IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 10:58 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorNey
After a week of ordering still no tracking number. Status "processing". Whatever that means.
If you ordered on Alibaba, there's a 10 day waiting period for the payment to clear before they ship.
Old 07-04-20, 05:38 AM
Bxtaskforc
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
If you ordered on Alibaba, there's a 10 day waiting period for the payment to clear before they ship.

They're right. I ordered mines through 4x4shop and it took 7 days for payment to process. It took 10 days from being picked up by DHL to my central FL.

Good Luck.
Old 07-04-20, 06:38 AM
Highfather
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to give an update on the function and possibly get some opinions on an issue i'm having.

After a period of 5 months during the winter of not using my box, aside from driving my car on the rare occasion and avoiding using the car play which is the foremost reason as to why i purchased the box in the first place, I updated the box to the latest version may 2020, and the auto kit, I can say that the box now no longer overheats, and is running great! for context, the box used to heat up after a 2h+ drive and began resetting itself until i let it cool down. Aside from that I discovered my microphone no longer works, Ray from 4x4 shop diagnosed that the microphone was the cause of my siri not activating. I don't use any other function aside from car play for the most part, but after testing as ray wanted me to he determined the mic was KIA. I didn't expect a replacement, as the conversation went silent after i inquired as to what i could do to alleviate this issue.

No problem on my part, this only means i could "upgrade" the mic. I'm not sure what the consequence of testing this out will be as I am not sure what kind of mic this unit can even drive. I foolishly purchased a 2.5mm jack mic on accident designed for use with a pioneer system. Obviously this didn't work and after struggling with amazon to locate my package for an adapter, I decided i will no longer wait and figured that because the unit is just an android tablet, I was going to buy a mic designed for use with mobile devices. I settled for an omni-directional mic and will see if this fixes the issue, The only downside of all this will be my extra mic + adapter(if i receive it) that will remain. I will keep you guys updated in another post after i receive my mic and adapter, I might as well test them both.

tldr: bought two mics, one was incompatible. also purchased an adapter for incoming mic, it got lost on the way. Looking for advice as to whether anyone else may have had similar issues regarding microphone not working. And have i assumed correctly that just about any mic will work on the tablet.
Old 07-07-20, 11:23 PM
cfaliao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsta8886
Just wanted to share a fix for wired CarPlay disconnecting/crashing at random. I have a dongle that does both wireless and wired, and wanted to use the wired so I won't have to switch the audio to bluetooth constantly. Wireless CarPlay needs bluetooth to connect initially, I would then switch the audio to the car's bluetooth because the sound quality is subpar with Aux/AV. With wireless CarPlay, you will have to do this twice, since changing songs will make bluetooth switch back over to the CarPlay dongle. It usually would stick after the second time. I usually have my phone charging anyways so I wanted to use the wired CarPlay, that way I only need to change the bluetooth audio once. This worked, but the app would keep crashing on me randomly. What I found was the available power on the headunit's USB port is insufficient to run the CarPlay module and charge the iPhone.

To fix this, I bought this USB Hub, which is 12v: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-7-Port-.../dp/B014ZQ07NE . I cut the power cord and threw out the power brick, splicing it into the harness via the switched ACC and ground. WiredCarPlay works great now!
Wait i'm having troubles using bluetooth when i have wired carplay on. It automatically goes to Aux/AV which, as you said, has a much inferior sound quality. Is there a way to run anroid auto (wired carplay) and switch audio to bluetooth for my spotify?
Old 07-07-20, 11:48 PM
cfaliao
Driver School Candidate

Is anybody's unit acting slowly? On average how long do your units take to startup? It seems so laggy my unit..
Old 07-08-20, 12:54 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cfaliao
Is anybody's unit acting slowly? On average how long do your units take to startup? It seems so laggy my unit..
About 40 seconds to boot up + 20 or so for CarPlay to connect and boot
Old 07-08-20, 01:23 AM
cp3o
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flash5
Oh I'm definitely enjoying my 10" touchscreen that runs Apple CarPlay flawlessly. You're missing out because you're afraid of installs (or you lack the knowledge in doing basic installs more likely).
hi do your callers on the other end hear there words repeating
when using car play
i have the Carlinkit black wireless dongle
I’m thinking it could be defective
I also get a static and interference when volume is up on android side
i to have the 10.25 android 8gb64gb android 9 8 core
Old 07-11-20, 07:19 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello everyone, I picked up the 4x4 unit and its such an amazing upgrade. I have some questions I am hoping someone knows the answers to.

Is there a way to have the unit auto connect to my phone hotspot? It only connects when I shut off the hot spot then turn it back on.

I noticed most people here still use the factory bluetooth to make calls since the call quality on the Android Phone app or Car Play is not the greatest. At least for me people have complained on the other end. My question is how can I default to the factory bluetooth for calls when I press the phone steering wheel button or pressing the phone app on the Android interface without manually going to the stock interface. I find myself switching back and forth to make calls and even answer a call and wondering if there is an easier solution?

Is it normal to have to switch media outputs to get sound for Car Play and also Bluetooth and Youtube on the Android side?

Does this screen have Lexus Enform? do we even need that with this unit?

Is it normal for the left speaker to shut off when there are GPS alerts or when you are searching for things on the map? at least it sounds like is shutting off

Does the control ****/wheel only work for some apps? I noticed it reacts differently in different apps. For example you cant use it to type an address on a map or exit Waze.

Is there any way to view XM radio from the Android side? its not really a big deal as I can see on my gauge cluster.

Sometimes the temp pops up on the display even though I have not adjusted anything and i have figured out how to disable it but is there a chance of a loose connection causing that in the first place?

Has anyone figured out how to get better sound quality out of the Android side? its so terrible now and I feel the stock side got slightly worse. I noticed when testing bluetooth audio on the Android side that is skips slightly also while songs are playing.

The built in GPS is looking for the signal all the time and Im wondering where you guys have placed the receiver? Im guessing that is why Waze and Google maps also acts up sometimes.

Thanks everyone and I apologize if these items have been covered already.

Old 07-11-20, 07:23 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

double post
Old 07-11-20, 07:35 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by robsta8886
Thanks for the tip pngo! Using this led me to a way where this automation would work for both wireless and wired CarPlay modes. Instead of using the "My Shortcuts" tab, go to "Automation" and add a "Personal Automation". Set "When" to "When Carplay Connects" and Do to "Set Playback Destination". So anytime CarPlay connects, regardless of the method, it will change the AirPlay destination to the "Lexus IS" bluetooth. Unselect the last option "ask before running" so it runs without user intervention.

thanks, I need to do this as it solves one of my issues!
Old 07-12-20, 09:44 PM
VictorNey
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a way to re-arrange the icons on the android app section?
Old 07-12-20, 10:13 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorNey
Is there a way to re-arrange the icons on the android app section?
Unfortunately no. You will need to install a launcher and setup your own UI if you wish to arrange icons as you want.
Old 07-12-20, 11:10 PM
VictorNey
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how about deleting pre installed apps...such as abode acrobat. Are they vital to the OS?
Old 07-14-20, 04:37 PM
monkpenn
Driver School Candidate

Default Split Screen and "Split Audio'

Can I simultaneously listen to factory Sirius radio AND see + hear navigation directions from Google Maps? Same question: for Waze?
OR is it the case that when you're running Android apps (e.g., Waze, YouTube) that they take over the whole screen and audio?

I assume (hope!) that I'll buy the latest version offered by 4x4 for my RX450h with no factory NAVI (**** control): the Android 9.0, 4GB RAM /64GB Storage, 1920/720 (yes, I've read the thread and know to be skeptical of the version and screen resolution

Thanks.

Old 07-14-20, 04:50 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by monkpenn
Can I simultaneously listen to factory Sirius radio AND see + hear navigation directions from Google Maps? Same question: for Waze?
OR is it the case that when you're running Android apps (e.g., Waze, YouTube) that they take over the whole screen and audio?

I assume (hope!) that I'll buy the latest version offered by 4x4 for my RX450h with no factory NAVI (**** control): the Android 9.0, 4GB RAM /64GB Storage, 1920/720 (yes, I've read the thread and know to be skeptical of the version and screen resolution

Thanks.
Only factory CarPlay system can do this.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca