IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 09:09 AM
Gal
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah i feel the same.
btw how you're going to handle with the external mic?
Old 11-26-19, 09:27 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Gal
yeah i feel the same.
btw how you're going to handle with the external mic?
I don't use voice commands all that often, and even if/when I do + Bluetooth phone calls, from my understanding with this unit you can choose to route phone calls through your factory system, which will use the stock mic in the car, or if you choose the android unit to handle the calls, that's where an external mic would be needed. I will just do anything voice related through the stock system.

If for some reason I find I do not like that, then I will just buy a tiny mic and install it, but pretty much everyone I've heard of having this unit use the stock system for voice calls and commands.
Old 11-26-19, 09:36 AM
Gal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whoismiked
I don't use voice commands all that often, and even if/when I do + Bluetooth phone calls, from my understanding with this unit you can choose to route phone calls through your factory system, which will use the stock mic in the car, or if you choose the android unit to handle the calls, that's where an external mic would be needed. I will just do anything voice related through the stock system.

If for some reason I find I do not like that, then I will just buy a tiny mic and install it, but pretty much everyone I've heard of having this unit use the stock system for voice calls and commands.
yeah i get it, i was wondering about using the factory system but i've no idea how its going to work, i mean can i make the call via carplay but it will actually transfer the audio via the bt function of the factory unit?
beside that i also never used voice command(also in my other car that has factory carplay) but because the car screen is so far and carplay can be controlled only by the touch screen i was thinking about using Siri for cretin actions.
i purchased an extra harness so i'll try to modify it that it will use the factory mic also in the android unit, i'm pretty sure about what i'm about to do, but if someone here has more knowledge then me i will appreciate the help.
Old 11-26-19, 09:45 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gal
the car screen is so far and carplay can be controlled only by the touch screen .
Can't carplay function be controlled with your phone? I'm honestly asking as I am new to carplay.
Old 11-26-19, 09:53 AM
Gal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Can't carplay function be controlled with your phone? I'm honestly asking as I am new to carplay.
yeah ofc its possible, and its even better with ios 13, but i don't want to touch my phone while i'm driving(it's around 300$ fine in Israel), my phone is usually always under the arm rest
Old 11-26-19, 09:59 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gal
yeah ofc its possible, and its even better with ios 13, but i don't want to touch my phone while i'm driving(it's around 300$ fine in Israel), my phone is usually always under the arm rest
Ah, ok that makes sense.

I don't like to mess with my phone much when driving, but I do have mine mounted in sight, so a quick glance / press isn't too bad for me.
Old 11-26-19, 12:53 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I put the aftermarket microphone behind the screen in the little gap that is left in the left back corner of the unit. I’ll take a picture when I can. It’s super hidden and it works pretty well, but as someone else stated it’s hardly used because most of us stick to the OEM unit to route calls, etc.
Old 11-26-19, 01:46 PM
Gal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
I put the aftermarket microphone behind the screen in the little gap that is left in the left back corner of the unit. I’ll take a picture when I can. It’s super hidden and it works pretty well, but as someone else stated it’s hardly used because most of us stick to the OEM unit to route calls, etc.
if you would take a pic that would really be great, i really don't want to see the mic that's my problem, if someone can show a video of the call routing in action(via carplay) that would be great.
i'm still figuring out what to do, i think anyway ill try to mode the harness that ill be able to use the factory mic with the both units.
Old 11-26-19, 02:47 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2 Ram Unit v 4 Ram Unit Harness

Anyone know if the new version of the unit uses the same harness/connections in the back of the screen?
Old 11-26-19, 09:47 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Anyone know if the new version of the unit uses the same harness/connections in the back of the screen?
Just got pics from China supplier I'm looking at

Old 11-27-19, 08:41 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Droth
Just got pics from China supplier I'm looking at

Looks a bit different, was hoping if I upgraded I could just replace the screen without having to rip the car apart again. Maybe I'll call and ask Fred....

Old 11-27-19, 11:48 AM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I was hoping same thing just a screen change from the first series android unit, but it looks like a different harness reqd
Old 11-27-19, 12:26 PM
KDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if we will be able to get the metric to imperial and C to F conversion on this new screen. Has anyone asked? That was the only complaint about the previous model, right?

This higher resolution screen is exciting. I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the dash cover around the push button ignition start so that it doesn't block the screen. Did anyone do that with the previous model screen?
Old 11-27-19, 12:55 PM
Gal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KDiesel
I wonder if we will be able to get the metric to imperial and C to F conversion on this new screen. Has anyone asked? That was the only complaint about the previous model, right?

This higher resolution screen is exciting. I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the dash cover around the push button ignition start so that it doesn't block the screen. Did anyone do that with the previous model screen?
Does someone has the part number? I wonder how much should this part cost? (New/used in perfect condition)
Old 11-27-19, 03:35 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gal
because the car screen is so far and carplay can be controlled only by the touch screen i was thinking about using Siri for cretin actions.
carplay can only be controlled with the touch screen? I thought the joystick can control it?

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca