IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 06:55 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If not call them and ask, talk to Fred I'm sure he will sell you one for the $850 price if you say you are from the Lexus forum.
Old 10-25-18, 07:20 AM
aznknightz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkotoric
Wait isn't it $1100 Canadian dollars which is about $850 us dollars
Unfortunately all prices were marked in USD already. But yea definitely call/talk to Fred and he knows we are promoting it and testing it in Lexus forum.

Anyway, did a short drive to work today and with my CarPlay dongle still attached, I went from Android to Lexus but it didnt flicker back to Android....very weird.

Been talking to Ray for the technical support. He asked me to record video of the incident so I did. Uploading to YouTube later and share.
Old 10-25-18, 11:22 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Wait isn't it $1100 Canadian dollars which is about $850 us dollars
Hmmm maybe he should just call and ask.
Old 10-29-18, 06:28 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright so I did a reset on my unit and didn't install any apps and I have not been getting any of the switch back from Android to Lexus interface. It must have been one of my apps. I will install one at a time and find out which one is causing it.
Old 10-29-18, 03:34 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Alright so I did a reset on my unit and didn't install any apps and I have not been getting any of the switch back from Android to Lexus interface. It must have been one of my apps. I will install one at a time and find out which one is causing it.
It happens to me occasionally when I am in Apple CarPlay. It's rare for me.
Old 10-29-18, 07:52 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone got news regarding the 2014 Navi models w/ the control stick ?
Old 10-30-18, 06:00 AM
Tiger12
Driver School Candidate

Default New Display CarPlay Possibility?

Hi All,

I ordered today my 10.25 Inch Android head unit for my 2016 IS200T. I'm starting a thread as I will be writing a review along with shipping time about this item. I'm very excited to get this unit.

The unit was ordered on September 6th and received on September 11th.

My YouTube Walk-through/Review Video

Technical Information about the unit:
Price: $800
Running: Android 6.0
Screen Resolution: 1280x480
ROM: 32GB
RAM: 2GB

Installation/Walk-through/Review:
I was a little hesitant to spend $800 on a unit that claims to have all of the features and functions. I took a chance. Turns out the 2 GB RAM and 32 GB ROM is a great unit.

The install does require some knowledge of what you're doing, as with any head swap.
I initially thought all I had to do is unplug the screen and plug the new screen in.
This is not the case. The radio in the middle of the dash has to be removed.
3 wires from the back of the radio need to be unplugged and plugged into the included wiring kit and plugging in the male ends from the wiring kit back into the radio.
Next step involves running the rest of the wires from the back of the radio to the top to the back of the screen location.
You then have two white connectors that plug into the screen. One for power and one for the USB add-ons along with the blue connector that coming directly from the car.
Everything except backup camera seems to be working good.
I ran my GPS antenna underneath the glove box and had it mounted in the corner by the passenger side speaker and GPS locks in well and has strong signal.
USB cable has been ran through the same spot except into the glove box.
My backup camera does not work and I have spoken with 4x4 and they are sending me an additional cable that plugs into to the black connector that was previously plugged in to the back of the old screen and comes out with a AUX cable which will plug into the wiring kit. Hopefully this resolves the backup camera issue.
I know a couple questions have been mentioned regarding how the backup camera looks and while its not working there are setting options in the menu where it can be stretched to full screen or not.

So my thoughts after the first 24 hours are that I really like this unit and loving that fact when watching Youtube videos that I can use pinch to zoom to make all videos full screen which truly feels like a immersive experience. Another thing I'd like to mention is that if you just want a big screen in your car you never really have to use the android system. It will be just like before except a lot bigger. To switch between android and stock lexus system you can simply click the Media button and it will switch it back and fourth. Tapping on the screen like it was mentioned in their walk through is not really necessary. As far as the system it looks very pretty and its very responsive. Only lag I have noticed is when updating or installing new apps. I have downloaded my Dish Network to watch tv and it plays and looks great. The screen quality is quality is great as well and I find it a lot better than the original radio in the car. One thing to note when using the large screen with your stock Lexus system that everything is stretched. It doesn't really bother me and I probably wouldn't even notice it had this size of a screen been in there from the beginning but its just something you notice when going from a much smaller screen. Bluetooth works great as well as far as playing things from my phone but I'm mostly likely keeping my phone connected to my stock Bluetooth option so that I don't have to wire an additional microphone that's included in the box. It doesn't seem like when on the android system we can use the Microphone that's already built into the car. WiFi signal is solid and stays connected. Most of my usage so far has been the radio being tethered to my phone.

A few things that I don't like:
Inability to change information from Metric to US Standard
Volume not shown when switching in Android Interface even-though it does change the volume.

If you have any questions or if there is something specific you would like to see in the video please ask in the forum and I will answer and add it them to my review & video.
Is there any possibility that with the new 2018 Display you can add Carplay? Or is there something you can add to it?
Old 10-30-18, 08:01 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tiger12
Is there any possibility that with the new 2018 Display you can add Carplay? Or is there something you can add to it?
Unless Lexus does a retroactive software update, there’s no way to get Apple CarPlay on the OEM stock screen.
Old 10-30-18, 11:43 AM
Tiger12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5

Unless Lexus does a retroactive software update, there’s no way to get Apple CarPlay on the OEM stock screen.
Thanks!

Wish they could've pushed the ES software to all of the Lexus models. Would make for a better in-car experience....hopefully the newer version of the IS has Carplay.
Old 10-30-18, 08:34 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger12
Thanks!

Wish they could've pushed the ES software to all of the Lexus models. Would make for a better in-car experience....hopefully the newer version of the IS has Carplay.
If the next generation IS doesn't have Apple Carplay/Android auto this company would take a step back. I'd be shocked if it wasn't included.
Old 10-30-18, 08:38 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JBison73
If the next generation IS doesn't have Apple Carplay/Android auto this company would take a step back. I'd be shocked if it wasn't included.
Yeah I’m 99% sure they will include Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.
Old 11-02-18, 08:28 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
Anyone got news regarding the 2014 Navi models w/ the control stick ?
I haven't heard yet. Fred told me he would call me when they had a fix. They were looking into new firmware and a new wiring harness. I'm still hoping it happens one day.
The following users liked this post:
LexSense (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 09:17 AM
Freed6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have problems with this material
my backup camera no longer works, the cable power seems defective I had to cut on a connector. I have interference when I listen to music.
This is not at all plug in play for me in Europe (France).
There is no manual in English, even if I want to connect another camera. since original rear camera is dead because of this screen.
Old 11-09-18, 04:25 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Freed6
Hello,
I have problems with this material
my backup camera no longer works, the cable power seems defective I had to cut on a connector. I have interference when I listen to music.
This is not at all plug in play for me in Europe (France).
There is no manual in English, even if I want to connect another camera. since original rear camera is dead because of this screen.
Call 4x4 Shop and ask for help. You probably shouldn’t have cut any wires.
Old 11-10-18, 06:41 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Did anybody figure out the whole switching back thing? It’s happening to me now everytime. Lol

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca