IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 05:58 AM
HKBruin
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cfaliao
I did that and that’s where the problem is, I can’t find autokit on my Bluetooth or even see it appear on my CarPlay on my iPhone. It’s not detecting it.
Maybe you need to reset the wireless dongle? Turn off power. Unplug it from the USB cable. Turn on power. Plug the dongle back to the unit.........
Old 02-17-21, 12:28 PM
mitnits
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
There are several versions of the unit on the market. Some have a small external speaker - and if you choose Waze as your default navigation app - you'll hear navigation notifications while listening to OEM Radio.
So it would be the same with the bluetooth phone (if I can pair to the HU and not to the OEM) - right? The other side of the conversation would come out of the speaker attached to the HU (a bit like phone speaker vs. phone line out) ?

Just to confirm - the unit does not come with a radio (must use OEM?) - right? Also - what I want to listen to, say, Spotify on HU? I am guessing it will play via AUX, but how hard is it to switch the OEM to AUX input from radio (surely can't be automatic)

Overall sounds like usability nightmare (or, rather, the only reasonable use of this system is for navigation)

Thanks!
Old 02-18-21, 06:29 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mitnits
So it would be the same with the bluetooth phone (if I can pair to the HU and not to the OEM) - right? The other side of the conversation would come out of the speaker attached to the HU (a bit like phone speaker vs. phone line out) ?

Just to confirm - the unit does not come with a radio (must use OEM?) - right? Also - what I want to listen to, say, Spotify on HU? I am guessing it will play via AUX, but how hard is it to switch the OEM to AUX input from radio (surely can't be automatic)

Overall sounds like usability nightmare (or, rather, the only reasonable use of this system is for navigation)

Thanks!
Probably best to pair your phone to car’s Bluetooth so you can hear conversations through factory speakers. I don’t think Android speakers are loud enough it’s really small. I only wish Android system can routed all audio output to Bluetooth. music quality is much better than AUX I get sound skipping through aux. Usability is a big problem with aftermarket system like this if you want to listen to factory radio at the same time and want to hear map audio.
Old 02-19-21, 10:35 AM
sebaw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mitnits

Thanks!
Phone - paired with OEM system - phone calls only.
HU - paired with OEM system - music channel. I don't use AUX. Better sound quality and additional information (current song etc)
Unfortunately, the screen does not switch to the OEM screen when making a call. I have to switch manually (button above touchpad).
I do not listen to OEM radio. Spotify, Waze and Google Maps. SIM card installed - I don't need to share Wi-Fi.
Old 02-21-21, 11:27 PM
Fazed
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone tried using a USB DAC for the audio issue? I was thinking of buying a AudioQuest Dragonfly USB DAC, and use it to plug into the android head unit USB port, and then an AUX to AUX cable into the car's AUX port.

Would the android unit pick up the DAC from the USB port and recognize and route audio?

Last edited by Fazed; 02-22-21 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 01:42 AM
sebaw
Driver

Originally Posted by Fazed
Has anyone tried using a USB DAC for the audio issue? I was thinking of buying a AudioQuest Dragonfly USB DAC, and use it to plug into the android head unit USB port, and then an AUX to AUX cable into the car's AUX port.

Would the android unit pick up the DAC from the USB port and recognize and route audio?
Good question. I was thinking about Cyrus SoundKey. I only read that it worked for some (I think it was BMW) 10.25 screen and Android 8.1.
Lexus Android 7.1 - and it may not work.
Old 02-23-21, 09:12 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I tried and it does not work. The manufacturer has completely disabled USB host mode on these units. The only way to get this to work would be to obtain root and install a custom ROM with USB host mode enabled, but then you would lose all can bus functionality (not worth it).
Old 02-23-21, 10:45 AM
Fazed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcJten
I tried and it does not work. The manufacturer has completely disabled USB host mode on these units. The only way to get this to work would be to obtain root and install a custom ROM with USB host mode enabled, but then you would lose all can bus functionality (not worth it).
damn, my order from amazon has just shipped. i’m running 9.0 though. I might as well try it, and if it doesn’t work - I’ll return it.

i will report back once i try this.
Old 02-23-21, 11:43 AM
sebaw
Driver

Originally Posted by Fazed
damn, my order from amazon has just shipped. i’m running 9.0 though. I might as well try it, and if it doesn’t work - I’ll return it.

i will report back once i try this.
They sell as Android 9 and 10. But you probably have Android 7.1 installed. You can check the version on CPU Z or similar apps.
Old 02-23-21, 06:51 PM
Fazed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sebaw
They sell as Android 9 and 10. But you probably have Android 7.1 installed. You can check the version on CPU Z or similar apps.
Just checked using CPU-Z. You're correct, mines running Android 7.1.

I've downloaded USB OTG checker to see if I have USB host mode enabled and it looks like I do. Will install the DAC either Friday or Saturday.

Last edited by Fazed; 02-23-21 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-07-21, 06:05 AM
sebaw
Driver

Someone tested the latest version: 8GB RAM and 128GB ROM?
I wonder what the boot time is and the Android (real) version.
Old 03-15-21, 08:42 PM
Sunghera79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carsoll

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Anyone here install the Amazon version sold by CARSOLL, and find out what version/specs it is?
just ordered one taking the plunge.
The following users liked this post:
lexuscanuk (03-16-21)
Old 03-16-21, 08:29 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am still reading up on this. I want to buy it, still on the fence..... but that 1,000 cdn price tag not sure if its worth it for ME for all the inconveniences. Now, what it would be cool tho and it would solve the joystick interface thing is if we could install the android unit version design from the NX that aliexpress vendors are selling. It would make our cars look like the 2021 IS interior plus then it would be close enough to reach with our hands.
s80heb (03-29-21)
Old 03-16-21, 09:06 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunghera79
just ordered one taking the plunge.
Do you happen to have Amazon link for this item?

Edit: NVM found it.

Last edited by dojoman; 03-16-21 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 04:04 AM
s80heb
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Quick observations from using it a few minutes - will update this once I figure out where tweaks are located and where things are: updated comments after spending about 3 hours total:

- Lexus Enform is missing: I can’t seem to find the Enform any more. I can get the sound menu to display, but there’s no menu on the Home Page to take me to Enform. Anyone know how? Update: In “FM” setting.

- When Carplay works, it looks and runs fantastic. However, I can’t seem to get audio to play all the time. Carplay runs but no audio comes out. I’m sure it can be fixed - just not sure what’s causing it. Update: Carplay is working, but I think because I am running wireless Carplay, there were conflicts with multiple BT and WiFi connections. I had to disconnect the Android and Lexus connections and only connect to wireless Carplay unit.

- Wireless Carplay dongle: I can’t get the wireless carplay to work so am running it hardwired. The instructions in the box were not correct. Instructions were actually on the outside of the box - needed to download the app via QR. Seller said I only need to connect via BT to get wireless carplay. I thought But I needed to connect to the dongle’s WiFi hotspot. Update: this is great when it auto-connects. But it’s inconsistent. Sometimes it starts fine, other times I have to go into the phone’s WiFi or BT setting to choose the dongle. It’s a bit annoying.

- MPH and F temperature I think these are possibly fake. Although the unit names change, the actual numbers still seem to be in KM/C. Also, the temp display on the side doesn’t really work well. You can’t touch it to change anything and the temp doesn’t display. Will check more. Update: Okay these are mostly real. But the temp numbers don’t work - only displays Hi/Lo. Also, when I switch to the OEM Lexus menu, the side menu appears in Metric even though I have Standard selected.

- Sound: I hear a minor whining noise (interference) if I’m idling since it’s quieter. I can’t find a balance/fader setting. Not sure if the audio is good tbh. It seems if it’s running hardwired, quality is bad with some static. Using BT it seems good. Update: Fixed the whining noise by adjusting the screen brightness.

- Main Menu / Joystick is super sensitive and moves too fast. Difficult to pick the icons as it skips over everything. Hoping there’s a setting that can be adjusted. Update: When connected to Carplay, the Home and Menu buttons allow you to cycle the Carplay screens between Nav, Audio and “combined” modes. This is helpful.

- Reverse camera is fuzzy: only checked at night, but the resolution is a bit fuzzy - it’s no where near as sharp as the original screen (which I thought was pretty good). I guess the new hires screen doesn’t work well with the lo-res camera. it seems to support bumper sensors and 360 cameras as the view shows the car with these, but since I have an F-Sport and in the US, My car isn’t equipped with those features. There are a few Reverse Camera settings, but I don’t see a setting to adjust the screen size. will see how daytime looks and also try to find a setting.

- Hardware missing bracket mounting point: I am not sure if mine is “defective” as the part where you screw in the bracket doesn’t exist. I am in comms with the seller about this. For now the screen isn’t locked in. I think an option is for me to take the yellow snap-in brackets from the OEM screen and add it to the new one. Update: Seller insisted the bracket fits but it’s impossible. Yellow clips work to hold it, but due to how they clip into the OEM screen, removing them required two screwdrivers to leverage and pry. Once removed they snapped in easily to the new unit and hold the screen to the dash.

- Door Open sensor pops up anywhere: If you open any door, an overhead image of a car pops up right on top of the android menus. It’s not even in a box - rather it’s a shape of a car placed right on top of the icons. It’s a bit weird and shows it’s not polished. Update: Fixed from a hint from Droth: setting for doors is in settings, system, factory pattern (password is 666666). When in these settings swipe from bottom left corner to get back, home buttons etc

Overall, I do love the Carplay functionality and the massive size of the screen. It makes the car interior really pop and modernizes it.

But there are bugs - hopefully I can get them ironed out soon. Maybe I need a new apk or something.

More Observations (1/2/20)

Boot-up Time: This is a bit long. 30-60 seconds I think. Add this with the Carplay connection (“trying to connect”) and it could be a long time before it’s up and running. Strangely when I first plugged in to test it, the boot up was instant. It didn’t go thru the fancy animated hi-res “Lexus” logo sequence. It’s bearable but be forewarned it’s slow.

Phone calls: I need to play with this more, but this doesn’t work well for me. The steering wheel controls don’t work and the I can’t hear the caller sometimes. Initially the dual connections with OEM and Carplay were causing it to dial out via both Android and Carplay. I could see both on the screen. I disconnected the Android side and it seems to be okay if I dial via the Carplay touchscreen. However I can’t get the steering wheel controls to work properly.

Climate Controls: when connected to Carplay, adjusting climate controls doesn’t pop up on the screen. I think this works when I’m Android, but I never use it for that - I’m purely Carplay.

Siri: Doesn’t work for me. Anyone know how to get it to work and/or call someone? I hold down the answer button on the steering wheel and it makes the Siri sound but seems confused as it’s also connected via OEM. I removed OEM but it still doesn’t work.

Summary: I still love the Carplay function even with these quirks. The biggest issues now are the wireless auto connect and the phone call/Siri functionality. The large HD screen still puts a smile on my face and the Nav/Audio Carplay functionality works fantastic (need to figure out phone) - overall, it’s worth the cost IMO.
MPH and F temperatureI think these are possibly fake. Although the unit names change, the actual numbers still seem to be in KM/C

did they send you a update? They sent me updates which doesn't work
lexuscanuk (03-29-21)

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca