IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 10:52 AM
Will31894
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Do they provide an installation guide for the system or did anyone upload an installation video?
Old 05-14-19, 12:14 PM
Shaftplay
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it retain the haptic feedback, firm feel with responsiveness, and " target snap", of the OEM mouse button controller? (while making a selection on the screen, or simply just moving the mouse over the screen? The OEM one will "guide", or "snap" the mouse to an allowable location, kind of like autoaim for an FPS lol (only way I can describe it without actually knowing what this term is called). Does this unit retain that?
Old 05-15-19, 02:42 AM
Bahrovski
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaftplay
does it retain the haptic feedback, firm feel with responsiveness, and " target snap", of the OEM mouse button controller? (while making a selection on the screen, or simply just moving the mouse over the screen? The OEM one will "guide", or "snap" the mouse to an allowable location, kind of like autoaim for an FPS lol (only way I can describe it without actually knowing what this term is called). Does this unit retain that?
It does snap but it’s nowhere near the feeling of the OEM menus..

When you’re on the android side, the mouse only works left and right.. you have no up and down function or a mouse hovering function..

The majority of the menus will be navigated through touch and not the OEM controller.. especially CarPlay as it’s only touch and voice commands..
Old 05-15-19, 08:48 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All OEM functions work like normal on the Lexus side including the jog controller (haptic feedback/snapping/mouse etc.). There are only side gestures and touch and voice on the android side.
Old 05-15-19, 02:13 PM
Shaftplay
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bahrovski
It does snap but it’s nowhere near the feeling of the OEM menus..

When you’re on the android side, the mouse only works left and right.. you have no up and down function or a mouse hovering function..

The majority of the menus will be navigated through touch and not the OEM controller.. especially CarPlay as it’s only touch and voice commands..

so you have to reach up and touch that display screen each time you want to do something or make an input?
Old 05-15-19, 02:46 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

so you have to reach up and touch that display screen each time you want to do something or make an input?
If you are in Carplay, Android Auto, or an Android app yes.
Old 05-15-19, 05:50 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Will31894
Do they provide an installation guide for the system or did anyone upload an installation video?
There is no installation guide but if you have experience installing any other unit you'll find your way through it, there are several installation videos on youtube for our car to get anywhere you need to go (lookup beatsonic). Also if you read through this thread most questions that you would have during the installation have been answered. You can also ask the group if you need help.
Old 05-16-19, 07:24 AM
street277
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if someone covered this. Anyone find a root for this unit?
Old 05-16-19, 08:00 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow. that kind of sucks... interesting because Android has mouse capabilities built in. But it makes sense our mouse may not provide the correct input. Can you connect random bluetooth devices? You could test a small bluetooth mouse to see if it functions better. If it does theres a few different trackpads available on the market that could be added somewhere to make navigation easier than touch.
Old 05-16-19, 02:35 PM
utskiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am new here and have a question about the navi sd card.
Is there any good reason to need the sd card after installing this system.
I just bought a '14 IS350 and the sd card is missing... I would rather put the $250 toward this upgrade rather than an sd card.

Thanks for the help- looking forward to being a part of the community!
Old 05-16-19, 04:16 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by street277
Sorry if someone covered this. Anyone find a root for this unit?
Haven't heard of anyone trying, also I'm not sure what the benefits would be?

I've always rooted my android phones but that was to install custom roms and kernals as well as free wifi tether. Not sure any of those are applicable to this device. I wouldn't go building and installing custom software on this thing as it's tied into your cars ecosystem.
Old 05-16-19, 04:18 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Wow. that kind of sucks... interesting because Android has mouse capabilities built in. But it makes sense our mouse may not provide the correct input. Can you connect random bluetooth devices? You could test a small bluetooth mouse to see if it functions better. If it does theres a few different trackpads available on the market that could be added somewhere to make navigation easier than touch.
I suppose you could try, it's really not that far of a reach though...
Old 05-16-19, 04:23 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by utskiman
Hi, I am new here and have a question about the navi sd card.
Is there any good reason to need the sd card after installing this system.
I just bought a '14 IS350 and the sd card is missing... I would rather put the $250 toward this upgrade rather than an sd card.

Thanks for the help- looking forward to being a part of the community!
You would still need the SD card if you wanted to use the native lexus GPS as all lexus functions work properly. I never use the lexus navi though, I usually use Carplay with waze, gmaps, amaps (uses your phone GPS) or android google maps (uses the GPS included with the screen).
Old 05-16-19, 05:27 PM
street277
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Haven't heard of anyone trying, also I'm not sure what the benefits would be?

I've always rooted my android phones but that was to install custom roms and kernals as well as free wifi tether. Not sure any of those are applicable to this device. I wouldn't go building and installing custom software on this thing as it's tied into your cars ecosystem.
The only reason I want root is to use a USB modem dongle using the PPP app so I dont have to hotspot. Also would be nice to use tasker app to automate things. Most of the good tweaks require root.
Old 05-17-19, 09:12 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by street277
The only reason I want root is to use a USB modem dongle using the PPP app so I dont have to hotspot. Also would be nice to use tasker app to automate things. Most of the good tweaks require root.
MacroDroid is what I use to automate Hotspot on/off access on my phone. no root access required.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_US

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca