IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 04:35 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Tried Aux and AV and still the audio sounds staticky even when I adjust the settings. I’m convinced it has to be the harness connection itself. Idk I’m just going to keep using Bluetooth.
Old 02-05-19, 06:06 AM
JoA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still on the fence putting one of these in my wife’s Lexus but in my Tundra, a Maestro adapter will connect the android HU to the factory GPS antenna, not sure if same here.

Radio to Video to Phone to Video to Waze with music backgrounded in my truck:

Old 02-05-19, 02:58 PM
aribter
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Tried Aux and AV and still the audio sounds staticky even when I adjust the settings. I’m convinced it has to be the harness connection itself. Idk I’m just going to keep using Bluetooth.
How bad is the audio from the android unit? Currently considering getting this for my NX200T but the bad audio from the android unit is giving me second thoughts.

If I understand correctly, I can still use BT too play Spotify even when using Apple Carplay right?
Old 02-05-19, 08:31 PM
JoA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aribter

How bad is the audio from the android unit? Currently considering getting this for my NX200T but the bad audio from the android unit is giving me second thoughts.

If I understand correctly, I can still use BT too play Spotify even when using Apple Carplay right?
If you install this, please post experience, my wife has a NX200T too!

fwiw, it vastly improved the SQ in my Tundra, which isn't much because the stock Tundra HU is notorious for being crap, JBL or non-JBL.
Old 02-05-19, 08:50 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've tried both AUX and A/V inputs. I can say when you are playing music from the USB it sounds less hollow and more full when I am on A/V. But, I've also noticed when playing a video file from the USB drive it sounds better on AUX.

Android side music. Lexus input A/V.
Android side video. Lexus input AUX.

I would say the audio is comparable to what is coming from the Lexus side when I'm in the proper mode (AUX or A/V)

For those following this thread my audio issue was solved by connecting two wires together on the main wiring harness on the back of the screen.

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca-photo485.jpg
The following users liked this post:
MD3 (02-06-19)
Old 02-05-19, 10:08 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by aribter

Yeah, it’s a little annoying because when you connect to Apple CarPlay, the iPhone defaults the music output to the “CarPlay dongle” so you have to hit the airplay button in the music app on your phone and switch back to Lexus BT every time you hook up. I can live with that but it’s a total drag when you’re driving with a bunch of stops like stores and stuff haha. Still worth it to have Apple CarPlay.
Old 02-06-19, 02:28 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JWIS350
I've tried both AUX and A/V inputs. I can say when you are playing music from the USB it sounds less hollow and more full when I am on A/V. But, I've also noticed when playing a video file from the USB drive it sounds better on AUX.

Android side music. Lexus input A/V.
Android side video. Lexus input AUX.

I would say the audio is comparable to what is coming from the Lexus side when I'm in the proper mode (AUX or A/V)

For those following this thread my audio issue was solved by connecting two wires together on the main wiring harness on the back of the screen.

Attachment 477466
Very cool, thanks for sharing your fix.
Old 02-07-19, 03:31 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Default Phone in Carplay

When I'm on the phone in carplay i have been told by people that they hear a loud buzzing sound intermittently, however it's crystal clear on my end. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-07-19, 04:18 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
When I'm on the phone in carplay i have been told by people that they hear a loud buzzing sound intermittently, however it's crystal clear on my end. Anyone else have this issue?
I just did a test call with a friend and all is good...there was no intermediate buzzing. Only on the line for about 5 mins tho. I usually use my pods when doing calls in the car or the Lexus Bluetooth.

One thing I've noticed with playing audio from CarPlay ex Spotify is there is a BIG difference on the audio level and quality.

When playing through the AUX input the audio has zero low end and just sounds plain terrible. Switch to the A/V input and the audio level goes waaaay down. You really have to turn up the volume (and not forget to turn it down when you switch back to sat radio as I found out lol). The only plus with the A/V side is that it does sound a little better. There is more low end coming out.

Next time I'm out in the car I'll do a longer call with CarPlay and see if that buzzing exist.
Old 02-07-19, 07:39 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JWIS350
I just did a test call with a friend and all is good...there was no intermediate buzzing. Only on the line for about 5 mins tho. I usually use my pods when doing calls in the car or the Lexus Bluetooth.

One thing I've noticed with playing audio from CarPlay ex Spotify is there is a BIG difference on the audio level and quality.

When playing through the AUX input the audio has zero low end and just sounds plain terrible. Switch to the A/V input and the audio level goes waaaay down. You really have to turn up the volume (and not forget to turn it down when you switch back to sat radio as I found out lol). The only plus with the A/V side is that it does sound a little better. There is more low end coming out.

Next time I'm out in the car I'll do a longer call with CarPlay and see if that buzzing exist.
Thanks for checking this out, I'm going to try and rule out any external cords first (lighting cable, etc.) before I open anything up again. Also here are my sound setting in AUX which sound great for me, not sure if they'll help but couldn't hurt to share.

Old 02-08-19, 01:18 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is this available in Canada?
Old 02-08-19, 01:38 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisV
The shop that sells and installs these is in Ontario, Canada.
Old 02-08-19, 05:56 PM
aznknightz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang came back hope to see 8.0 update but I didnt see anything.
Old 02-11-19, 06:15 PM
jake5m
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Just found the thread and am interested in the unit. Having read through the comments I see the following recurring themes:

- Despite the fact that this product has been out on the market for some time now, there remains a lot of confusion regarding installation and setup. As far as I can tell no one has posted a definitive installation guide.
- Different people are reporting different glitches, which suggests that the firmware has a long way to go
- Problems with usability (very finicky with the settings)
- Issues with sound quality
- Tech support appears to be spotty
- Despite all of these issues the general sense is that almost everyone would "buy again"

Not sure what to do at this point. Is it really worth all of this hassle?

Jake5m
Old 02-11-19, 06:25 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisV
The place that sells and installs these is located in Markham, Ontario.

@ 160 Konrad Crescent

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca