IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 08:55 PM
robsta8886
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to share a fix for wired CarPlay disconnecting/crashing at random. I have a dongle that does both wireless and wired, and wanted to use the wired so I won't have to switch the audio to bluetooth constantly. Wireless CarPlay needs bluetooth to connect initially, I would then switch the audio to the car's bluetooth because the sound quality is subpar with Aux/AV. With wireless CarPlay, you will have to do this twice, since changing songs will make bluetooth switch back over to the CarPlay dongle. It usually would stick after the second time. I usually have my phone charging anyways so I wanted to use the wired CarPlay, that way I only need to change the bluetooth audio once. This worked, but the app would keep crashing on me randomly. What I found was the available power on the headunit's USB port is insufficient to run the CarPlay module and charge the iPhone.

To fix this, I bought this USB Hub, which is 12v:
Amazon Amazon
. I cut the power cord and threw out the power brick, splicing it into the harness via the switched ACC and ground. WiredCarPlay works great now!
Old 06-08-20, 12:40 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Asbel29
Has anyone noticed inferior image quality in this unit's OEM main menu compared to the factory unit?
I just got mine installed today and the OEM side and backup camera signal don't look that great.The android side is beautiful though.
​​
It makes sense if you think about it because the image is now being stretched. I’m assuming you had the stock oem small screen?
Old 06-08-20, 11:50 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

My thoughts on the unit purchased from NaviHua.

Having this unit with CarPlay really makes up for the otherwise crappy infotainment system. Once it is up and running, the unit feels OEM as I am able to control everything with my **** controller and steering wheel controls. Wireless CarPlay boots up pretty flawlessly most of the time and the screen's image quality is great. Below are some of things I don't like about the unit, which is in-line with a lot of other people's comments in the thread:
  • Slow boot-up time ~40 seconds for the actual unit, + ~20 seconds for wireless CarPlay to auto-start and detect my phone
  • Audio via AUX or A/V from the Android unit does not sound as full as from factory Bluetooth. You have to fiddle around to get the audio to play and stick over the factory Bluetooth (every time you start up, which gets annoying if you're doing several short trips). The unit's audio quality is probably fine for most people.
  • I have not found much utility with the stock Android interface, but that is really dependent on the user (e.g. other users using Sygic/OBD readers/non-phone maps)
  • Small gripe, the NaviHua unit doesn't display a picture of your car on the right side of the screen and shows an analog clock instead. If anyone knows how I could edit this, that would be helpful!
  • Another small gripe, when shifting to reverse, it takes an extra ~1.5 seconds for the screen to go to the backup camera.
  • Install and setup is fairly simple for people comfortable with removing panels and connecting cables, although the room to work with for routing cables is tight.
Overall, I am happy with the unit and to me, it has completed my car as a daily driver.
Old 06-09-20, 05:39 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
It makes sense if you think about it because the image is now being stretched. I’m assuming you had the stock oem small screen?
yes, but I think something is not right, When I start the car looks fine but after 10 mins the graphics look unstable like a lower resolution.
Old 06-09-20, 08:05 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

yes, but I think something is not right, When I start the car looks fine but after 10 mins the graphics look unstable like a lower resolution.
Got a picture of it?
Old 06-09-20, 11:47 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Hmmm not sure. As another member commented, post a picture of it and then we can see if it's similar to how ours look. I just remembered that 4x4shop sent me an update a long time ago that made it so that the oem side was split screen. Basically, the oem side is back to about the same size as the stock small screen. I'll take a pic and post it.
Old 06-10-20, 01:03 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tnilc
Got a picture of it?

ok , it looks worse in person

Old 06-10-20, 01:23 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

ok , it looks worse in person
Lol most screens look terrible when you’re THAT close up. I meant take a picture of the whole screen at around 3 feet or so from the screen.
Old 06-10-20, 01:46 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Lol most screens look terrible when you’re THAT close up. I meant take a picture of the whole screen at around 3 feet or so from the screen.
at that distance is how you only can
notice the issue in the picture.
Old 06-10-20, 01:54 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

at that distance is how you only can
notice the issue in the picture.
So from where you’re normally seated driving, does it look really bad or not? Because honestly, that’s all that matters.
Old 06-10-20, 02:11 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

So from where you’re normally seated driving, does it look really bad or not? Because honestly, that’s all that matters.
from the driving position looks worse than the picture. but only happens in the OEM menu ; the android menu and apps just look fine from any distance, I just want to know if it is normal this issue.
Old 06-10-20, 08:47 PM
tnilc
Instructor

from the driving position looks worse than the picture. but only happens in the OEM menu ; the android menu and apps just look fine from any distance, I just want to know if it is normal this issue.
I haven't put my face up close to the screen like that, so I can't tell ya.

From where I sit, I noticed that yes, it is a bit more stretched out and the color isn't as crisp as I like it to be but I'm rarely on that side of the screen anymore.
Old 06-10-20, 08:50 PM
tnilc
Instructor

I just realized, I have pictures from my OEM screen after I installed my unit. Here you go. I don't think it looks too bad.

https://i.imgur.com/My5t00N.jpg
Old 06-11-20, 10:38 AM
Bxtaskforc
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello!

How did you get vehicle information on the right side of screen?

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-20, 07:25 AM
txsaitang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a similar unit from another vendor called Mekedetech on Amazon. Did anyone else have issues with the volume and media controls on their steering wheel when you had your unit installed?

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca