IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 08:55 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i'm totally done in this thread. you all enjoy trying to solve your software/hardware problems as you have difficulties installing the device in the first place.

but, but, but...where do i mount the antenna?!? how many degrees is your unit running at?! what version of android is your unit running?! why is my gps not syncing??????

have fun, all.
Oh I'm definitely enjoying my 10" touchscreen that runs Apple CarPlay flawlessly. You're missing out because you're afraid of installs (or you lack the knowledge in doing basic installs more likely).
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash5:
MattNXF (05-30-20), tnilc (05-30-20)
Old 05-30-20, 09:43 AM
MattNXF
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Oh I'm definitely enjoying my 10" touchscreen that runs Apple CarPlay flawlessly. You're missing out because you're afraid of installs (or you lack the knowledge in doing basic installs more likely).
He just came to troll. Let him live in his safe space without criticism or the danger of opposing views.

Old 05-30-20, 10:58 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

I've been utilizing my Ignore List, but I'm glad you guys quoted because it was a pretty good laugh.
Old 05-30-20, 11:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Mattnxf, davyjordi knock off the personal comments or exit this thread.

Also flash5 and davyjordi, please stop with the moderator comments... we will advise when its time for folks to stop posting in the the thread. If you have a problem with another members post report the post and walk away
The following users liked this post:
tnilc (05-30-20)
Old 05-30-20, 11:09 AM
tnilc
Instructor

So all of the problems, I'm going to go on record of the problems I've had so future users can educate themselves. Anyone else is more than welcomed to add to my list.

-Wrong Wiring Harness - possibly my fault for ordering an RCF unit, but also vendor for being wrong saying it should fit, vendor made it right, no cost to me - RESOLVED
-False advertising of Android 9.0 and 1920x480 screen - Resolved
-GPS Syncing - trial and error with where best to put the antenna since I didn't want it on the dashboard, found the best spot, no longer loses signal - RESOLVED
-Overheating - MY FAULT - I had changed some settings on my system to do what I thought would improve my signal. Unit does not overheat or crash like it did for that one day - RESOLVED
-Install - plug and play, but if you don't have the nuts to dismantle your interior or try to, pay someone else to - RESOLVED
-YouTube audio not working - MY FAULT - didn't know I had to switch to AUX lol - RESOLVED
-GPS Sygic audio not working - MY FAULT - had the external speaker volume too low - RESOLVED
-Warranty - NOT VOIDED

Now this is just me...everyone else seems to have no issues. Anyone with issues is someone going beyond basic end user and trying things out of trial and error for their own personal experimentation and joy.

When it comes down to it, I would do it all over again because I'm happy with this unit. The customer service I have received has been amazing, even from overseas in China. If I ask a question during their business hours, I get a reply within minutes. +1 for Stefan.

This is what modifying your car is about. You're adding aftermarket parts from a 3rd party, when it's a direct fit and no issues, that's great but sometimes you have to adjust things or figure things out to best maximize your new parts. This is what makes modifying your car fun. If you're not inquisitive or have the ability to figure things out or patience, then stick to stock.

Last edited by tnilc; 05-30-20 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 11:15 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnilc
So all of the problems, I'm going to go on record of the problems I've had so future users can educate themselves. Anyone else is more than welcomed to add to my list.

-Wrong Wiring Harness - possibly my fault for ordering an RCF unit, but also vendor for being wrong saying it should fit, vendor made it right, no cost to me - RESOLVED
-GPS Syncing - trial and error with where best to put the antenna since I didn't want it on the dashboard, found the best spot, no longer loses signal - RESOLVED
-Overheating - MY FAULT - I had changed some settings on my system to do what I thought would improve my signal. Unit does not overheat or crash like it did for that one day - RESOLVED
-Install - plug and play, but if you don't have the nuts to dismantle your interior or try to, pay someone else to - RESOLVED
-YouTube audio not working - MY FAULT - didn't know I had to switch to AUX lol - RESOLVED
-GPS Sygic audio not working - MY FAULT - had the external speaker volume too low - RESOLVED
-Warranty - NOT VOIDED

Now this is just me...everyone else seems to have no issues. Anyone with issues is someone going beyond basic end user and trying things out of trial and error for their own personal experimentation and joy.

When it comes down to it, I would do it all over again because I'm happy with this unit. The customer service I have received has been amazing, every from overseas in China. If I ask a question during their business hours, I get a reply within minutes. +1 for Stefan.

This is what modifying your car is about. You're adding aftermarket parts from a 3rd party, when it's a direct fit and no issues, that's great but sometimes you have to adjust things or figure things out to best maximize your new parts. This is what makes modifying your car fun. If you're not inquisitive or have the ability to figure things out or patience, then stick to stock.
I'm glad that it wasn't just us 4x4Shop customers that got good support. So far I haven't seen anyone be disappointed with the screen once the install and learning the system is over with. I have to admit it is indeed a little frustrating at first trying to figure it all out, etc, but once you have it all down it's the best functional interior mod if you value a good infotainment system.
Old 05-30-20, 11:16 AM
tnilc
Instructor

@rcJten heatsink and fan mod has me curious. I want to try it, not because I have to, but because I enjoy the challenge.
Old 05-30-20, 11:17 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

@rcJten heatsink and fan mod has me curious. I want to try it, not because I have to, but because I enjoy the challenge.
Considering I have like probably the very first iteration of this screen for the IS, I never encountered a heat issue at all. I would imagine your newer units have more power and whatnot causing more heat?
Old 05-30-20, 11:20 AM
tnilc
Instructor

I'm glad that it wasn't just us 4x4Shop customers that got good support. So far I haven't seen anyone be disappointed with the screen once the install and learning the system is over with. I have to admit it is indeed a little frustrating at first trying to figure it all out, etc, but once you have it all down it's the best functional interior mod if you value a good infotainment system.
I think the best way to put it, it's like getting a new phone or switching from Apple to Android or Android to Apple. If you're new to it, you want to mess around with it and figure out your own personal settings but you're not familiar with everything yet. But once you have your settings down, you dread updating or switching to another system because you're going to lose those settings.

For me, never really dealt with an Android before, so this is all new.
Old 05-30-20, 11:22 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Considering I have like probably the very first iteration of this screen for the IS, I never encountered a heat issue at all. I would imagine your newer units have more power and whatnot causing more heat?
That's possible. My issue was I changed the Sygic settings to maximize power settings, signal settings, etc. That's when it started crashing and rebooting on me or getting stuck.

If you ever get a chance, please share your temp settings for comparison. Before I was thinking about just putting a heatsink on the unit, but now I want to try the fan. This completely unnecessary, but I want to try.
Old 05-30-20, 11:28 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

That's possible. My issue was I changed the Sygic settings to maximize power settings, signal settings, etc. That's when it started crashing and rebooting on me or getting stuck.

If you ever get a chance, please share your temp settings for comparison. Before I was thinking about just putting a heatsink on the unit, but now I want to try the fan. This completely unnecessary, but I want to try.
Yeah I will do that. What did you use to get the temperature readout? A certain app or what?

I'm honestly surprised none of us at any point decided to do a DIY install video for the IS for these screens lol. If I could go back I would record the install to help everyone out. I think just having a video on how to do it would make life so much simpler for the people less inclined to mess with an install with no instructions.
Old 05-30-20, 11:36 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Yeah I will do that. What did you use to get the temperature readout? A certain app or what?

I'm honestly surprised none of us at any point decided to do a DIY install video for the IS for these screens lol. If I could go back I would record the install to help everyone out. I think just having a video on how to do it would make life so much simpler for the people less inclined to mess with an install with no instructions.
Use CPU-Z from the Play store, it'll give you unit temperatures.

When it comes to install...I'm going to share a install hack I figured out...

When you're routing the wire harness from the center console up to the unit through the right side, attach the end of the harness or wire to a stick, trim tool or whatever and slide it up from the bottom to the top of the display opening. Routing the harness is pretty hard by hand, but by using a tool to feed it straight up, it makes it much easier and quicker.
Old 05-30-20, 11:49 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Use CPU-Z from the Play store, it'll give you unit temperatures.

When it comes to install...I'm going to share a install hack I figured out...

When you're routing the wire harness from the center console up to the unit through the right side, attach the end of the harness or wire to a stick, trim tool or whatever and slide it up from the bottom to the top of the display opening. Routing the harness is pretty hard by hand, but by using a tool to feed it straight up, it makes it much easier and quicker.
Alrighty, I'll download it.

Oh man, I remember routing the harness and sticking my hand in behind the dash and realizing how small the opening was to route the wires lol. It took me a while to route them up with just my hand, but I managed it. That's a good tip.

I also really regret not buying a USB extension cable to route the USB port into the armrest console instead of having it in the glove box.
Old 05-30-20, 11:52 AM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just thought I'd add my take on the screen after a month of heavy usage.

No issues at all now on my unit, I posted issues when I got my screen fitted (which was also straight forward) but everything has been resolved with the great customer service (Chinese sellers are really helpful)

My unit now works like the oem screen with android built in if I choose to use it. I have the 64gb version which has the 720p screen and I use it with a simcard which is used for data. At the moment the average temp here in UK this week is 23c but alot warmer when I get in my car but not had a single issue with reboots or overheating. I have uploaded my temps below so you can compare to your own unit as I have seen this requested.

Any questions and I am here to help as that is what forums are for. If you aint got the screen and have no intentions of getting it then no-one wants to read your bs, but if you are interested and genuinely have questions before your purchase then ask away!. All the help to resolve problems have been mentioned in this thread and the people who have the unit will happily help in getting you up and running if you are having issues. I personally had questions before I ordered it aswel but luckily we have members on this forum that don't just diss every chance they get.

I have done a few small mods to my car but this is easily the best by far and I get a lot of compliments with this new screen.

The best part is if you don't want to use the android side you can use oem features just like before but you have a massive screen. The small oem screen looks out of place in the IS. What a difference this screen makes!

Also wanted to add that I dont like antennas showing either so I have hid the antennas for the 4g and gps and dont have any signal issues with either and my mic is hidden on the side of the screen which works perfectly and cannot be seen. The 64gb version doesn't have an additional speaker for navigation and instead it uses the left-side front door speaker for navigation or you can set it to use all of your speakers and adjust the volume

Last edited by LFields; 05-30-20 at 12:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by LFields:
Farizzl3 (06-01-20), Flash5 (05-30-20), Rhydg1 (05-30-20), tnilc (05-30-20)
Old 05-30-20, 01:27 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by LFields
I just thought I'd add my take on the screen after a month of heavy usage.

No issues at all now on my unit, I posted issues when I got my screen fitted (which was also straight forward) but everything has been resolved with the great customer service (Chinese sellers are really helpful)

My unit now works like the oem screen with android built in if I choose to use it. I have the 64gb version which has the 720p screen and I use it with a simcard which is used for data. At the moment the average temp here in UK this week is 23c but alot warmer when I get in my car but not had a single issue with reboots or overheating. I have uploaded my temps below so you can compare to your own unit as I have seen this requested.

Any questions and I am here to help as that is what forums are for. If you aint got the screen and have no intentions of getting it then no-one wants to read your bs, but if you are interested and genuinely have questions before your purchase then ask away!. All the help to resolve problems have been mentioned in this thread and the people who have the unit will happily help in getting you up and running if you are having issues. I personally had questions before I ordered it aswel but luckily we have members on this forum that don't just diss every chance they get.

I have done a few small mods to my car but this is easily the best by far and I get a lot of compliments with this new screen.

The best part is if you don't want to use the android side you can use oem features just like before but you have a massive screen. The small oem screen looks out of place in the IS. What a difference this screen makes!

Also wanted to add that I dont like antennas showing either so I have hid the antennas for the 4g and gps and dont have any signal issues with either and my mic is hidden on the side of the screen which works perfectly and cannot be seen. The 64gb version doesn't have an additional speaker for navigation and instead it uses the left-side front door speaker for navigation or you can set it to use all of your speakers and adjust the volume
Just got my unit and only had a couple of hours to play with it. Interestingly, I was seeing very similar temps as you after about 30 mins of use parked in my garage. I showed Stefan from NaviHua and he stated the engineers are going to work on a software to reduce that.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca