IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 09:52 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
I don't have any random reboot issues at all either, but I do have this issue. Not sure if it's a problem or not.

JWIS350 are you on the latest software?
According to 4x4shop I do. What is your version information? When I'm in the car again I'll take a pic of mine.
Old 02-21-19, 11:14 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Hey All - Just curios if any of you use AA, I have an iPhone for main use and Caplay looks great...I was just messing around seeing how AA looked with my old HTC m8 and it seemed to stretch (didn't scale properly). How does AA look with newer devices?
I only use CarPlay so not sure, but I was impressed at how good Apple CarPlay looked when I first used it.
Old 02-25-19, 02:10 AM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know if the original plastic trim that hides the bolts can be used with this screen?
Old 02-25-19, 05:15 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LFields
Does anyone know if the original plastic trim that hides the bolts can be used with this screen?
I honestly didn’t try it, but I’m wondering the same thing because the one that came with the unit doesn’t seat properly haha.
Old 02-25-19, 07:20 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

I honestly didn’t try it, but I’m wondering the same thing because the one that came with the unit doesn’t seat properly haha.
That would drive me nuts!
Old 02-25-19, 07:49 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I used some Velcro tabs and that fixed the prob of it not sitting right and rattling.

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca-photo219.jpg
Old 02-26-19, 12:53 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I wonder when the Apple Car Play version of this will come out.
Old 02-26-19, 12:53 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

do you guys think this is worth the money?
Old 02-26-19, 01:06 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I would wait because there's a Korean company making Carplay retrofit for our cars, you won't get bigger screen but I only want Carplay nothing else.
They have working Apple Carplay module for Lexus IS and other models.. According to them it works with factory joypads to control Carplay menu. Supposed to come out end of April. They also have a few demo videos of other car brand working on Youtube. This is their site nvconnect.co.kr
Old 02-26-19, 01:30 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swaangin
This one already runs Apple CarPlay.
Old 02-26-19, 05:18 PM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I would wait because there's a Korean company making Carplay retrofit for our cars, you won't get bigger screen but I only want Carplay nothing else.
They have working Apple Carplay module for Lexus IS and other models.. According to them it works with factory joypads to control Carplay menu. Supposed to come out end of April. They also have a few demo videos of other car brand working on Youtube. This is their site nvconnect.co.kr
Look nice, but it's almost 550usd before shipping @@ idk if it is actually worth it over the bigger 10 inch screen. I would just wait and see what else they can offer.
Old 02-26-19, 05:26 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sonn
Look nice, but it's almost 550usd before shipping @@ idk if it is actually worth it over the bigger 10 inch screen. I would just wait and see what else they can offer.
I contacted the vendor they will have local US dealer that will sell them I’m not sure for how much. I only want CarPlay instead of replacing the whole screen and Android OS is not that useful to me. I don’t plan to watch YouTube or movies in the car anyway.
Old 02-27-19, 08:29 AM
JoA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LouisV
do you guys think this is worth the money?
Are you technical and willing to problem solve? Do your local distracted driving laws allow playing video? It's a nice big screen but it's basically an android tablet a few generations old in your vehicle. It doesn't always play well, it's crashed and froze in my Tundra about 4x in frigid temps over the winter so far, reliability will be questionable. I really like it but I've decided not to put one in my wife's NX. We have a Tundra Facebook group and members there have created videos and manuals, without those seasoned members helping, a lot more new buyers would be returning them. Not sure if there is a Lexus group with as much support. YMMV
Old 02-27-19, 09:56 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JoA
Are you technical and willing to problem solve? Do your local distracted driving laws allow playing video? It's a nice big screen but it's basically an android tablet a few generations old in your vehicle. It doesn't always play well, it's crashed and froze in my Tundra about 4x in frigid temps over the winter so far, reliability will be questionable. I really like it but I've decided not to put one in my wife's NX. We have a Tundra Facebook group and members there have created videos and manuals, without those seasoned members helping, a lot more new buyers would be returning them. Not sure if there is a Lexus group with as much support. YMMV
Hmm, after the initial software bugs got fixed, I haven’t had any issues. That low temp issue is weird (how long are we talking). I think if you don’t have a big screen already and you want more functionality, it’s definitely worth it if you get it for $750 like I did d:
Old 02-27-19, 10:09 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Electronics are not easy to make for cars especially silicon components. They need to meet all kinds of test in order to pass FCC, EMC, EMI, temperatures. I doubt any of the parts in China made components met those criteria.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca