IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 07:00 AM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bahrovski
No I got it from 4x4shop.. The problem with Aliexpress is that I found several units on sale that fits the Lexus IS and looked virtually the same on the pictures and I had no idea which supplier to trust or what's the difference between the offered units.. So I though it's safer to go with 4x4shop even if it's a little bit more expensive..
I noticed that as well. I'm wondering if they all get it from the same supplier...even 4x4shop. But with 4x4shop you're expecting to get easier support and even then it seems like they're sending you over to engineers over in China to troubleshoot which the ones on Aliexpress is offering.

I would love to get one of these but I'm still on the fence
Old 05-30-19, 07:40 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by drwindow
I noticed that as well. I'm wondering if they all get it from the same supplier...even 4x4shop. But with 4x4shop you're expecting to get easier support and even then it seems like they're sending you over to engineers over in China to troubleshoot which the ones on Aliexpress is offering.

I would love to get one of these but I'm still on the fence
The ones on AliExpress don't seem to have much software support. I wouldn't really go with the AliExpress ones unless you're guaranteed proper customer support otherwise you'll be stuck with the issues if you have any. 4x4 support isn't the BEST, but they do actually try to figure out the issues when they are reported. They are just slow to respond sometimes or in my case with my recent messages I have gotten no response haha.
Old 05-31-19, 06:28 AM
tridentwon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock interface review on the 10.25

Originally Posted by dkotoric
Hi All,

I ordered today my 10.25 Inch Android head unit for my 2016 IS200T. I'm starting a thread as I will be writing a review along with shipping time about this item. I'm very excited to get this unit.

The unit was ordered on September 6th and received on September 11th.

My YouTube Walk-through/Review Video

Technical Information about the unit:
Price: $800
Running: Android 6.0
Screen Resolution: 1280x480
ROM: 32GB
RAM: 2GB

Installation/Walk-through/Review:
I was a little hesitant to spend $800 on a unit that claims to have all of the features and functions. I took a chance. Turns out the 2 GB RAM and 32 GB ROM is a great unit.

The install does require some knowledge of what you're doing, as with any head swap.
I initially thought all I had to do is unplug the screen and plug the new screen in.
This is not the case. The radio in the middle of the dash has to be removed.
3 wires from the back of the radio need to be unplugged and plugged into the included wiring kit and plugging in the male ends from the wiring kit back into the radio.
Next step involves running the rest of the wires from the back of the radio to the top to the back of the screen location.
You then have two white connectors that plug into the screen. One for power and one for the USB add-ons along with the blue connector that coming directly from the car.
Everything except backup camera seems to be working good.
I ran my GPS antenna underneath the glove box and had it mounted in the corner by the passenger side speaker and GPS locks in well and has strong signal.
USB cable has been ran through the same spot except into the glove box.
My backup camera does not work and I have spoken with 4x4 and they are sending me an additional cable that plugs into to the black connector that was previously plugged in to the back of the old screen and comes out with a AUX cable which will plug into the wiring kit. Hopefully this resolves the backup camera issue.
I know a couple questions have been mentioned regarding how the backup camera looks and while its not working there are setting options in the menu where it can be stretched to full screen or not.

So my thoughts after the first 24 hours are that I really like this unit and loving that fact when watching Youtube videos that I can use pinch to zoom to make all videos full screen which truly feels like a immersive experience. Another thing I'd like to mention is that if you just want a big screen in your car you never really have to use the android system. It will be just like before except a lot bigger. To switch between android and stock lexus system you can simply click the Media button and it will switch it back and fourth. Tapping on the screen like it was mentioned in their walk through is not really necessary. As far as the system it looks very pretty and its very responsive. Only lag I have noticed is when updating or installing new apps. I have downloaded my Dish Network to watch tv and it plays and looks great. The screen quality is quality is great as well and I find it a lot better than the original radio in the car. One thing to note when using the large screen with your stock Lexus system that everything is stretched. It doesn't really bother me and I probably wouldn't even notice it had this size of a screen been in there from the beginning but its just something you notice when going from a much smaller screen. Bluetooth works great as well as far as playing things from my phone but I'm mostly likely keeping my phone connected to my stock Bluetooth option so that I don't have to wire an additional microphone that's included in the box. It doesn't seem like when on the android system we can use the Microphone that's already built into the car. WiFi signal is solid and stays connected. Most of my usage so far has been the radio being tethered to my phone.

A few things that I don't like:
Inability to change information from Metric to US Standard
Volume not shown when switching in Android Interface even-though it does change the volume.

If you have any questions or if there is something specific you would like to see in the video please ask in the forum and I will answer and add it them to my review & video.

I want to go ahead and say thank you for this. I am very close to clicking the purchase button.
Can you please send me a view of the stock interface? Please!
Old 05-31-19, 02:13 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tridentwon
I want to go ahead and say thank you for this. I am very close to clicking the purchase button.
Can you please send me a view of the stock interface? Please!
His video shows the stock interface. My video does too.
Old 05-31-19, 03:35 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
His video shows the stock interface. My video does too.
Various "there's a glitch", "issue with audio", "only weird thing, it skips", and "that's one problem" comments, then "everything works fine."
Old 05-31-19, 11:41 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Various "there's a glitch", "issue with audio", "only weird thing, it skips", and "that's one problem" comments, then "everything works fine."
lol that’s old. It was before I got updates fixing all that which was like 2 weeks later.
Old 06-02-19, 02:48 PM
nezro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol that’s old. It was before I got updates fixing all that which was like 2 weeks later.
Is there some post/spreadsheet/etc that show what the current issues/workarounds/fixes are? I'm basically on the fence about getting a new IS and knowing that this solution is viable/solid would go a long way in helping me decide.
Old 06-03-19, 02:59 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nezro
Is there some post/spreadsheet/etc that show what the current issues/workarounds/fixes are? I'm basically on the fence about getting a new IS and knowing that this solution is viable/solid would go a long way in helping me decide.
By now the units sold by 4x4 Shop should be shipping with the latest fixes/software/etc.
Old 06-04-19, 07:07 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you stick to primarily the stock Lexus UI side and aren't too interested in the Android functionality, will this affect reliability at all? Does it use the standard Lexus computer on that side and only uses the 2gb and 4x4 processor when in the Android side? Or does the kit swap all functionality to the new processor/2gb combo from 4x4 with this kit? I'm really just interested in updating to the nicer screen and only occasional use on the other side.
Old 06-04-19, 07:24 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cliffhokie
If you stick to primarily the stock Lexus UI side and aren't too interested in the Android functionality, will this affect reliability at all? Does it use the standard Lexus computer on that side and only uses the 2gb and 4x4 processor when in the Android side? Or does the kit swap all functionality to the new processor/2gb combo from 4x4 with this kit? I'm really just interested in updating to the nicer screen and only occasional use on the other side.
Lexus oem interface is still processed through the oem unit. Only the android side is processed through the screens hardware. You can literally use the OEM side the whole time if you want.
The following users liked this post:
cliffhokie (06-05-19)
Old 06-04-19, 08:39 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Lexus oem interface is still processed through the oem unit. Only the android side is processed through the screens hardware. You can literally use the OEM side the whole time if you want.
So in effect, it would simply be a larger screen? Does that also bypass any potential glitches or is it still incorporating the new system into it or going through it? The only other thing I see of real useful benefit (for me) is to be able to use a traffic-based navigation like Google Maps.
Old 06-04-19, 08:51 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

So in effect, it would simply be a larger screen? Does that also bypass any potential glitches or is it still incorporating the new system into it or going through it? The only other thing I see of real useful benefit (for me) is to be able to use a traffic-based navigation like Google Maps.
Yeah, if you don't use the android side or Apple CarPlay through the dongle which runs through the android side, then all you did was pay money for a bigger screen haha. You pretty much would have 0 issues if you're staying on the Lexus interface. You do have to go into the android side to adjust settings for the screen though such as adjusting brightness as it doesn't auto dim it at night unfortunately. Basically what I do is I use the Lexus interface on the daily, but when I'm going somewhere new or on a long trip I fire up Apple CarPlay to use Google Maps.
Old 06-04-19, 08:54 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Yeah, if you don't use the android side or Apple CarPlay through the dongle which runs through the android side, then all you did was pay money for a bigger screen haha. You pretty much would have 0 issues if you're staying on the Lexus interface. You do have to go into the android side to adjust settings for the screen though such as adjusting brightness as it doesn't auto dim it at night unfortunately. Basically what I do is I use the Lexus interface on the daily, but when I'm going somewhere new or on a long trip I fire up Apple CarPlay to use Google Maps.
Right, sounds like what I'd do. So they aren't integrated together, you need to "switch" between the two environments? Not possible to have a "shortcut" of sorts for example the Google Maps or other apps, you must exit completely from the Lexus interface? What happens to audio then, will the new interface take over control over whatever media/radio/etc. you are using and vice versa when you return to Lexus?
Old 06-04-19, 11:49 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My screen auto dims when my lights turn on...
Old 06-05-19, 01:11 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Right, sounds like what I'd do. So they aren't integrated together, you need to "switch" between the two environments? Not possible to have a "shortcut" of sorts for example the Google Maps or other apps, you must exit completely from the Lexus interface? What happens to audio then, will the new interface take over control over whatever media/radio/etc. you are using and vice versa when you return to Lexus?
The videos show exactly how it works they are two separate interfaces so when you switch to one the other is still running they don’t close each other out. For example, if I have music playing through Bluetooth in the Lexus oem side and I switch the screen to android mode the music keeps playing etc because remember that the oem radio unit is still functioning just the screen is showing android mode now. It’s somewhat like if I have my Apple TV on and my Xbox one on and I switch between the two nothing gets closed out I’m simply switching between the two tv wise. If you want to play music through the android side you have to put the audio mode on the Lexus side to AUX or Media because that’s how the android unit sends the music to the OEM speakers. Switching between Lexus and Android interfaces is super fast it’s not like they reboot every time you switch.
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (06-05-19)

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca