IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 07:12 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Yes, I received mine last week already installed it great system everything works. It's a hassle dealing with seller if you need something fix, I have been lucky with responses. They actually sent me wrong plastic piece that covers the screen mount. They're sending me correct one let's see if I actually get it.
I'm glad you managed to have decent communication with the seller. I'm still unsure about moving forward just yet, especially since the price went up.

Originally Posted by InveredMP
My unit shows Android 10.

Got the unit installed. For the most part it works well, it does get warm though. My info shows in MPH so I was able to change from KPH

I cannot get audio to work with CarPlay, no matter if on AUX or BT. Audio works just fine on the normal Lexus menu. Any insight there?
Potential overheating is my biggest concern with the 4x4 unit. Besides the all-in-one design, I don't have a garage and my car only gets shade in the mornings at work. Otherwise it's in the sun most of the time.
Old 08-12-21, 07:15 AM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
Maybe this will be a temporary solution (found on BMW forum).
----------------
On you vehicle, connect the OEM Bluetooth and what you do is after you connect to CarPlay, switch the sound on your phone to OEM Bluetooth.
But only do this after you’ve connected to CarPlay for the Android BT won’t be needed at that time. If you do it before you connect to CarPlay, you won’t connect to CarPlay.

Makes sense? That’s what I do with my iPhone, and all my sound is via OEM. But you won’t hear anything coming from Android through your speakers (nav, warnings, sound).

So.. your phone should connect two both pretty much at the same time,
It’ll drop your Android BT connection once you enter CarPlay.
At that point...
-Make sure you have USB or OEM BT selected for audio in the vehicle (vehicle OEM, not Android)
And select iPhone audio for OEM sound, not ANDROID... look at the pictures..
-Force press icon circled in red on iPhone (after you swipe those setting down)
-select the OEM bluetooth (mine not displayed because I’m at my home. You should see both Android and Car BTs there)
Didn’t work.
Old 08-12-21, 07:16 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer00J
Potential overheating is my biggest concern with the 4x4 unit. Besides the all-in-one design, I don't have a garage and my car only gets shade in the mornings at work. Otherwise it's in the sun most of the time.
While I agree that a separate control box like the lexion is better for heat, I can say that my 2nd gen 4x4 unit sits in Texas 100 degree weather and does not overheat. I know the 1st gen had more issues with overheating than the newer gens do.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
Jazzrock (08-12-21), Racer00J (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 07:18 AM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whoismiked
While I agree that a separate control box like the lexion is better for heat, I can say that my 2nd gen 4x4 unit sits in Texas 100 degree weather and does not overheat. I know the 1st gen had more issues with overheating than the newer gens do.
Are you using CarPlay? I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get audio to play
Old 08-12-21, 07:20 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Didn’t work.
Contact 4x4 support, they are awesome and super helpful with their support. I'm sure they could get your issue worked out asap

I can't give any advice on this issue personally as I, by choice, run all my music through the OEM BT or usb drives, I use my screen, and carplay for everything except music. I honestly never even tried out music through the android unit

But I'm sure there is some settings that need to be tweaked to solve your issue, I just have no experience with that part

Last edited by whoismiked; 08-12-21 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-12-21, 08:17 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Are you using CarPlay? I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get audio to play
I had the same issue with OG 4x4. I was told to jump a wire shown here. Is your harness connects to the screen same one? I don’t suggest you do it but send it to 4X4 guys to see if this is something you need to do. My audio works after shorting these two pins but I just use electronic breadboard pins to short them.

Post#500 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca - Page 34 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Last edited by dojoman; 08-12-21 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-12-21, 12:33 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

@InveredMP Hey, is there any chance you took a picture of the back of the 3rd gen 4x4 unit before you installed it?

One thing I am curious about, and seeing the back may answer the question for me, is if I were to purchase the 3rd gen unit, if the connections would be the same and I could just swap my 2nd gen out and not have to uninstall and reinstall the whole wiring harness.
Old 08-12-21, 03:20 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

@InveredMP Hey, is there any chance you took a picture of the back of the 3rd gen 4x4 unit before you installed it?

One thing I am curious about, and seeing the back may answer the question for me, is if I were to purchase the 3rd gen unit, if the connections would be the same and I could just swap my 2nd gen out and not have to uninstall and reinstall the whole wiring harness.
That would be an easy upgrade if the harness are the same quick swap takes 2 min.
Old 08-12-21, 03:38 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

I did not unfortunately.
Old 08-12-21, 03:42 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dojoman
I had the same issue with OG 4x4. I was told to jump a wire shown here. Is your harness connects to the screen same one? I don’t suggest you do it but send it to 4X4 guys to see if this is something you need to do. My audio works after shorting these two pins but I just use electronic breadboard pins to short them.

Post#500 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca - Page 34 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

I don't remember my harness looking like that but I will double check.

Honestly I have had terrible luck with these BS units. I have emailed with tech support all day today, and basically they wanted a video of it, to which there is no point as audio just simply doesn't come out on the android system, but works perfectly on the Lexus system. No setup guides, no troubleshooting, no help. Much more responsive than Lexion but still not very helpful.

I assume this is just a settings issue, when I try to play music on the android setup, it says bluetooth is disconnected. It shows its connected on my phone. On CarPlay, I can play something and the music or podcast plays, but simply has no audio.
Old 08-12-21, 03:57 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

I don't remember my harness looking like that but I will double check.

Honestly I have had terrible luck with these BS units. I have emailed with tech support all day today, and basically they wanted a video of it, to which there is no point as audio just simply doesn't come out on the android system, but works perfectly on the Lexus system. No setup guides, no troubleshooting, no help. Much more responsive than Lexion but still not very helpful.

I assume this is just a settings issue, when I try to play music on the android setup, it says bluetooth is disconnected. It shows its connected on my phone. On CarPlay, I can play something and the music or podcast plays, but simply has no audio.
While I understand that a video of an audio issue seems silly, and is, but that is always their first reply to every tech support email, I got used to sending a video and/or pictures with my first email every time I've contacted them. They will get you sorted out though, I'm sure of it
Old 08-12-21, 04:13 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

While I understand that a video of an audio issue seems silly, and is, but that is always their first reply to every tech support email, I got used to sending a video and/or pictures with my first email every time I've contacted them. They will get you sorted out though, I'm sure of it
I think this has to do with my phone not connecting to android bluetooth. How do you connect bluetooth? I don't see anything about bluetooth under settings.
Old 08-12-21, 04:26 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

I think this has to do with my phone not connecting to android bluetooth. How do you connect bluetooth? I don't see anything about bluetooth under settings.
Someone else may be better to answer this than me as I purposely have never connected my phone to the android unit as I prefer all my audio to go through the Lexus Bluetooth and control my audio via my mounted phone or steering wheel controls. I use my Android screen for everything except audio. I do know it will work the way you want though as many people use theirs just like you are trying to do.

But if I remember right from reading things way earlier in this thread, the easiest way to connect your phone to the android unit via Bluetooth is in the Phone app that comes preloaded on the unit, the one you would use to setup handsfree calling, hope that makes sense, if not I can go out to my garage and find it on mine and post a pic of what I mean if needed

Last edited by whoismiked; 08-12-21 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 04:38 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

How do you connect bluetooth? I don't see anything about bluetooth under settings.
Here I decied to just go take some pics for you, this is how you connect your phone via bluetooth, it's in the phone app, rather than the settings

Old 08-12-21, 04:44 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

You don’t need to connect to Android unit with BT. If you use CarPlay audio is routed through WiFi wirelessly, if that’s how you use CarPlay. The Bluetooth connected you see is Lexus radio connected to your phone. But the first time you launched CarPlay the app should ask you to connect to CarPlay BT but this is just initial handshake the rest of connection is WiFi. You can verify this by going to WiFi on your phone while you’re connected to CarPlay you will see something is connected to your phone.

It’s odd that your audio through Lexus BT doesn’t work did you double check playback destination is correct on iPhone? Let me take a few pics of my setup.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (08-12-21)

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca