10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 07:20 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by jake5m
Hi guys,

Just found the thread and am interested in the unit. Having read through the comments I see the following recurring themes:

- Despite the fact that this product has been out on the market for some time now, there remains a lot of confusion regarding installation and setup. As far as I can tell no one has posted a definitive installation guide.
- Different people are reporting different glitches, which suggests that the firmware has a long way to go
- Problems with usability (very finicky with the settings)
- Issues with sound quality
- Tech support appears to be spotty
- Despite all of these issues the general sense is that almost everyone would "buy again"

Not sure what to do at this point. Is it really worth all of this hassle?

Jake5m
It’s worth it to me. Everyday usability is fine. Sure there are some glitches, but overall the screen is bigger than the OEM one and you get a huge amount of additional features. Some work better than others.
Old 02-11-19, 08:26 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

It’s worth it to me. Everyday usability is fine. Sure there are some glitches, but overall the screen is bigger than the OEM one and you get a huge amount of additional features. Some work better than others.
Agreed, definitely worth it. Just having the full 10' screen makes it worth it for me., Navigation + Android is great too imo. Haven't regretted it once.
Old 02-12-19, 05:05 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

How about navigation from your phone. Is it simple to hop in the car and nav using google maps? Does it error out during use while your driving? Sounds like your overall happy. That's great. I want to do this!
Old 02-12-19, 05:37 AM
jake5m
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the allure of a bigger screen and nicer icons. From a cosmetic standpoint, I totally get it.

But from a practicality standpoint, what additional features are you guys actually using? Here is what I get from reading the comments:
- Navigation - advantage of having up-to-date maps
- Music - advantage of having Spotify, but many people are having issues with sound quality
- ???

What features are you guys actually using?

Also, some are suggesting to wait for an upgraded version with better hardware (hence less lag), and android 8. Any news on this actually happening?
Old 02-12-19, 05:41 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I get the allure of a bigger screen and nicer icons. From a cosmetic standpoint, I totally get it.

But from a practicality standpoint, what additional features are you guys actually using? Here is what I get from reading the comments:
- Navigation - advantage of having up-to-date maps
- Music - advantage of having Spotify, but many people are having issues with sound quality
- ???

What features are you guys actually using?

Also, some are suggesting to wait for an upgraded version with better hardware (hence less lag), and android 8. Any news on this actually happening?
Personally, I use the OEM head unit’s bluetooth for my music combined with the Apple CarPlay of the android unit and that solves my sound issue. It’s not perfect, but it works fine. This way I can use Apple Music, Google Maps, Apple Maps. Etc.
Old 02-12-19, 06:53 AM
aribter
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Personally, I use the OEM head unit’s bluetooth for my music combined with the Apple CarPlay of the android unit and that solves my sound issue. It’s not perfect, but it works fine. This way I can use Apple Music, Google Maps, Apple Maps. Etc.
Flash5 so you can listen to Spotify / Apple music via BT and use Waze via Carplay at the same time?
Old 02-12-19, 07:18 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aribter

Flash5 so you can listen to Spotify / Apple music via BT and use Waze via Carplay at the same time?
No, you use Apple CarPlay for everything but the music is routed through BT. So I’ll listen to Apple Music and use Google Maps both through Apple CarPlay, BUT the sound for Google Maps doesn’t go through BT only the music. That’s the issue. Basically, because the sound through the actual unit sounds crappy, I’m bypassing it by using BT through the OEM unit, but I’m doing it directly from Apple Music by switching the “Airplay” from the “unit” to “BT”. I have a video of it in action in this thread just can’t remember what page haha.

Last edited by Flash5; 02-12-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 09:29 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,

Just found the thread and am interested in the unit. Having read through the comments I see the following recurring themes:

- Despite the fact that this product has been out on the market for some time now, there remains a lot of confusion regarding installation and setup. As far as I can tell no one has posted a definitive installation guide.
- Different people are reporting different glitches, which suggests that the firmware has a long way to go
- Problems with usability (very finicky with the settings)
- Issues with sound quality
- Tech support appears to be spotty
- Despite all of these issues the general sense is that almost everyone would "buy again"

Not sure what to do at this point. Is it really worth all of this hassle?

Jake5m
This upgrade was definitely worth it for me, the bigger screen is very nice to have and upgrades the car to have current day technology.

I use:
- Carplay on a daily basis, just plug in and it loads up super quick. With my current settings the sound quality is almost to the level of bluetooth or regular Lexus mode. The unit is worth it just for this IMHO.
- Android for TV, etc.. I sit in California traffic on my ride home, I can load up Fubo TV, ESPN, Etc. and catch some games on the commute (don't recommend for freeway speeds lol).

The way I see it if you want an upgrade (since Lexus is never upgrading the software) is you can spend $800 on this unit, or $500 on the Beatsonic mirroring system which doesn't upgrade your screen or give you android apps.
Old 02-13-19, 01:51 PM
jake5m
Driver School Candidate

I found what appears to be a newer (or competing) product with better specs:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-2...960841714.html

Has anyone tried this version?
Old 02-13-19, 02:20 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Same specs, just running 7.1 instead of 6.0.
Old 02-13-19, 11:53 PM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wow that is exactly what I was after (a newer version). I have sent a message to the seller to see if the original features of the car definitely work like the android 6.0 unit, if it does I might purchase this.
Old 02-14-19, 04:01 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Unless you’re really going to use the built in features, it doesn’t really matter. If you’re getting this for the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto your phone is the software.
Old 02-14-19, 04:14 AM
jake5m
Driver School Candidate

I suspect that upgrading from Android 6.0 to 7.1 won't help at all with respect to how the unit interacts with your car. In other words, as long as they don't refine their firmware, there will be issues with sound quality, dashboard button interactions, etc.

I've decided to hold off on getting the unit until (1) someone posts an authoritative installation guide, and (2) the firmware is more mature.
Old 02-14-19, 09:53 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

I suspect that upgrading from Android 6.0 to 7.1 won't help at all with respect to how the unit interacts with your car. In other words, as long as they don't refine their firmware, there will be issues with sound quality, dashboard button interactions, etc.

I've decided to hold off on getting the unit until (1) someone posts an authoritative installation guide, and (2) the firmware is more mature.
Agreed the upgrade to 7.1 from 6.0 won't be much of a difference at all, the current firmware is fine there are barely any issues certainly nothing to stop the unit from working (all software has bugs). You'll probably be waiting a while if you are expecting a hardware upgrade. If you have any experience with installing audio in cars you'll figure it out, there is enough information on this blog to search through for help.

Happy waiting!
Old 02-14-19, 09:55 AM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are able to just get it installed at 4x4. Thats what im doing.
1100 installed

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca