IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 01:46 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
Just got my unit and only had a couple of hours to play with it. Interestingly, I was seeing very similar temps as you after about 30 mins of use parked in my garage. I showed Stefan from NaviHua and he stated the engineers are going to work on a software to reduce that.
Yeah I reported that to Stefan, turns out for me, it was my settings that caused it to crash. When I changed it back, everything was fine.

But if they can still release a new update that lower temps, that's even better. I'm still going to try to heat sink fan mod out of fun.
Old 05-30-20, 01:48 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by LFields
I just thought I'd add my take on the screen after a month of heavy usage.

No issues at all now on my unit, I posted issues when I got my screen fitted (which was also straight forward) but everything has been resolved with the great customer service (Chinese sellers are really helpful)

My unit now works like the oem screen with android built in if I choose to use it. I have the 64gb version which has the 720p screen and I use it with a simcard which is used for data. At the moment the average temp here in UK this week is 23c but alot warmer when I get in my car but not had a single issue with reboots or overheating. I have uploaded my temps below so you can compare to your own unit as I have seen this requested.

Any questions and I am here to help as that is what forums are for. If you aint got the screen and have no intentions of getting it then no-one wants to read your bs, but if you are interested and genuinely have questions before your purchase then ask away!. All the help to resolve problems have been mentioned in this thread and the people who have the unit will happily help in getting you up and running if you are having issues. I personally had questions before I ordered it aswel but luckily we have members on this forum that don't just diss every chance they get.

I have done a few small mods to my car but this is easily the best by far and I get a lot of compliments with this new screen.

The best part is if you don't want to use the android side you can use oem features just like before but you have a massive screen. The small oem screen looks out of place in the IS. What a difference this screen makes!

Also wanted to add that I dont like antennas showing either so I have hid the antennas for the 4g and gps and dont have any signal issues with either and my mic is hidden on the side of the screen which works perfectly and cannot be seen. The 64gb version doesn't have an additional speaker for navigation and instead it uses the left-side front door speaker for navigation or you can set it to use all of your speakers and adjust the volume

Agreed, everyone's help here has made things easier. If other's had not said they left their speaker and mic behind the unit, I would have tried doing something else harder.
Old 05-30-20, 01:50 PM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
Just got my unit and only had a couple of hours to play with it. Interestingly, I was seeing very similar temps as you after about 30 mins of use parked in my garage. I showed Stefan from NaviHua and he stated the engineers are going to work on a software to reduce that.
Is the temp causing you any issues? Mine is perfectly fine with this temp and this pic was taken as soon as I sat in my car which was very hot
Old 05-30-20, 02:44 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Is the temp causing you any issues? Mine is perfectly fine with this temp and this pic was taken as soon as I sat in my car which was very hot
I’ve encountered 1 crash so far, but not sure if it was caused by heat. Not sure how it will respond sitting in the sun during the day. Either way I’d prefer to have lower temps to reduce the thermal load on the unit.
Old 05-30-20, 03:38 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I just thought I'd add my take on the screen after a month of heavy usage.

No issues at all now on my unit, I posted issues when I got my screen fitted (which was also straight forward) but everything has been resolved with the great customer service (Chinese sellers are really helpful)

My unit now works like the oem screen with android built in if I choose to use it. I have the 64gb version which has the 720p screen and I use it with a simcard which is used for data. At the moment the average temp here in UK this week is 23c but alot warmer when I get in my car but not had a single issue with reboots or overheating. I have uploaded my temps below so you can compare to your own unit as I have seen this requested.

Any questions and I am here to help as that is what forums are for. If you aint got the screen and have no intentions of getting it then no-one wants to read your bs, but if you are interested and genuinely have questions before your purchase then ask away!. All the help to resolve problems have been mentioned in this thread and the people who have the unit will happily help in getting you up and running if you are having issues. I personally had questions before I ordered it aswel but luckily we have members on this forum that don't just diss every chance they get.

I have done a few small mods to my car but this is easily the best by far and I get a lot of compliments with this new screen.

The best part is if you don't want to use the android side you can use oem features just like before but you have a massive screen. The small oem screen looks out of place in the IS. What a difference this screen makes!

Also wanted to add that I dont like antennas showing either so I have hid the antennas for the 4g and gps and dont have any signal issues with either and my mic is hidden on the side of the screen which works perfectly and cannot be seen. The 64gb version doesn't have an additional speaker for navigation and instead it uses the left-side front door speaker for navigation or you can set it to use all of your speakers and adjust the volume
Sounds like you've had a pretty positive experience overall. What seller did you pick yours up from?
Old 05-30-20, 09:02 PM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
Sounds like you've had a pretty positive experience overall. What seller did you pick yours up from?
Navihua on alibaba. I am very happy with the unit, I was expecting a laggy unit like the knockoff android clone phones you find online but this is a very smooth interface with no crashes at all for me. I would advise everyone who purchased this unit to ask the supplier for the latest update like I did, the problems people experienced in the past was mostly because they needed a update to fix the bugs and I don't know if they are shipped out with the latest update (I know mine wasnt).
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-30-20)
Old 05-31-20, 01:52 PM
Thatschwag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the 4x4 shop unit myself. Just got done installing it. Took about an hour or so. Ran the GPS antenna wire down the defrost vents (was able to pull it out at the vent fitting), so it's perfect. Tucked the mic away on the left side of the screen. I ran the USB cable through the center console. The Bluetooth connectivity is HORRIBLE. I have factory reset and everything. Soundq is pretty decent with an equalizer. Had to play with the gain on my JL amp, so outputs have changed. The wifi connectivity is super slow as well. It's literally right above my router and can't even stream @360p. It will not sync up with Android auto. However, it will sync up with easy connect. Speaking of Bluetooth, I can't even find the option to turn it on. I have to kind of backdoor it through that easyconnect program. Anyone have any input on the slow connections and the terrible *** Bluetooth?
​​​​​​

Old 05-31-20, 02:53 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thatschwag
I got the 4x4 shop unit myself. Just got done installing it. Took about an hour or so. Ran the GPS antenna wire down the defrost vents (was able to pull it out at the vent fitting), so it's perfect. Tucked the mic away on the left side of the screen. I ran the USB cable through the center console. The Bluetooth connectivity is HORRIBLE. I have factory reset and everything. Soundq is pretty decent with an equalizer. Had to play with the gain on my JL amp, so outputs have changed. The wifi connectivity is super slow as well. It's literally right above my router and can't even stream @360p. It will not sync up with Android auto. However, it will sync up with easy connect. Speaking of Bluetooth, I can't even find the option to turn it on. I have to kind of backdoor it through that easyconnect program. Anyone have any input on the slow connections and the terrible *** Bluetooth?
​​​​​​

Are you using a wireless dongle?
Old 05-31-20, 03:00 PM
Thatschwag
Driver School Candidate

Not currently. The one white connector that came with my unit is very apple looking, and I just took straight usb-c cable to the USB port from the harness.

Old 05-31-20, 03:03 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Not currently. The one white connector that came with my unit is very apple looking, and I just took straight usb-c cable to the USB port from the harness.
That's a dongle for CarPlay or Android Auto, if it has wireless capabilities, it's probably interfering with your Bluetooth and GPS Signal.

I had a wireless one for CarPlay, but I kept losing my GPS signal and it kept reconnecting. I removed the dongle and everything worked flawlessly. Upon researching I saw there's an update that helps fix it. I decided not to use the dongle anymore when I realized I could mirror my phone screen to my display without it.
Old 05-31-20, 03:21 PM
Thatschwag
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the response. I'll have to pull the center console out again haha. I'll put it on and see what happens. I don't know why I can't access the Bluetooth list like an Android tablet would. When I can get it to connect, it just says: "Bluetooth Share" has stopped working. Might be a firmware issue. I've tried multiple phones, it's just super picky on when it connects. The WiFi, I don't know why it's so damn slow either (unless this dongle has an adapter). it's light-years better than the annoying stock screen.

It won't find my kiwi2+ obd2 adapter at all. One of the main reasons I wanted to do this was to run torque pro on one side/media/nav on the other. Already have aem AFR/Boost gauges on my a-pillar (go ahead and flame ahah). I guess I could mirror it, but ugh.

Last edited by Thatschwag; 05-31-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-31-20, 04:43 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Appreciate the response. I'll have to pull the center console out again haha. I'll put it on and see what happens. I don't know why I can't access the Bluetooth list like an Android tablet would. When I can get it to connect, it just says: "Bluetooth Share" has stopped working. Might be a firmware issue. I've tried multiple phones, it's just super picky on when it connects. The WiFi, I don't know why it's so damn slow either (unless this dongle has an adapter). it's light-years better than the annoying stock screen.

It won't find my kiwi2+ obd2 adapter at all. One of the main reasons I wanted to do this was to run torque pro on one side/media/nav on the other. Already have aem AFR/Boost gauges on my a-pillar (go ahead and flame ahah). I guess I could mirror it, but ugh.
Getting this unit, there’s a lotta trial and error you gotta go through before you get it just right.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-20, 08:56 PM
tnilc
Instructor

So I followed @rcJten lead and installed a fan on my Android display.

I didn't take many pics. I thought I took one of the fan installed but it was blurry. I installed a low profile dual fan and some heat sinks. I took an old USB cable, cut off one end and made my own USB to fan power cable and plugged it into a USB hub in my glove box. I didn't cut any of the trim or the back metal panel. I only had the unit on for a bit. I couldn't get out to drive due to the curfew due to the looting and protesting. I think I'll definitely see some positive results. I may cut the back panel in the future if I need to, but I want to test things first.

With the radio on, I do not hear the fans at all. I only hear them when the car completely shuts off and the fans stay on for another 10 seconds before powering off.

Note: This mod is not really necessary. I did it for the challenge. Thanks to rcJten for the idea. I originally was just going to put a heatsink, but this is way better.

This is the fan I used to install:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q9L4XFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q9L4XFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

​​​​​​

Last edited by tnilc; 05-31-20 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 09:46 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
So I followed @rcJten lead and installed a fan on my Android display.

I didn't take many pics. I thought I took one of the fan installed but it was blurry. I installed a low profile dual fan and some heat sinks. I took an old USB cable, cut off one end and made my own USB to fan power cable and plugged it into a USB hub in my glove box. I didn't cut any of the trim or the back metal panel. I only had the unit on for a bit. I couldn't get out to drive due to the curfew due to the looting and protesting. I think I'll definitely see some positive results. I may cut the back panel in the future if I need to, but I want to test things first.

With the radio on, I do not hear the fans at all. I only hear them when the car completely shuts off and the fans stay on for another 10 seconds before powering off.

Note: This mod is not really necessary. I did it for the challenge. Thanks to rcJten for the idea. I originally was just going to put a heatsink, but this is way better.

This is the fan I used to install:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

​​​​​​
I would expect at least a -10c drop in temps. In response to the question above about the high CPU temps causing issues, my unit froze and rebooted on at least three of the first 5-6 drives I took with the unit. Since installing the heat sink and fan, I have not had any reboots.

I am considering another mod for this unit. My Vline had a 24bit DAC, where as this unit has a 16bit, and to my ears it sounds as though it has much less range. I am looking at the Firefly Black USB DAC. This DAC "should" also alleviate any issues with ground noise and or popping.
Old 06-01-20, 04:45 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I am considering another mod for this unit. My Vline had a 24bit DAC, where as this unit has a 16bit, and to my ears it sounds as though it has much less range. I am looking at the Firefly Black USB DAC. This DAC "should" also alleviate any issues with ground noise and or popping.
This interest me as a audio geek. I actually have a V1 Dragonfly lying around. How do you plan on outputting the audio to the car audio? Aux cable to the aux port in the center console?

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca