IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 04:48 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Here I decied to just go take some pics for you, this is how you connect your phone via bluetooth, it's in the phone app, rather than the settings

I think you only need to connect to Android BT only if you plan to make phone dialer from Android OS, for CarPlay it isn’t needed.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 04:51 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I think you only need to connect to Android BT only if you plan to make phone dialer from Android OS, for CarPlay it isn’t needed.
Right on, I guess that makes sense, as I mentioned I am not the best person to answer this particular issue as I have never used my android unit for audio.

I use carplay for navigation and some other apps, but have always just preferred my audio run through either Lexus BT, or music I have on USB drives (connected to my center console usb ports, not the android usb port), and control everything with the steering wheel controls

Maybe I'm weird, but I have always preferred it this way lol
Old 08-12-21, 05:01 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 105 Posts

This is so confusing. I can’t get it to play normally. A couple of times I have selected Bluetooth in the Lexus screen, gone to CarPlay and it continues to play. But on AUX, I cannot get it to play at all. It plays but with no audio rather. WiFi is seemingly connected. This is so frustrating!!!! Why can’t these units just freaking work?!
Old 08-12-21, 05:10 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by InveredMP
This is so confusing. I can’t get it to play normally. A couple of times I have selected Bluetooth in the Lexus screen, gone to CarPlay and it continues to play. But on AUX, I cannot get it to play at all. It plays but with no audio rather. WiFi is seemingly connected. This is so frustrating!!!! Why can’t these units just freaking work?!
when your phone is connected to Lexus BT can you hear music with input switched to Bluetooth on your Lexus? When you switch to Aux you will not hear music unless playback destination needs to change to CarPlay. See my screen below I have localhost and Lexus IS. localhost is where audio will be send to CarPlay. Lexus IS for Bluetooth input. I always listen music in Aux and keep this connected to localhost and never switch to Bluetooth. Or remove your phone from connecting to Lexus Bluetooth. It isn’t needed anymore even phone calls will come through CarPlay it will prevent confusion.

Localhost name might be different on your system this is what Lexion uses. Which app comes with 4x4 for CarPlay zlink or Autokit?

whoismiked (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 05:15 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Dojoman is a wizard with these units, so listen to him over me, I was trying to help but as I have never used carplay for audio, I was just guessing the best things to try and I prolly made this more confusing then it needed to be lol, but this does sound like a simple case of finding the right settings and nothing wrong with the unit.
Old 08-12-21, 05:25 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

I can’t hear audio on either. Here is a video

Old 08-12-21, 05:57 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

https://youtu.be/ZSffA842G7M
Your Bluetooth works when connected to Lexus I can hear the music, then you switched to Aux and switched your speakers to CarPlay destination, no sound. Try this in Aux, pause the music and then play again. Sometime there is a glitch but I doubt this will fix it. Or have you try switching the input to A/V instead of Aux? My 4x4 audio works on both inputs. I have a hunch you need to short the wire I showed earlier very likely 4X4 hasn’t fix this problem and it only affects certain cars. Send them the pic. Sorry I could not help further. Btw, does the joystick work in CarPlay?

Also I see you change back and forth between CarPlay and Lexus IS when selecting speakers, but you will not hear music when your input was switched to Aux and change your speaker to Lexus IS, if you want to hear music switch input back to Bluetooth. Lexus IS speakers are only for BT.

In BT you will not hear any audio from Waze or any other audio from your system only AUX can. Including Siri responses. That’s why I only use AUX exclusively too bad it’s not working for you.

Last edited by dojoman; 08-12-21 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 06:08 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Right on, I guess that makes sense, as I mentioned I am not the best person to answer this particular issue as I have never used my android unit for audio.

I use carplay for navigation and some other apps, but have always just preferred my audio run through either Lexus BT, or music I have on USB drives (connected to my center console usb ports, not the android usb port), and control everything with the steering wheel controls

Maybe I'm weird, but I have always preferred it this way lol
I actually preferred BT for music on 4x4 but it sux I cannot hear any navigation instructions and gave up with it and keep my audio to AUX.
Old 08-12-21, 06:13 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

I actually preferred BT for music on 4x4 but it sux I cannot hear any navigation instructions and gave up with it and keep my audio to AUX.
That is a common complaint about using it the way I do, but that is another area where I am weird, I do not like directions being voiced, always muted them even before android.

Just glancing at the map when needed is all I need out of nav, it also helps that I have an apple watch that vibrates to alert me when something is coming up that needs my action.
Racer00J (08-13-21)
Old 08-12-21, 06:28 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Dude, sorry you're having this trouble, but 4x4 will always respond within 24 hours or less, send them that video and as many details as possible, they will get you fixed up. Once you get that sorted you will be able to enjoy all the glory of the unit!

Between now and then just listen to music through Lexus BT
Old 08-12-21, 06:53 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Your Bluetooth works when connected to Lexus I can hear the music, then you switched to Aux and switched your speakers to CarPlay destination, no sound. Try this in Aux, pause the music and then play again. Sometime there is a glitch but I doubt this will fix it. Or have you try switching the input to A/V instead of Aux? My 4x4 audio works on both inputs. I have a hunch you need to short the wire I showed earlier very likely 4X4 hasn’t fix this problem and it only affects certain cars. Send them the pic. Sorry I could not help further. Btw, does the joystick work in CarPlay?

Also I see you change back and forth between CarPlay and Lexus IS when selecting speakers, but you will not hear music when your input was switched to Aux and change your speaker to Lexus IS, if you want to hear music switch input back to Bluetooth. Lexus IS speakers are only for BT.

In BT you will not hear any audio from Waze or any other audio from your system only AUX can. Including Siri responses. That’s why I only use AUX exclusively too bad it’s not working for you.
I was just changing back to Lexus to show that audio does play audio, so it isn't a plug not connected or something. When I change to AUX, nothing plays, no alerts, no audio period, through CarPlay or Android. I did try the pause, and replay again and that didn't work. This sucks!!!
Old 08-12-21, 07:58 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I was just changing back to Lexus to show that audio does play audio, so it isn't a plug not connected or something. When I change to AUX, nothing plays, no alerts, no audio period, through CarPlay or Android. I did try the pause, and replay again and that didn't work. This sucks!!!
Sorry man. Like I said ask 4x4 about shorting the wire and send them your video it explains everything.
Old 08-12-21, 07:59 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Sorry man. Like I said ask 4x4 about shorting the wire and send them your video it explains everything.
I sent them the video. Sending by lol.
Old 08-13-21, 12:27 AM
Zerotec
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Okay so, I know with one of the Alibaba units I had, I had the same issue. The Alibaba unit I was using had an AUX cord that I ended up connecting to the aux port under the arm rest. Once I plugged in that, everything worked okay. Not too sure if the new 4x4 units are like that but that is how my Android 10 unit was.

Moreover, the audio that Spotify/Apple Music would play on would be "local host" rather than "Carplay". Like I said, it may be different for you but that is how my unit was.
Old 08-13-21, 12:38 PM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

This might sound incredibly stupid as I've had no hands-on experience with this system yet, and I apologize in advance... but... has anyone tried adjusting the volume separately when in Carplay?

I only ask because sometimes the volume for the OEM and bluetooth will adjust independently. I've experienced this with other cars before. Example: you can have the volume up at 20 in OEM, bluetooth might be at 0, and still the Android system's volume might be at 15. Just a thought.

That is a common complaint about using it the way I do, but that is another area where I am weird, I do not like directions being voiced, always muted them even before android.

Just glancing at the map when needed is all I need out of nav, it also helps that I have an apple watch that vibrates to alert me when something is coming up that needs my action.
Same here. I have the voice turned off in Waze and Google maps. I just need the occasional chime to remind me to glance at the map when I'm approaching a turn or an on/off ramp.
whoismiked (08-13-21)

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca