IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 08:53 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JWIS350
Yes. I had to update for CarPlay to work. Just download the apk file and install. No need to rename.
Do you have the "no signal" issue when you turn your car on in Lexus mode and when you put your car in reverse (no signal flashes for a second or two)?
Old 01-11-19, 11:34 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I still have that problem. Seems to be a lag in the unit detecting the connection. Not sure if they can get rid of it, but I haven’t asked.
Old 01-11-19, 11:57 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Flash5
I still have that problem. Seems to be a lag in the unit detecting the connection. Not sure if they can get rid of it, but I haven’t asked.
Thanks Flash5, i would like someone else to verify this as well. I also inquired about the quality of the audio with Roy and he said that putting the car in AV mode may have better sound quality then AUX (both should work). How is your audio with Carplay?
Old 01-11-19, 12:34 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD3
Thanks Flash5, i would like someone else to verify this as well. I also inquired about the quality of the audio with Roy and he said that putting the car in AV mode may have better sound quality then AUX (both should work). How is your audio with Carplay?
Honestly the audio for me is trash when it’s not coming from the stock unit. I just use Bluetooth along with Apple CarPlay. Which AV mode is he talking about?
Old 01-11-19, 01:40 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Flash5

Honestly the audio for me is trash when it’s not coming from the stock unit. I just use Bluetooth along with Apple CarPlay. Which AV mode is he talking about?
On the Lexus side instead of using AUX use AV, i can't test now but see if that's better. There should also be audio settings on the android side that can be adjusted if that doesn't work. In Google Play Music on the android side I was able to adjust the equalizer to get it sounding pretty good, but there should be general audio setting on android as well which is how Carplay is working i believe.

Last edited by MD3; 01-11-19 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 11:32 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD3
On the Lexus side instead of using AUX use AV, i can't test now but see if that's better. There should also be audio settings on the android side that can be adjusted if that doesn't work. In Google Play Music on the android side I was able to adjust the equalizer to get it sounding pretty good, but there should be general audio setting on android as well which is how Carplay is working i believe.
I tried to adjust the settings on the android side but had no success. This was in aux mode a while back. I haven’t tried AV mode but whenever my car arrives from the US I’ll try it out.
Old 01-23-19, 04:51 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Droth
In Lexus mode change source to AUX then you'll get sound in Android mode
I switch the Lexus side to AUX and only hear hiss. Nothing else. What am I missing?
Old 01-24-19, 09:11 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Contacted Fred at 4x4shop.ca regarding this problem. Expect a call back later today or tomorrow. Will post follow up here.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 06:55 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Been forwarded to the engineering fellow directly in China. Send a message just waiting for a response.

Anyhow, I went back a looked at the main wiring harness from some pics I took before the install. There is a 3.5 mm female headphone style jack. Is this by chance what the problem is? The install wiring that came with the unit didn't include any type of 3.5 mm male wire but is this what the problem is? I'm guessing now that a 3.5 mm cord is used from that female end and run to the centre console where it is plugged into the female 3.5 mm jack that is in the vehicle.

Hot or cold? Lol. Wish they would include some kind of install instructions. **** I'm from the Mr Mugs days, all I need are pics. Cheers!
Old 01-25-19, 08:17 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Been forwarded to the engineering fellow directly in China. Send a message just waiting for a response.

Anyhow, I went back a looked at the main wiring harness from some pics I took before the install. There is a 3.5 mm female headphone style jack. Is this by chance what the problem is? The install wiring that came with the unit didn't include any type of 3.5 mm male wire but is this what the problem is? I'm guessing now that a 3.5 mm cord is used from that female end and run to the centre console where it is plugged into the female 3.5 mm jack that is in the vehicle.

Hot or cold? Lol. Wish they would include some kind of install instructions. **** I'm from the Mr Mugs days, all I need are pics. Cheers!
I'm not sure, are you referring to the other 3.5mm besides the one for the rear view camera on the harness?

My replacement unit gets in on Monday and I plan to troubleshoot the audio next week, I am definitely interested in what the engineer has to say. Have you found an equalizer on the android side?

My goal is to have 100% audio while in Carplay/AA.
Old 01-25-19, 08:32 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Hey hey! There are two female yellow RCA inputs on the main harness and one black 3.5 mm female headphone jack output. One of the yellow RCA inputs is used for the backup camera. The other RCA I'm assuming is if you have a front camera.

You obviously didn't have to use the black 3.5 mm headphone style jack coming out of the harness.

Here a pic of my harness

1 and 2 are the yellow RCA inputs
3 is the 3.5mm female headphone jack

Is yours being replacement because of the poor audio coming from the android side?

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca-photo696.jpg
Old 01-25-19, 08:41 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Hey hey! There are two female yellow RCA inputs on the main harness and one black 3.5 mm female headphone jack output. One of the yellow RCA inputs is used for the backup camera. The other RCA I'm assuming is if you have a front camera.

You obviously didn't have to use the black 3.5 mm headphone style jack coming out of the harness.

Here a pic of my harness

1 and 2 are the yellow RCA inputs
3 is the 3.5mm female headphone jack

Is yours being replacement because of the poor audio coming from the android side?

Attachment 477392
Ah yes that one, I did not use that black one for anything. Mine is being replaced because the top right of the screen pushed in a bit during install not because of the audio issue on the android side. I definitely need the audio on that side up and running 100%, I saw a similar unit from KiriNavi on aliexpress that had an equalizer function, I couldn't find one on ours though. If it doesn't have one and we can't figure this audio thing out I think we should push to have a software update that gives us an equalizer which might help.
Old 01-25-19, 08:56 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Another problem is their support is garbage. I'm trying to talk with someone in China 14 hrs ahead of me. Got a whole 5 mins with the dude then he had to go to bed. ?!?! Really??

Is yours the Navi or non Navi unit?
Old 01-25-19, 09:10 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Another problem is their support is garbage. I'm trying to talk with someone in China 14 hrs ahead of me. Got a whole 5 mins with the dude then he had to go to bed. ?!?! Really??

Is yours the Navi or non Navi unit?
I have Navi (jog control). The tech support shouldn't usually be this bad, Fred is the sales/customer service guy, Roy the tech support guy is usually in Canada with Fred but he is visiting the supplier this week in China from what I gathered. I have talked to Roy before in Canada and plan to work with him on the audio issue as well.

I think it's probably a good thing that you are bringing this issue up while he is in China with the supplier.
Old 01-25-19, 09:15 AM
JWIS350
Driver

I thought so too. But directing customer to China for support kinda sucks. I spoke with Fred too. Ray unfortunately has some family stuff come up so he's gone for awhile.

Did your audio work from the android/CarPlay side without you changing any settings in the unit? You just installed switched the Lexus side to AUX and you were good to go? I'm even more stumped now as you got audio and didn't need to use connection 3 in my pic above.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca