10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 07:36 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by robsta8886
Can you describe the wiring?

I installed a ground loop isolator with the wires coming right out of the back of the android headunit, using the red, white, and black wires. Are you using the same ground that is used as shielding going the goes into the pigtail harness? I am still getting the same popping / static noise with A/V and Aux with the ground loop isolator installed in line and starting to suspect that maybe I need to ground it to chassis instead of using the harness ground. Thanks for any insight.
I used the following:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HBLQ39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HBLQ39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This resolved the whine I could hear when the volume was above 40 and nothing was playing over the speakers. What is still present is a very slight random quiet pop noise, but it can only be heard with nothing playing on the speakers, and it happens few and far between (to the point that is a non-issue for me).
Old 05-27-20, 09:29 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tnilc
Update:

I drove for over 2.5 hours, almost 3, non stop. I took a nice cruise down PCH from south orange county and got home. Did not turn the car off once and my unit was completely fine. No crashing, no rebooting, no freezing. I think this may have been my fault because I adjusted some settings last week to strengthen my GPS signal. I didn't drive until this weekend, undid what I did and now it's back to normal. Drove the entire way with my GPS map on guiding the way.

Not even 1 inaccurate gps signal either.
I have been working from home, so I have not been driving much. This morning I took a 20 minute drive with Spotify playing music, split screen google maps running a route and CPU-Z showing my CPU temp. The unit was running 91-96C My warranty sticker broke by just handling the unit during install, so I might as well just take it apart and see what can be done to increase cooling.

I am also suspicious of the processor specs. I have been unable to find a single manufacturer that makes an A53 octa, that has a Mali-400 GPU. I think it's likely this is a 4 core A53, that's been spoofed to show up as an 8 core.

Last edited by rcJten; 05-27-20 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 01:59 PM
EugeneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I have been working from home, so I have not been driving much. This morning I took a 20 minute drive with Spotify playing music, split screen google maps running a route and CPU-Z showing my CPU temp. The unit was running 91-96C My warranty sticker broke by just handling the unit during install, so I might as well just take it apart and see what can be done to increase cooling.

I am also suspicious of the processor specs. I have been unable to find a single manufacturer that makes an A53 octa, that has a Mali-400 GPU. I think it's likely this is a 4 core A53, that's been spoofed to show up as an 8 core.

You have unit based on Samsung (nexell) S5P6818 SoC which includes Cortex-A53 Octa core CPU by default.

And Samsung S5P6818 + Mali 400 is not something unique.
Old 05-27-20, 02:55 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EugeneIS
You have unit based on Samsung (nexell) S5P6818 SoC which includes Cortex-A53 Octa core CPU by default.

And Samsung S5P6818 + Mali 400 is not something unique.
I was just coming back to say as much. I found the following:
http://www.nexell.co.kr/?page_id=300
Old 05-27-20, 06:09 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I’m just going to nod my head in agreement with you guys

Old 05-27-20, 06:11 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Please let me know what you come up with. I don’t have the experience you do so I was just thinking of adding a heat sink to the back panel.

my tamper sticker broke too.
Old 05-27-20, 11:31 PM
EugeneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with disabling background activity of apps as much as possible. Too many apps running in background slow down processor and make it heat, it is general issue of all android devices.
Old 05-28-20, 10:28 AM
HKBruin
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all, I have been following this thread for long time. Last week I decided to pull the trigger and purchase this unit.
Can someone please share how to install the GPS antenna by the windshield? I don't see any gaps to route the cable and snake it to the screen. Which dash board trim I need to remove? Any tip would be appreciated.

Last edited by HKBruin; 05-28-20 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 10:48 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by HKBruin
Hello all, I have been following this thread for long time. Last week I decided to bite the bullet and purchased this unit.
Can someone please share how to install the GPS antenna by the windshield? I don't see any gaps to route the cable and snake it to the screen. Which dash board trim I need to remove? Any tip would be appreciated.
I routed it through the center speaker. It was the easiest way.
Old 05-28-20, 11:05 AM
HKBruin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flash5
I routed it through the center speaker. It was the easiest way.
Do you have a top view picture to show me? How did you run that GPS cable to the back of the screen with its exposure to a minimum?
Old 05-28-20, 11:08 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Hello all, I have been following this thread for long time. Last week I decided to bite the bullet and purchased this unit.
Mount it under your dash on the metal cross pipe. It works well. Signal is good.

Personally I don’t want it on my dash or in view.
Old 05-28-20, 11:08 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Do you have a top view picture to show me? How did you run that GPS cable to the back of the screen with its exposure to a minimum?
I don’t have a picture. I just tied up the excess cable and left it behind the screen and just left enough loose to route it on the dash. My gps antenna is in the middle of the dash not on the right or left side.
The following users liked this post:
HKBruin (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 11:10 AM
HKBruin
Rookie

Mount it under your dash on the metal cross pipe. It works well. Signal is good.

Personally I don’t want it on my dash or in view.
What do you mean by metal cross pipe? Do you have a picture to share? Appreciate it.
Old 05-28-20, 11:12 AM
tnilc
Instructor

What do you mean by metal cross pipe? Do you have a picture to share? Appreciate it.
I don’t unfortunately. I think @rcJten does.

when you remove the glove box, get underneath the dash. You’ll see a cross pipe for the body of the car. You want to mount the antenna on something metal, it will help increase the signal strength.

It’s where I have mine and it does not give me an inaccurate signal anymore.
The following users liked this post:
HKBruin (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 11:16 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I don’t unfortunately. I think @rcJten does.

when you remove the glove box, get underneath the dash. You’ll see a cross pipe for the body of the car. You want to mount the antenna on something metal, it will help increase the signal strength.

It’s where I have mine and it does not give me an inaccurate signal anymore.
This is actually a good idea. I would relocate mine, but I honestly never use the screen’s GPS since Apple CarPlay uses the phone’s GPS.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca