IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 12:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

edit: i thought you were referring to the ambient temperature of your city and i was like, whoa -- 42*C is extremely hot for socal unless you live in the desert and even then... but then i realized that you were referring to the unit's temperature.

on another note, i've been silently following this thread because why not? anyhow, a lot of you guys are having a tremendous amount of difficulty with these units. they definitely are not plug-and-play for many and perhaps the way to go if buying is through 4x4 and purchasing the tech support to walk one through all of these problems that many are having for those that are considering purchasing this unit but are on the fence.

Last edited by davyjordi; 05-25-20 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gladius (05-25-20)
Old 05-25-20, 06:23 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
edit: i thought you were referring to the ambient temperature of your city and i was like, whoa -- 42*C is extremely hot for socal unless you live in the desert and even then... but then i realized that you were referring to the unit's temperature.

on another note, i've been silently following this thread because why not? anyhow, a lot of you guys are having a tremendous amount of difficulty with these units. they definitely are not plug-and-play for many and perhaps the way to go if buying is through 4x4 and purchasing the tech support to walk one through all of these problems that many are having for those that are considering purchasing this unit but are on the fence.
This. I'm not a "tinkerer" and wouldn't have the patience for this, but that is only me.
davyjordi (05-25-20)
Old 05-25-20, 09:26 AM
milimart
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
I have the same version. I also bought in 2019. Unfortunately 5.1.1.
I was wondering if there is update.zip - Android 6 or 7 for this generation (2/32) of unit. I did not find.
I got my updated today. I’ll try and then can send it to you
dvolcov (04-09-21)
Old 05-25-20, 10:40 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
This. I'm not a "tinkerer" and wouldn't have the patience for this, but that is only me.
I seem to be the only one with major issues. First issue was unfortunately my unit needed a different wiring harness. I also bought a unit that was meant for an RCF but the vendor said it would fit but didn’t. Vendor made it right.

The over heating I’m experiencing now seems to be a software update issue and possibly my fault. I was trying to strengthen my gps signal and changed some settings that may have been the culprit. I didn’t start over heating till after that. I’ve reset and will do some rest driving. I’ve done research, only 1 other person in this thread had overheating issues but received a software update.

The other major issue has been the false advertisings of Android 9.0 and 1280x720 screens. Many of us have put it past us and understand what it is.

If you don’t feel the risk is worth the reward, then don’t bother. These units are plug and play. Others have gone different routes and hardwired some components because they’re experienced in it. Others are more familiar with Android and are doing other things on that platform to further their customization of the screen.

But you plug everything in and it works. Most other issues tend to do with settings. The vendor customer service I’ve received has been great.

And to be honest, every now and then someone is going to get a defective unit. There are several people here that have this unit and have little to no issues and continue to enjoy their screen.

Last edited by tnilc; 05-25-20 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 10:51 AM
sebaw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by milimart
I got my updated today. I’ll try and then can send it to you
Thank you, that would be great.
Old 05-25-20, 12:53 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I’ve had no issues for over a year lol but that’s just me.
enkrypt3d (05-26-20)
Old 05-25-20, 01:16 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi

Considering how long this thread has been, there are lots of people without issues. The issues so far are from 2-4 people trying to figure it out or have defective units.
Old 05-25-20, 01:39 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Update:

I drove for over 2.5 hours, almost 3, non stop. I took a nice cruise down PCH from south orange county and got home. Did not turn the car off once and my unit was completely fine. No crashing, no rebooting, no freezing. I think this may have been my fault because I adjusted some settings last week to strengthen my GPS signal. I didn't drive until this weekend, undid what I did and now it's back to normal. Drove the entire way with my GPS map on guiding the way.

Not even 1 inaccurate gps signal either.
Old 05-26-20, 01:09 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Considering how long this thread has been, there are lots of people without issues. The issues so far are from 2-4 people trying to figure it out or have defective units.
only one person likes to come into this thread to point out problems as valid reasons not to buy.

but you’re right on the money. Number of purchases for this unit versus how many have had some issue is relatively low. Not only that but this unit is available for the NX, ES, RX I think and many other models. While researching my problems, the reviews in other forums have been positive and nearly all issues have been resolved with vendor help.

but there’s always a chance for that one defective unit.
Old 05-26-20, 03:02 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
only one person likes to come into this thread to point out problems as valid reasons not to buy.

but you’re right on the money. Number of purchases for this unit versus how many have had some issue is relatively low. Not only that but this unit is available for the NX, ES, RX I think and many other models. While researching my problems, the reviews in other forums have been positive and nearly all issues have been resolved with vendor help.

but there’s always a chance for that one defective unit.
That one person just wants to validate their purchasing decisions lol. They do it for other things as well, but hey their loss. This unit is amazing and 110% worth the money. If mine ever breaks or something, I’ll get the newest version available from 4x4Shop.
tnilc (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 03:37 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
That one person just wants to validate their purchasing decisions lol. They do it for other things as well, but hey their loss. This unit is amazing and 110% worth the money. If mine ever breaks or something, I’ll get the newest version available from 4x4Shop.
Same here. One thing about them is that they're always looking to improve their products. The fact that they have great support helps a great deal as well.
tnilc (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 04:21 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Also ppl that have no issues are not going to bother posting here saying "everything is great with my unit!" for the most part... unless they are a CL member of course.... so there is a little confirmation bias in that regard.

I still need to swap out my unit for the latest version! Wondering if the new unit will be shipping with the latest firmware or will I have to upgrade it?
tnilc (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 06:14 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
Also ppl that have no issues are not going to bother posting here saying "everything is great with my unit!" for the most part... unless they are a CL member of course.... so there is a little confirmation bias in that regard.

I still need to swap out my unit for the latest version! Wondering if the new unit will be shipping with the latest firmware or will I have to upgrade it?
I post whatever problems I have to find help because their's no instructions lol. But the vendor has been great.

Once I find a solution, I share the solution with others in case they run into it. I mean, that's what this forum and this thread is for.

So far, none of my problems are related to the unit but rather settings and just figuring out the system. Others that have problems are ones that have way more experience doing add ons or modifications or Android development. I get for them, things may not be up to par, but for most end users, it's a great purchase.

Last edited by tnilc; 05-26-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 06:19 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flash5
Yeah, it's whatever though. I understand problems making others skeptical about buying a product, but it's really not necessary to come into threads and gloat about why they made the right decision of not to buy because others are having problems.

When it comes down to it, this screen and a tune are the first 2 things I'd recommend any new owner to buy if they didn't already have the bigger OEM screen. This screen definitely adds a bit more luxury to the interior. Having a Lexus with such a small screen with limited capability was really quite sad.
Flash5 (05-27-20)
Old 05-26-20, 07:11 PM
robsta8886
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I fixed with a ground loop isolator. Check my post on PG104 of this thread for the wire connections. Coming off the smaller connector in the picture are the audio wires that come from the head unit. The audio wires are easy to identify because they break out into an RCA like cable. I cut the cable and added stereo mini plugs onto each end that plug into the isolator. If I had to do it again, I would buy an isolater that uses RCA, as the wire size/type is the same as the harness wire.
Can you describe the wiring?

I installed a ground loop isolator with the wires coming right out of the back of the android headunit, using the red, white, and black wires. Are you using the same ground that is used as shielding going the goes into the pigtail harness? I am still getting the same popping / static noise with A/V and Aux with the ground loop isolator installed in line and starting to suspect that maybe I need to ground it to chassis instead of using the harness ground. Thanks for any insight.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca