IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 10:21 PM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
I'm not saying it's MTK CPU, but it's not Qualcomm Snapdragon 662.
And the next generation should also have 8GB RAM and 256GB ROM, BT 5.0.
For an automobile head unit? I don't think so.
Carmakers need to consider the cost of each x millions of units.
Old 09-19-21, 03:00 AM
sebaw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wongnee
For an automobile head unit? I don't think so.
Carmakers need to consider the cost of each x millions of units.
I mean the HU currently available (4x4shop.ca) for Mercedes/Audi... maybe Lexus soon.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/mercedes-...-touch-screen/

Android 11 system, with 6G /8G RAM + 128G / 256GB ROM (8 core)
-CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon 662
-Latest Mercedes MBUX UI design
-Built in wired / wireless APPLE CARPLAY & ANDROID AUTO
-Anti Reflection Black Screen (Optional Anti Glare Blue Screen)
-10.25” touch screen
- 1920 x 720 Resolution
- Keep original radio system
-Support original **** and steering wheel control
-Built in GPS, WiFi and Mirrolink function
-Support 4G Network, USB, SD card, Bluetooth 5.0
-Built in parking guideline, support both original and aftermarket backup camera
-Support aftermarket 360 surround view system
-Support original car information displaying, such as speed, oil, etc
-Built in MIC, support handfree / bluetooth phone, phone book and music
-Plug & Play installation.

Last edited by sebaw; 09-19-21 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-19-21, 04:42 AM
Pandaaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased the lexion unit yesterday.
Old 09-20-21, 12:46 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hey guys,

so i'll be pulling the plug on the 4X4 unit. The guys at 4X4 will be installing it as i live 20 min away from them. I was on the phone with them and they said the unit is coming in tomorrow, so i'll probably go there thursday to get it installed. I can't tell if it's the 3rd gen or 4th because i asked if it's the latest and they said yes it's the latest.

What i want to know before pulling the plug (lets assume 3rd gen), are u all happy with it? based on reading, my understanding is thatt he unit will output ALL audio from aux... but i can still use the Lexus BT.. i have the mark levinston setup so i watn the best audio...
When im in carplay mode, and i use the music app, will the audio come out of AUX or can i output that to BT?

also, if there is anything else you guys can tell me about the unit i should be aware of that would be great. LIke if there are certain things that won't work once i use the unit, please let me know.

I want to make sure my phone calls are untouched and works seemslesly. i want to ensure all steering controls are intact. If i use carplay to play music, can i use steering control to switch tracks and pick up/hang up calls?
Old 09-20-21, 01:13 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruzifan
hey guys,

so i'll be pulling the plug on the 4X4 unit. The guys at 4X4 will be installing it as i live 20 min away from them. I was on the phone with them and they said the unit is coming in tomorrow, so i'll probably go there thursday to get it installed. I can't tell if it's the 3rd gen or 4th because i asked if it's the latest and they said yes it's the latest.

What i want to know before pulling the plug (lets assume 3rd gen), are u all happy with it? based on reading, my understanding is thatt he unit will output ALL audio from aux... but i can still use the Lexus BT.. i have the mark levinston setup so i watn the best audio...
When im in carplay mode, and i use the music app, will the audio come out of AUX or can i output that to BT?

also, if there is anything else you guys can tell me about the unit i should be aware of that would be great. LIke if there are certain things that won't work once i use the unit, please let me know.

I want to make sure my phone calls are untouched and works seemslesly. i want to ensure all steering controls are intact. If i use carplay to play music, can i use steering control to switch tracks and pick up/hang up calls?
Both. You just have to change input from AUX to BT. But remember that you also have to switch speakers out in iOS Control Center from carplay to Lexus BT output. That's why I don't mess with this I just leave everything in AUX. And you cannot hear Waze Nav audio in BT.

This is going to be tricky, at least in Lexion unit I don't have experience with 4x4, all phone calls go though Carplay interface it doesn't use BT. iOS setting for Call Audio Routing to "Bluetooth headset" will route to BT but there's a bug in iOS 14 this doesn't work. If you use Carplay screen you can hear phone calls both directions, but if you're in OEM input like Radio or CD and when phone call comes in you won't be able to hear them until you switch to AUX. The iOS setting above supposed to toggle to BT automatically but it's not working for me. When you use steering phone buttons it will always bring up Carplay phone screen, this is at least how it works in Lexion. Steering wheel track skip button works.
Old 09-20-21, 01:25 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Does using AUX not use the Mark Levison system? I thought it was just one big system that regardless of what output you use, its gonna use the ML system.
Old 09-20-21, 03:00 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Zerotec
Does using AUX not use the Mark Levison system? I thought it was just one big system that regardless of what output you use, its gonna use the ML system.
it is yes, but u know what they say, bt quality is superior than aux that’s all.

so it seems like if I’m in carplay screen, Snd a call comes in, it won’t use the car’s default BT call system? That’s kinda crazy. Does the unit come with its own mic?
Old 09-20-21, 03:08 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

it is yes, but u know what they say, bt quality is superior than aux that’s all.

so it seems like if I’m in carplay screen, Snd a call comes in, it won’t use the car’s default BT call system? That’s kinda crazy. Does the unit come with its own mic?
Phone calls will go though OEM mic if you choose to select this in the setting, there's a also a plug on the harness to complete this connection. It also comes with an external mic but I didn't want to connect it another wire to deal with. But this info is coming from using Lexion not 4x4 so some things might be different with that one.
Old 09-20-21, 03:22 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dojoman
Phone calls will go though OEM mic if you choose to select this in the setting, there's a also a plug on the harness to complete this connection. It also comes with an external mic but I didn't want to connect it another wire to deal with. But this info is coming from using Lexion not 4x4 so some things might be different with that one.

Thanks,
since 4x4 will be doing the install themselves, I’ll ask them to set it up accordingly.

inalso just spoke to them, it turns out they’re releasing gen4 using Qualcomm and android 11 at the end of this month.

u think it’s worth waiting or I should go with the 3rd Gen that has snapdragon? And Android 10? Is there a bigger advantage from the 2 gens? On their site they are adversiting it for Mercedes Benz. So I think it’ll be similar?
Old 09-20-21, 04:23 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Thanks,
since 4x4 will be doing the install themselves, I’ll ask them to set it up accordingly.

inalso just spoke to them, it turns out they’re releasing gen4 using Qualcomm and android 11 at the end of this month.

u think it’s worth waiting or I should go with the 3rd Gen that has snapdragon? And Android 10? Is there a bigger advantage from the 2 gens? On their site they are adversiting it for Mercedes Benz. So I think it’ll be similar?
Honestly I hardly used Android OS so even if I have Android 10 vs 11 I probably won’t notice much. I use CarPlay exclusively since I don’t like using hotspot from my phone.
Old 09-20-21, 08:11 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Honestly I hardly used Android OS so even if I have Android 10 vs 11 I probably won’t notice much. I use CarPlay exclusively since I don’t like using hotspot from my phone.
oh I see so the first the carplay interface to run, u don’t need much processing power
Old 09-21-21, 02:37 AM
sebaw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks,

This is interesting (4gen)
You can use Android Auto or Carplay (Wireless)and factory BT:

Because it is BT 5.0.

Last edited by sebaw; 09-21-21 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 11:17 AM
Spyder84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely buying the 4th gen unit as soon as it is available.
Been eyeing the marketplace for the used units but decided get the latest.
Old 09-22-21, 07:33 AM
gbutler24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both. You just have to change input from AUX to BT. But remember that you also have to switch speakers out in iOS Control Center from carplay to Lexus BT output. That's why I don't mess with this I just leave everything in AUX. And you cannot hear Waze Nav audio in BT.

This is going to be tricky, at least in Lexion unit I don't have experience with 4x4, all phone calls go though Carplay interface it doesn't use BT. iOS setting for Call Audio Routing to "Bluetooth headset" will route to BT but there's a bug in iOS 14 this doesn't work. If you use Carplay screen you can hear phone calls both directions, but if you're in OEM input like Radio or CD and when phone call comes in you won't be able to hear them until you switch to AUX. The iOS setting above supposed to toggle to BT automatically but it's not working for me. When you use steering phone buttons it will always bring up Carplay phone screen, this is at least how it works in Lexion. Steering wheel track skip button works.
That is really odd. So if I'm all bluetooth and using waze, go into waze app settings, sound output, and select play as bluetooth phone call, it doesn't route through the speakers?
Old 09-22-21, 08:01 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gbutler24
That is really odd. So if I'm all bluetooth and using waze, go into waze app settings, sound output, and select play as bluetooth phone call, it doesn't route through the speakers?
You don't want to use this it will keep calling yourself to transmit voice to BT. Every time Waze instruction is announced it dials phone number to you. Also, you cannot change sound output from Waze once Carplay is connected, it locked into output through Carplay only, I've already tried to workaround no luck.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca