is there anyone bought this unit to help
thanks
Old 08-16-20, 12:34 AM
othman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by othman
Hi,
I am planning to have 4x4 unit, and I have some queries about it.
- dose the screen support mirroring (iPhone).
- can I connect the screen to the internet through WiFi?
Thank you
is there anyone bought this unit to help
thanks
Old 08-16-20, 06:10 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Same as Flash5, I've had the unit for almost 2 years without issue. The way I see it you can have a bomb screen with wireless carplay/AA and television apps, etc. and perhaps buy a newer version IF it craps out in 4 years, or stick with the same POS tiny screen Lexus system. To each their own though, I can say it was worth it even it this unit dies in another year or two I'll just buy an updated version.
I mean if I have to spend $700 now, then $700 again, that's $1400 already. Not to mention time and $ it may cost to install. If they release a newer version of this in the future and they features, specs, or boot-up time is better I may reconsider.
Old 08-16-20, 06:14 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
I mean if I have to spend $700 now, then $700 again, that's $1400 already. Not to mention time and $ it may cost to install. If they release a newer version of this in the future and they features, specs, or boot-up time is better I may reconsider.
Where are you getting $1400 from? The new version should last you at least 4 years. Also you dont have to use the android features at all and just enjoy the larger screen at a bare minimum. it's MUCH cheaper than going the OEM Route which is several grand to get the larger OEM Screen...

So when you have it set to the OEM side of the system, you dont have to worry about boot up times. And even if it is on the android side it's not that big of a deal. for me I have my BT audio going thru the lexus head unit which is much better sound quality anyway and less fiddling around in android.... up to u, to each his own i guess.
Old 08-16-20, 07:49 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Not sure what other features you'd want from this unit. I use it 99.9999% of the time for CarPlay and it works great. If you spend a lot of idle time in your car and want to play games or something, then I could see that.

Specs are top-notch for a infotainment unit, IMO.

In regards to boot-up time, it does suck but considering this is pretty much a tablet, I'm not sure how much more gain we can expect to get out of it. You wouldn't expect your iPhone/iPad boot up instantaneously from being completely off.
Old 08-17-20, 11:19 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just need to chime in as I was also an early adopter of the 4x4 unit. Actually I'd say we were more beta testers as we helped correct a few little bugs with the unit. I worked directly with the programming engineer in China.

I just sold my IS but my unit has been going strong for almost 2 years. (Purchased Dec 2018)
Used it primarily for CarPlay and to stream movies while driving, for the passengers of course. Zero issues. Even if you just use it for the upgraded screen size it's a total win.

Left the unit on the Lexus side most of the time so I didn't find boot up a big issue. But yes, it takes a good 60 secs to boot the Android side.
I still have the most current MCU files which corrected the battery drain issue and back up camera image for me and a few other members. Now just for reference my unit was for a 2016 IS350 AWD with jog style control. Not sure if these files are usable with different configurations.

I also updated my unit to Android 7.1 with an update file from the engineer in China.
Anyways, if you're on the fence about it just do it already. Even though it sucked the first few months of ownership figuring out the little bugs, I was still pretty satisfied with the unit and would do it again.
Old 08-19-20, 06:16 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

How did you guys managed to bring the connectors up to the screen from back of radio? There’s no room at all to even slip the connector through and they’re not small connectors. I think it was easy for some people without factory navigation but my car has Nav and there’s already big factory harness that took away lots of space behind radio.
Old 08-19-20, 06:21 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by pngo
Not sure what other features you'd want from this unit. I use it 99.9999% of the time for CarPlay and it works great. If you spend a lot of idle time in your car and want to play games or something, then I could see that.

Specs are top-notch for a infotainment unit, IMO.

In regards to boot-up time, it does suck but considering this is pretty much a tablet, I'm not sure how much more gain we can expect to get out of it. You wouldn't expect your iPhone/iPad boot up instantaneously from being completely off.
You make a great point actually. Even my iPhone 11 needs like 20 secs to boot up.
Old 08-19-20, 06:21 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by JWIS350
Just need to chime in as I was also an early adopter of the 4x4 unit. Actually I'd say we were more beta testers as we helped correct a few little bugs with the unit. I worked directly with the programming engineer in China.

I just sold my IS but my unit has been going strong for almost 2 years. (Purchased Dec 2018)
Used it primarily for CarPlay and to stream movies while driving, for the passengers of course. Zero issues. Even if you just use it for the upgraded screen size it's a total win.

Left the unit on the Lexus side most of the time so I didn't find boot up a big issue. But yes, it takes a good 60 secs to boot the Android side.
I still have the most current MCU files which corrected the battery drain issue and back up camera image for me and a few other members. Now just for reference my unit was for a 2016 IS350 AWD with jog style control. Not sure if these files are usable with different configurations.

I also updated my unit to Android 7.1 with an update file from the engineer in China.
Anyways, if you're on the fence about it just do it already. Even though it sucked the first few months of ownership figuring out the little bugs, I was still pretty satisfied with the unit and would do it again.
So if I keep it on the Lexus side of things, I still have to wait for the 60 sec boot time correct? Say I turn on the car and want to connect bluetooth or play music over USB port via Lexus not carplay.
Old 08-19-20, 06:39 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

So if I keep it on the Lexus side of things, I still have to wait for the 60 sec boot time correct? Say I turn on the car and want to connect bluetooth or play music over USB port via Lexus not carplay.
Boot up time for factory side is the same as just as before at least that’s what I observed, except you’re just seeing boot up through bigger screen.
Old 08-19-20, 06:42 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

I am pretty sure Lexus side boots up instantaneously, but I could be wrong (I am always on Android side, don’t need to deal with poor Lexus HMI).

I can say for sure you can start playing music through Bluetooth/USB as soon as car starts, no need to wait for boot up, assuming your car playback device is set appropriately to Bluetooth/USB and not radio/SAT/AUX/AV. My music always starts up as soon as the car is turned on while the Android screen is booting up
Old 08-19-20, 07:04 PM
350Fsprt
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default can you read texts in carplay

I successfully installed my unit today on my own! and it is definitely much easier than i thought, so far everything is working good.

The only thing i am trying to figure out is, is there a way to read texts on car play? any time i click a convo, siri comes up to read it out.

Would recommend though 100%%
Old 08-19-20, 07:30 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350Fsprt
I successfully installed my unit today on my own! and it is definitely much easier than i thought, so far everything is working good.

The only thing i am trying to figure out is, is there a way to read texts on car play? any time i click a convo, siri comes up to read it out.

Would recommend though 100%%
How did bring out wire from radio to the screen? I took out glove box there’s no room back there you have factory Nav? Someone suggested taking out gauge cluster side.

I don’t think there is a way to read iMessage Siri always reads it out just how it works.
Old 08-19-20, 11:55 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
How did bring out wire from radio to the screen? I took out glove box there’s no room back there you have factory Nav? Someone suggested taking out gauge cluster side.
It's a tight fit but you can fit cable. Got mine up behind radio on right side
Old 08-20-20, 07:42 AM
350Fsprt
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you watch beat sonics video, it shows you a great way.

I took out the glove box, and went along the right side.

Also, does anyone know how to get rid of the "open door" thing that pops up on the screen? I can't find it in the settings.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca