IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 11:27 AM
HKBruin
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw a large radio antenna included in the package. Did someone install it? I understand this is old school .........
Old 05-28-20, 12:00 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by HKBruin
I saw a large radio antenna included in the package. Did someone install it? I understand this is old school .........
picture? Who’d you buy from?
Old 05-28-20, 12:15 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Bought it from Alibaba.
Old 05-28-20, 12:48 PM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought it from Alibaba.
That is the 4g antenna. If you want to install with a simcard then this is needed for reception orelse it isn't needed. I installed mine and use with a simcard for Internet
Old 05-28-20, 01:12 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Bought it from Alibaba.
what’s the back of your unit look like?
Old 05-28-20, 01:18 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by LFields
That is the 4g antenna. If you want to install with a simcard then this is needed for reception orelse it isn't needed. I installed mine and use with a simcard for Internet
hmm. Are you sure? There’s only 1 sma plug and it’s for the gps.
Old 05-28-20, 01:23 PM
LFields
Rookie

Originally Posted by tnilc
hmm. Are you sure? There’s only 1 sma plug and it’s for the gps.
There are 2 small plugs on the 64gb version. One for GPS and one for 4g antenna. The 4g one screws on whereas the gps antenna clips on. I have attached a pic to show this.

Last edited by LFields; 05-28-20 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 01:39 PM
tnilc
Instructor

There are 2 small plugs on the 64gb version. One for GPS and one for 4g antenna. The 4g one screws on whereas the gps antenna clips on. I have attached a pic to show this.
oh that makes sense. Sadly I don’t have that version.
Old 05-28-20, 02:12 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Yes, I have the same back view.
Where is the SIM card slot?
Old 05-28-20, 04:21 PM
LFields
Rookie

Yes, I have the same back view.
Where is the SIM card slot?
The sim slot is on the rear at the top centre. It is a small cut out just enough for a micro sim card. I can't remember which way it goes in but you should hear it click if inserted correctly
Old 05-28-20, 04:55 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

What do you mean by metal cross pipe? Do you have a picture to share? Appreciate it.
I mounted my antenna on top of the metal bracket, coming off of the metal tube that runs across the dash. It wedged into the spot without any need for the adhesive backing.

The following users liked this post:
tnilc (05-30-20)
Old 05-28-20, 05:09 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EugeneIS
Start with disabling background activity of apps as much as possible. Too many apps running in background slow down processor and make it heat, it is general issue of all android devices.
Problem fixed.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...l#post10814248
tnilc (05-30-20)
Old 05-28-20, 05:36 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rcJten
I mounted my antenna on top of the metal bracket, coming off of the metal tube that runs across the dash. It wedged into the spot without any need for the adhesive backing.
Amazing. How did you guys figure these locations? Simply unbelievable!
Old 05-28-20, 06:14 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Amazing. How did you guys figure these locations? Simply unbelievable!
Just experience, research and trial and error. If you're not willing to figure things out, mods like these aren't worth it.

With GPS antennas, ideally you want it placed like @Flash5 ,it's recommend the antenna go on the dash under the windshield in order to get the best non interrupted signal to the satellite. Some even install on the roof or trunk, but it looks ugly.

A lot of audio shops will install on the dash but some will install in the dash on anything metal in order to strengthen the signal reception. GPS signals really don't penetrate structures very well so the signal will be weaker, so the dash isn't really the greatest but if you're going to put it there, you want to mount it on top of something metal, not underneath metal as it could interfere with your signal.

So far my signal is great, it only comes back with inaccurate signal when it boots up as it is trying to connect with the satellite. Once it's connected, it doesn't drop with the antenna installed on that location.

HKBruin (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 07:31 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Originally Posted by tnilc
Just experience, research and trial and error. If you're not willing to figure things out, mods like these aren't worth it.

With GPS antennas, ideally you want it placed like @Flash5 ,it's recommend the antenna go on the dash under the windshield in order to get the best non interrupted signal to the satellite. Some even install on the roof or trunk, but it looks ugly.

A lot of audio shops will install on the dash but some will install in the dash on anything metal in order to strengthen the signal reception. GPS signals really don't penetrate structures very well so the signal will be weaker, so the dash isn't really the greatest but if you're going to put it there, you want to mount it on top of something metal, not underneath metal as it could interfere with your signal.

So far my signal is great, it only comes back with inaccurate signal when it boots up as it is trying to connect with the satellite. Once it's connected, it doesn't drop with the antenna installed on that location.
So let me get this right. The picture rcJten showed us was the internal view after the glove compartment is removed. Based on the red arrow position, are you saying you mounted the GPS antenna below the "metal cross pipe" which is still underneath the dash? You have good GPS signal from that location?

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca