IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 08:22 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
Probably, I've seen the videos but I still don't trust myself to do it LOL.
Hit me up when you're ready! I can help install.
Old 08-11-20, 01:08 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

does anyone have the latest update for the older model? Ray sent me a file but its only 81KB which doesn't seem right for a firmware update.......
Old 08-11-20, 02:26 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Does joystick work in CarPlay for 4x4 unit or everyone has **** version?

Last edited by dojoman; 08-11-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 05:42 PM
cfaliao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i need major help,

I had some problems with my 4x4shop 10.25 screen with restarting during heat and some apps keep closing down. I decided to do factory reset hoping it would be like new straight out of the box.

Now i am experiencing even more problems as i believe the software went back to an older version or something has happened and now the system restarts even when it isn't overheating whenever i am running waze or google maps. I have reached out to 4x4 support and they have told me to update my Software, CAN, and MCU via usb stick.

I have followed their instructions diligently, but it seems the Unit is not detecting whatever file they told me to download. I have converted it to FAT32 already. I know the USB stick works and that the USB port works since it is able to charge my phone when i plug my charging cable in.

I think the support is somehow lacking and not really guiding me properly as I've wasted countless of emails back and forth only for them to give redundant answers like changing the allocation size file EXACTLY to 16k and making sure it is FAT32.. Ofc i've followed everything they've said.

I am now hoping someone here has more knowledge than them on why the unit isn't reading their files allowing me to upgrade my unit's Software, MCU, and CAN version.

Thanks yall,

Have a good day

EDIT1: Also for more info, during the factory reset, i lost Autokit and can no longer connect to android auto via my dongle.

Last edited by cfaliao; 08-11-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 11:28 PM
othman
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I am planning to have 4x4 unit, and I have some queries about it.
- dose the screen support mirroring (iPhone).
- can I connect the screen to the internet through WiFi?
Thank you
Old 08-12-20, 06:46 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
Hit me up when you're ready! I can help install.
I think I'm gonna hold off on this unit. As much as I want the bigger screen and Carplay, reliability is what I want the most. I also am not a fan of the 40+ second boot time. Since this thing is an android tablet, it's gonna be like a phone. Sure it will work now, or even next year, or two years. But I'm sure by year 3-5 it's gonna crap out on me or lag on me a lot with firmware updates... I'm already seeing some people have issues with this unit. I just don't want to get this unit now, then need a new one in 3-5 years.
Old 08-13-20, 10:04 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I think I'm gonna hold off on this unit. As much as I want the bigger screen and Carplay, reliability is what I want the most. I also am not a fan of the 40+ second boot time. Since this thing is an android tablet, it's gonna be like a phone. Sure it will work now, or even next year, or two years. But I'm sure by year 3-5 it's gonna crap out on me or lag on me a lot with firmware updates... I'm already seeing some people have issues with this unit. I just don't want to get this unit now, then need a new one in 3-5 years.
I’ve had this unit (the first unit they put out) for 2 years now and I’ve had 0 issues after the first few bugs were ironed out. Just my experience though.
Old 08-13-20, 10:38 AM
350Fsprt
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default usb extension area

Okay so I just ordered the 4x4 screen, and have some questions. I've searched the forum but this thread is crazy long and couldn't find my answer.

Do most people get the wireless dongle? The guy I spoke with at 4x4 recommended the wired version, with the extension, so i went with that. But will I be able to feed it through the armrest area(either on the side, or in the compartment? As I don't wanna have to plug and leave my phone in the glove box.

Everything else seems pretty plug and play, let me know!

Thanks guys!

Old 08-13-20, 11:05 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Delete .......

Last edited by dojoman; 08-13-20 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 12:49 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
does anyone have the latest update for the older model? Ray sent me a file but its only 81KB which doesn't seem right for a firmware update.......
I have the OG screen and I'm updated to 7.1 which I did about a year ago...

The last firmware I have is C50_A22LXS_L50LXS0126(190105).wy9 at about 84kb, I also have C50_A22LXS_L50LXS0133(190404).wy9 at 81kb which might have been the one that messed up my backup camera picture hence the quick update to 190105 (both I believe were the fix for the unit not shutting down completely when the car was turned off which only affected joystick and not **** versions of the car). Both these files are from Nov 2019. But yes that sounds like the right size, can you share if you have a newer version?

Last edited by MD3; 08-14-20 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-14-20, 09:59 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Fsprt
Okay so I just ordered the 4x4 screen, and have some questions. I've searched the forum but this thread is crazy long and couldn't find my answer.

Do most people get the wireless dongle? The guy I spoke with at 4x4 recommended the wired version, with the extension, so i went with that. But will I be able to feed it through the armrest area(either on the side, or in the compartment? As I don't wanna have to plug and leave my phone in the glove box.

Thanks guys!
I don't have a 4x4 unit specifically, but it's probably very similar if not from the same source. I only use the wireless dongle for and it works well. I admit there are some times when my Bluetooth acts funky and it fails to connect, but it is easy to turn Bluetooth on my iPhone off/on to reset it. I did notice a slight lag previously when using maps + music, which I am guessing may be a wireless bandwidth issue, but I have not noticed that problem after my first week or so of use.

Overall, I would recommend the wireless dongle so you don't have to fidget with a cord every time.
Old 08-14-20, 07:05 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Same as Flash5, I've had the unit for almost 2 years without issue. The way I see it you can have a bomb screen with wireless carplay/AA and television apps, etc. and perhaps buy a newer version IF it craps out in 4 years, or stick with the same POS tiny screen Lexus system. To each their own though, I can say it was worth it even it this unit dies in another year or two I'll just buy an updated version.

Last edited by MD3; 08-14-20 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (08-14-20)
Old 08-14-20, 07:31 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 350Fsprt

Thanks guys!
I installed my unit before the wireless dongle came out. I have the extended USB cord run through the center console, there is a small square in the bottom you can pop open and run in through and even close it so the USB cord sticks out without damaging the square piece. I have my powered USB supply in my center console as well which is generally needed to power the wireless dongle.
Old 08-15-20, 12:56 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

But I also haven't driven very much lol

Last edited by tnilc; 08-22-20 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-16-20, 12:22 AM
cfaliao
Driver School Candidate

Anybody having problems with system resetting when using Waze or Google maps especially when you have are following an indicated route?

I used to use iGo navigation which came built-in with the 4x4shop screen but due to the restart i lost access to this app.

anyone know a way to replace this with a similar APK or know any good offlime maps not requiring data?

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca