IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 09:22 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JWIS350
I thought so too. But directing customer to China for support kinda sucks. I spoke with Fred too. Ray unfortunately has some family stuff come up so he's gone for awhile.

Did your audio work from the android/CarPlay side without you changing any settings in the unit? You just installed switched the Lexus side to AUX and you were good to go? I'm even more stumped now as you got audio and didn't need to use connection 3 in my pic above.
I didn't get Carplay up and running yet but it should work fine through the USB when the Lexus side is on AUX (or AV according to Roy - I haven't been able to test yet). On the android side the sound doesn't sound "full" but while using google play music I was able to use the equalizer in the app to make it sound decent.
Old 01-25-19, 09:26 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok cool. Appreciate your replies man. Thank you.

Did you get the .apk file for CarPlay? You need to update for CarPlay to work if you haven't already. I saved the file if you need.

Cheers and have a good weekend ?
Old 01-25-19, 10:39 AM
JWIS350
Driver

That input is for the microphone. So this leads me to believe that the audio doesn't work due to a software setting on the Android side or a hardware issue with the Android side communicating with the Lexus side. Waiting for a follow up from engineer in China.
Old 01-25-19, 10:47 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

That input is for the microphone. So this leads me to believe that the audio doesn't work due to a software setting on the Android side or a hardware issue with the Android side communicating with the Lexus side. Waiting for a follow up from engineer in China.
Agreed, I'm really interested to hear if they have a solution. I have the Carplay APK file from Roy, thanks have a good weekend as well, cheers!
Old 01-25-19, 11:49 AM
JWIS350
Driver

So I've found another limitation or software bug. I am currently using both USB outputs with this system. The bug is when you are playing a video from USB 1 on the Android side and you plug in the CarPlay adapter to USB 2 (this happens with or without the phone being connected) the video on USB 1 begins to play in a 5 sec loop. Disconnect the CarPlay adapter everything goes back to normal. This doesn't happen when I'm playing music files. Just video files. Also when I switch USB inputs around the same thing occurs. FYI
Old 01-29-19, 05:50 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

So I've found another limitation or software bug. I am currently using both USB outputs with this system. The bug is when you are playing a video from USB 1 on the Android side and you plug in the CarPlay adapter to USB 2 (this happens with or without the phone being connected) the video on USB 1 begins to play in a 5 sec loop. Disconnect the CarPlay adapter everything goes back to normal. This doesn't happen when I'm playing music files. Just video files. Also when I switch USB inputs around the same thing occurs. FYI
I only have the one USB set up so I'm not sure of how much of an issue this will be for most people. I re-installed the unit today and turned it to AV on the Lexus side instead of AUX and I have to say the audio is full (much different then the tinny, no base sound on AUX). I have the jog so I'm not sure if non jog people have the option to use the AV audio setting.
Old 01-29-19, 06:33 PM
JWIS350
Driver

I guess the benefit of both is one is in my glove box which has the USB drive with TV Movies Music while the other USB is run into the centre console where the CarPlay module is. Easy access to have my phone in the console. Plus I hate seeing cords and **** so it offers a much cleaner looking install.

Also for playing video files you are limited to a max 32gig flash drive. Anything bigger (64 and 128 gig) and it sometimes won't detect the files and will freeze and force a restart. My bigger flash drives are formatted FAT32 just like the 32gig. I've noted that you can play any music (mp3) file from the same large flash drive without issue. It just seems to be an issue with video. My video files are mp4. Same video files load and play fine with the 32gig.

I'm still working with their engineering dept in China to figure out my sound issue coming from the Android side. Back home from work this weekend to play some more.
Old 01-30-19, 06:48 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys am I correct in assuming I need a working OEM unit to install this since the system can flip between OEM and this one? My stack needs to be replaced as it is endlessly looping the lexus welcome splash and warning page, then cutting out and restarting (2014 is350 with nav). I don't really want the original system as it's lacking in features but I get the feeling I need it to work in order to install this mod.
Old 01-31-19, 04:21 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzer126
Hey guys am I correct in assuming I need a working OEM unit to install this since the system can flip between OEM and this one? My stack needs to be replaced as it is endlessly looping the lexus welcome splash and warning page, then cutting out and restarting (2014 is350 with nav). I don't really want the original system as it's lacking in features but I get the feeling I need it to work in order to install this mod.
That would be correct. It wouldn’t really do much for you without your actually unit working. You would be able to access the android system on the screen, but other functions wouldn’t work properly.
Old 01-31-19, 09:55 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Default Screen Rattle/Housing

Loving the benefits of the screen and with the EQ settings on the android side and AV in Lexus mode have the audio acceptable. However I received a second unit and the screen also rattles on this one, so I am curious if on your units the screen is flush with the housing on the top corners or are they indented a bit?

The top right part of the screen actually pops out flush with the housing a pushes back in about a millimeter. I'm trying to find a solution with inserts or something so the screen stays put.
Old 01-31-19, 10:35 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Loving the benefits of the screen and with the EQ settings on the android side and AV in Lexus mode have the audio acceptable. However I received a second unit and the screen also rattles on this one, so I am curious if on your units the screen is flush with the housing on the top corners or are they indented a bit?

The top right part of the screen actually pops out flush with the housing a pushes back in about a millimeter. I'm trying to find a solution with inserts or something so the screen stays put.
Did you remove the 4 little clips off of the oem screen and put them on the new screen? The right side of the screen should be a little out because that makes it so the screen view is better from the driver’s position.
Old 01-31-19, 11:37 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Flash5

Did you remove the 4 little clips off of the oem screen and put them on the new screen? The right side of the screen should be a little out because that makes it so the screen view is better from the driver’s position.
I did use the clips and the screen is in, but the glass screen literally moves in and out against the housing.
Old 01-31-19, 12:11 PM
JWIS350
Driver

My top right corner is a little wonky. And yes, this thing rattles. I've rolled up a few pieces of black electricians tape and placed in each corner. Keeps the bezel in contact with the dash lip. Somewhat stops the rattles when driving.

The other part that is a tad noisy is the plastic trim piece that replaces the OEM one. I used some Velcro pads to hold it in place better.

I'm home tomorrow and will try switching AUX and A/V to hear the audio difference.
Old 01-31-19, 12:14 PM
JWIS350
Driver

My top right corner is a little wonky.
To be clear I realize the right side comes out more to accommodate the driver. The top right of the screen inside the bezel is what's off.
Old 01-31-19, 02:15 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

To be clear I realize the right side comes out more to accommodate the driver. The top right of the screen inside the bezel is what's off.
Yep that's the same issue i have. I sent video to Fred today, waiting to hear back but I'm assuming we are SOL on this problem. I was thinking about trying to find some thin foam or rubber strips to put in the top corners.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca