IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 06:05 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
I would expect at least a -10c drop in temps. In response to the question above about the high CPU temps causing issues, my unit froze and rebooted on at least three of the first 5-6 drives I took with the unit. Since installing the heat sink and fan, I have not had any reboots.

I am considering another mod for this unit. My Vline had a 24bit DAC, where as this unit has a 16bit, and to my ears it sounds as though it has much less range. I am looking at the Firefly Black USB DAC. This DAC "should" also alleviate any issues with ground noise and or popping.
I’m considering cutting the back panel but I’ll wait until I can do some driving to get some temps back.

Since changing my settings, I haven’t had any crashing or rebooting issues.
Old 06-02-20, 08:53 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
This interest me as a audio geek. I actually have a V1 Dragonfly lying around. How do you plan on outputting the audio to the car audio? Aux cable to the aux port in the center console?
I had already spliced stereo mini plugs into the audio out cable of the screen to install a ground loop isolator. I plan to hook into the mini plug I installed in the harness and disconnect the side going to the screen. You could run the cable into the aux port of the center console, but I would still cut the screen's audio connection to avoid any noise.

Last edited by rcJten; 06-02-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 06:56 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For those of you who have the newer version screen, where do you hide the mic to leave a stock look but still perform well? Can you share any tip?

Old 06-02-20, 11:45 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by HKBruin
For those of you who have the newer version screen, where do you hide the mic to leave a stock look but still perform well? Can you share any tip?

There is a gap in the upper left area between the screen and dash where you can tuck the mic back there with it sticking out a little. It's perfect look and functionality wise.
Old 06-03-20, 01:57 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

Anyone purchased an extension USB cable for the center console? How do you run the cable inside the storage under the armrest? Do you simply drill a large hole? I am looking to see any smarter way to do it.
Old 06-03-20, 03:17 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Drove around today. Got some temperature readings.

When my unit was crashing due to me changing settings, temps were 119-130 degrees C.

When I changed back the settings my temps were high 90 degrees C.

After installing the fan, my temps were around mid 80s degrees C. Often with temps around 81-82 degrees C.

Old 06-03-20, 08:47 PM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
Drove around today. Got some temperature readings.

When my unit was crashing due to me changing settings, temps were 119-130 degrees C.

When I changed back the settings my temps were high 90 degrees C.

After installing the fan, my temps were around mid 80s degrees C. Often with temps around 81-82 degrees C.
I have been keeping an eye on my temps and it is always around 55c and got as high as 70c when I just entered the car and so far still haven't experienced any freezing so I think they can handle a bit of heat. Might be something else causing the freezes for some people
Old 06-03-20, 09:12 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by LFields
I have been keeping an eye on my temps and it is always around 55c and got as high as 70c when I just entered the car and so far still haven't experienced any freezing so I think they can handle a bit of heat. Might be something else causing the freezes for some people
I should add today was high 80s to low 90s degrees F
Old 06-04-20, 08:01 AM
LFields
Rookie

Originally Posted by tnilc
I should add today was high 80s to low 90s degrees F
I thought these screens would be able to handle some heat like the original one. If I start having heating issues that they can't fix with software I wont be happy. Fortunately it never really gets to them temps for more than a few days a year over here so shouldn't have any issues
Old 06-04-20, 12:31 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LFields
I thought these screens would be able to handle some heat like the original one. If I start having heating issues that they can't fix with software I wont be happy. Fortunately it never really gets to them temps for more than a few days a year over here so shouldn't have any issues
I never had issues in the Atlanta weather in the summer. It hit over 100 degrees often and my screen never struggled. It could be the newer screens are running hotter due to more processing power etc as I stated previously. Just my hypothesis.
Old 06-04-20, 12:37 PM
LFields
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flash5
I never had issues in the Atlanta weather in the summer. It hit over 100 degrees often and my screen never struggled. It could be the newer screens are running hotter due to more processing power etc as I stated previously. Just my hypothesis.
it could be that, but only afew people have encountered the heating issue so could be something they installed using alot of ram or a fault with the unit. Also the back of the units have alot of wiring so it is best to try tucking it all away so it isnt touching the back of the screen blocking the small holes. I taped the wires and tucked them to a side to stop it blocking the back and also to stop any rattles

I do a 60 mile daily commute to work. I have 3 apps running at once (Google maps, tom-tom speed camera app and spotify) without any issues with heating

Last edited by LFields; 06-04-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 02:37 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
The model for the RC350 seems to be the only units with temp issues. I believe the SOC on the IS unit is from a different manufacturer.

I have not been willing to spend the $20 to confirm this theory by consulting the TIS system wiring diagrams, but I have been wondering if there's any difference between the IS and RC stereo wiring harnesses? The touch pad integration is total garbage on the RC units, so if that's the only thing that wouldn't work using the new IS Chinese screen, then I wish I would have purchased it instead 😒 The can-bus communication is the same between models.
Old 06-04-20, 07:33 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcJten
The model for the RC350 seems to be the only units with temp issues. I believe the SOC on the IS unit is from a different manufacturer.

I have not been willing to spend the $20 to confirm this theory by consulting the TIS system wiring diagrams, but I have been wondering if there's any difference between the IS and RC stereo wiring harnesses? The touch pad integration is total garbage on the RC units, so if that's the only thing that wouldn't work using the new IS Chinese screen, then I wish I would have purchased it instead 😒 The can-bus communication is the same between models.
i have an RCF motherboard and wiring harness...it’s for sale if you want to experiment lol
Old 06-06-20, 12:28 PM
HKBruin
Rookie

I am working on the installation. Can someone please advise how to connect the wifi on the Android side? My Wieless Carplay is working via Bluetooth.
Old 06-07-20, 03:37 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hi folks

Has anyone noticed inferior image quality in this unit's OEM main menu compared to the factory unit?
I just got mine installed today and the OEM side and backup camera signal don't look that great.The android side is beautiful though.
​​

Last edited by Asbel29; 06-07-20 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca