IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 11:13 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tabjohitol
Does 4x4shop carry this unit anymore? I don't see it on their website.
https://4x4shop.ca/product-category/...it-navigation/
The following users liked this post:
tabjohitol (05-02-19)
Old 05-04-19, 07:51 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
In the immortal words of Futurama's Professor "Good News Everyone!". Before and after flashing the latest MCU:
I can confirm the newest MCU file has fixed up my back up video in full screen. Woohoo!!
Old 05-04-19, 09:48 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JWIS350
I can confirm the newest MCU file has fixed up my back up video in full screen. Woohoo!!
Great to hear! How do you have your clock set, any luck getting it to stay on a set time?

Also I'm really trying to push Ray to get English Units, Anyone else who wants them it would be good if you could also request it I think we would have a better chance.
Old 05-05-19, 05:46 AM
lance55
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

How is the tablet's performance holding up? Definitely interested in this, but a steep price for an older tablet. Just worried I'll one day get a software update that essentially slows it to a halt.
Old 05-05-19, 06:11 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by lance55
How is the tablet's performance holding up? Definitely interested in this, but a steep price for an older tablet. Just worried I'll one day get a software update that essentially slows it to a halt.
You don't HAVE to update the software if you don't want. Honestly even on android 5.0 the performance is good. Idk how the 7.1 update is performing as I haven't done it yet. The only time the screen is technically even receiving data is when I have my phone hooked up to it for Apple CarPlay so I'm not too worried about security flaws. It all depends on what all you want to do with it.
Old 05-05-19, 12:44 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lance55
I have updated to 7.1 and the performance is acceptable, it's only 2gb of RAM so that's a physical limitation that isn't going to change. Generally Android software updates can improve the performance of older devices unlike Apple updates.
Old 05-05-19, 12:54 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD3
I have updated to 7.1 and the performance is acceptable, it's only 2gb of RAM so that's a physical limitation that isn't going to change. Generally Android software updates can improve the performance of older devices unlike Apple updates.
Contrary to popular belief, the Apple updates technically slowed down devices due to battery performance. That was addressed and now Apple software updates like iOS 12 sped up ALL devices as far back as the iPhone 5.
Old 05-05-19, 01:24 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Flash5
Contrary to popular belief, the Apple updates technically slowed down devices due to battery performance. That was addressed and now Apple software updates like iOS 12 sped up ALL devices as far back as the iPhone 5.
I use an iphone X and have used android for many years as well. Apple admitted to purposely slowing down older devices and paid fines for it in Europe (as well as Samsung) which the EU called planned obsolescence.
Old 05-05-19, 11:05 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD3
I use an iphone X and have used android for many years as well. Apple admitted to purposely slowing down older devices and paid fines for it in Europe (as well as Samsung) which the EU called planned obsolescence.
Yeah but they gave an explanation that made sense. Their mistake was not disclosing it as soon as they started doing it. It made them look super sketch lol. Now whether the battery performance was the real reason they were doing this or they used that as a cover is a different story. Anyways, off topic now. I’m waiting on Ray to send me the 7.1 update.
Old 05-07-19, 03:41 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Flash5
Yeah but they gave an explanation that made sense. Their mistake was not disclosing it as soon as they started doing it. It made them look super sketch lol. Now whether the battery performance was the real reason they were doing this or they used that as a cover is a different story. Anyways, off topic now. I’m waiting on Ray to send me the 7.1 update.
All good man wasn't trying to get into a debate, all I was trying to say is that in the recent past android has worked specifically on better memory management (ram usage) which helps devices with lower ram run smoother. For example the Nexus 5 with 2gb of ram was helped a ton by the release of oreo (8.0) from nougat (7.1). So even if we eventually get an oreo update it should improve this units performance.
Old 05-07-19, 06:27 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Great to hear! How do you have your clock set, any luck getting it to stay on a set time?

Also I'm really trying to push Ray to get English Units, Anyone else who wants them it would be good if you could also request it I think we would have a better chance.
I've never noticed mine not being correct. (The time that is)

Time is correct as of now and considering it's been over a week since my battery woes were solved I'm going to keep an eye on it. I do know I have mine set to automatic (in the time settings) so it connects to my iPhone hotspot or the garage Wi-Fi.
Old 05-08-19, 02:57 PM
intuitech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Hi there, I am contemplating purchasing this unit for my IS but also wary of some of the reported issues and price. I would prefer an English version too, how do I submit my request to Ray?
Old 05-08-19, 03:00 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

All I'd want and be satisfied with is a 10.3" screen, but most seem concerned with all this Carplay and Apple app stuff. Being able to have an updated nav would be great and/or to use Googlemaps, but just get me a bigger screen, please.
Old 05-08-19, 05:10 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
All I'd want and be satisfied with is a 10.3" screen, but most seem concerned with all this Carplay and Apple app stuff. Being able to have an updated nav would be great and/or to use Googlemaps, but just get me a bigger screen, please.
I use Carplay on the daily, works great.
Old 05-09-19, 06:36 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by intuitech
Hi there, I am contemplating purchasing this unit for my IS but also wary of some of the reported issues and price. I would prefer an English version too, how do I submit my request to Ray?
This is my concern really, I can drop 600 for the total package knowing I am a tester and there will be issues that need to be resolved, however I cant bring myself to drop 900+ for a product that has issues like killing batteries and freezing. Yes I know they fix the issues as they come up but for that amount of money a need a polished product.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca