair it's better than the OEM one like in mine. it's not like the glair is such a big issue, it's worth missing out on 50% more screen + carplay/android auto. That's why I'm still probably going to be picking one up. But have you seen the OEM 10.25" 2017+ unit in person? That screen is really nice, and the anti glare coating on it is spot on. If someone already had the really nice OEM 10.25" screen, I don't see why you would change that to these aftermarket ones, when the android interface is available separately, while keeping the OEM 10.25" screen....Am I missing something?
I have not seen the stock 10” screen, but I’ll take glare over almost no features and crappy navigation personally. It’s massively egregious that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto aren’t stock on today’s Lexus’. It makes me so angry haha. If you can add all the features from these screens to the stock one with a unit that does all of it then sure I see what you’re saying.
Old 05-09-20, 10:42 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw

I changed the default launcher and created my own version
FCC Car Launcher
What's the Map icon on the left? Is it just a basic GPS map?

I like having a map on my screen following my direction
Old 05-09-20, 11:57 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Can anyone clarify for the NaviHua unit, do you need an extra dongle to use WIRED CarPlay? I am going to order the wireless CarPlay dongle but want the option to be wired.

Also, does CarPlay work with the **** controller?
Old 05-09-20, 02:06 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Messing around with my unit today, need to figure out the settings. YouTube doesn't play audio right now.

Also need to move my GPS antenna. I was thinking about buying another aftermarket one but I have no idea what to look for. Is there a better, stronger antenna that can be purchased?
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-09-20)
Old 05-10-20, 09:38 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Got YouTube to work, figured out what the problem was.

I was using Google Maps and the Android speaker was really loud and sounded bad. I lowered the volume to about 1/10th and it sounded great, not too loud and sounded like it was internal to the car. My YouTube audio didn't work because the sound for had been so low. Now pretty much everything on my unit works.

I moved the GPS antenna back up to behind the unit but I think that made my signal even worse compared to behind the glove box in open space. I'm going to keep trying a few areas and look into possibly stronger antennas.
Old 05-10-20, 09:38 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by pngo
Can anyone clarify for the NaviHua unit, do you need an extra dongle to use WIRED CarPlay? I am going to order the wireless CarPlay dongle but want the option to be wired.

Also, does CarPlay work with the **** controller?
The wireless dongle has a USB port you can plug into. I don't have a **** controller, so can't help you there.
pngo (05-10-20)
Old 05-10-20, 11:51 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
Got YouTube to work, figured out what the problem was.

I was using Google Maps and the Android speaker was really loud and sounded bad. I lowered the volume to about 1/10th and it sounded great, not too loud and sounded like it was internal to the car. My YouTube audio didn't work because the sound for had been so low. Now pretty much everything on my unit works.

I moved the GPS antenna back up to behind the unit but I think that made my signal even worse compared to behind the glove box in open space. I'm going to keep trying a few areas and look into possibly stronger antennas.
The antenna should not be obstructed by anything but your windshield. For my Vline I ran it behind the passenger pillar and mounted it on the windshield near the rearview. How long is the cable on the supplied GPS? It appears to be a SMA type antenna. If it's too short, Amazon has tons of options.
Old 05-10-20, 12:04 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcJten
The antenna should not be obstructed by anything but your windshield. For my Vline I ran it behind the passenger pillar and mounted it on the windshield near the rearview. How long is the cable on the supplied GPS? It appears to be a SMA type antenna. If it's too short, Amazon has tons of options.
it’s fairly long and can be routed anywhere on the dash.

I personally don’t want to see it. I’d like it to be hidden. There’s some members that mounted behind the unit and it was fine.

My next two options are mounting to a metal surface or to run it behind the rear view mirror next to my BlackVue so it’s still somewhat hidden.
Old 05-10-20, 02:10 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

it’s fairly long and can be routed anywhere on the dash.

I personally don’t want to see it. I’d like it to be hidden. There’s some members that mounted behind the unit and it was fine.

My next two options are mounting to a metal surface or to run it behind the rear view mirror next to my BlackVue so it’s still somewhat hidden.
​​​​​​With ML I am concerned the center channel would interfere with the signal. I found a good spot on top of the grey box in the photo. Just plastic dash above and under the windshield.

Old 05-10-20, 03:19 PM
tnilc
Instructor

​​​​​​With ML I am concerned the center channel would interfere with the signal. I found a good spot on top of the grey box in the photo. Just plastic dash above and under the windshield.
Nice, I did mine just below on the white plastic on the side. I read some good locations are on metal because it helps strengthen the signal. I'm not sure how true it is but I know a lot of shops will install on the metal frame behind the console.
Old 05-10-20, 03:25 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Here's where I mounted mine, I still got inaccurate signal for car here. I can't tell if where I currently have it is worse than when it was here or the same.

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca-l5bostm.png

How's your signal strength there?
Old 05-10-20, 03:55 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Here's where I mounted mine, I still got inaccurate signal for car here. I can't tell if where I currently have it is worse than when it was here or the same.

How's your signal strength there?
I won't be wrapping up the install until mid-week. I am waiting on some parts from amazon. Going to patch into the harness to use the factory mic, and install a ground loop noise isolator for the audio line. If it all goes to plan I will post a DIY for anyone who wants to give it a try.
Flash5 (05-11-20)

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca