IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 09:12 PM
Gal
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
carplay can only be controlled with the touch screen? I thought the joystick can control it?
yeah, this is really annoying, the reason it’s working like this it’s because it’s using a Chinese CarPlay adapter(the same everyone has) and an android app which like all the apps that doesn’t come pre installed on the unit will require the touch screen function(it’s a tablet in the end of the day).

i really don’t get why some companies doesn’t work together, there is no one perfect solution.
this unit gives the option of having a high resolution big screen and wireless CarPlay, but requires you to use the touch screen and having an external mic.

beat-sonic kit for example allowing you to use the the native joystick and using the factory mic but you must use cable all the time and to stay with the super small low quality factory screen.
Old 11-28-19, 01:57 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

On the product description it states there is a built in mic (I don't know if the old model had this?) and also supports an external mic. Did the original unit have this built in mic? Maybe this built in mic is good enough to use as the mic for calls and such? (Tablet mics usually are not too bad)

Last edited by whoismiked; 11-28-19 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-28-19, 02:06 AM
Gal
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
On the product description it states there is a built in mic (I don't know if the old model had this?) and also supports an external mic. Did the original unit have this built in mic? Maybe this built in mic is good enough to use as the mic for calls and such? (Tablet mics usually are not too bad)

Maybe you’re right, we will have to check it, even though I don’t really count on it, I don’t know why they don’t provide it, it’s just soldering an aux cable to one of the harnesses
Old 11-28-19, 11:27 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I put the aftermarket microphone behind the screen in the little gap that is left in the left back corner of the unit. I’ll take a picture when I can. It’s super hidden and it works pretty well, but as someone else stated it’s hardly used because most of us stick to the OEM unit to route calls, etc.
10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca-photo120.jpg

Exactly where mine is. As flash stated, most use the OEM unit to route calls.
Old 11-28-19, 03:54 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JWIS350
Attachment 479357

Did that mic come with the unit?
Old 11-28-19, 03:56 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It was included.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (11-28-19)
Old 11-30-19, 01:25 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JWIS350
Attachment 479357

You have the mic and the aftermarket GPS antenna exactly where I have mine lol. Did you route the GPS antenna wire through the front center speaker? Or did you route it through the window edges etc?
Old 12-01-19, 06:46 PM
Highfather
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the mic and the aftermarket GPS antenna exactly where I have mine lol. Did you route the GPS antenna wire through the front center speaker? Or did you route it through the window edges etc?
i ended up routing mine through the a pillar on the driver side. I’d say it’s a better overall position for usability and it’s fairly subtle. Did this a while back for a GTA car kit I installed in my 06 gs. Haven’t used the mic though it is garbage after all.
Old 12-01-19, 06:52 PM
Highfather
10th Gear

Default CarPlay

So going to throw this question out in the open, I contacted ray who helped me update my system to 7.1 and he also gave me an updated CarPlay to resolve my “overheating/constant resetting of the screen” issue and my CarPlay constantly disconnecting to the point where it stopped all together. The question I have is however, my CarPlay connects just fine now and is working flawlessly, along with the entire system for that matter, fingers crossed. God forbid any more overheating or battery drain from what I’ve heard. However my CarPlay doesn’t even play sound through the speakers. I’m assuming it uses either the mic included in the kit or my phone because when I use the “messages” app on CarPlay it records what I say perfectly but i am unable to read messages as CarPlay usually reads it to you, or listen to music etc. I’m happy the thing works now, but it’s just one thing that bugs me. I’m aware that some people on this thread have had audio distortion issues to the point where they decided using factory bt was better but I want to atleast get it to work for starters. i am using factory Bt with CarPlay and when I skip tracks using steering control it skips two songs probably cause of the fact it’s connected to two systems. Sorry for the long message.

Last edited by Highfather; 12-01-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 10:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Highfather
i ended up routing mine through the a pillar on the driver side. I’d say it’s a better overall position for usability and it’s fairly subtle. Did this a while back for a GTA car kit I installed in my 06 gs. Haven’t used the mic though it is garbage after all.
I just routed it through the center speaker it was the path of least resistance and it didn’t really affect anything, I was just curious though.
Old 12-01-19, 10:09 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

So going to throw this question out in the open, I contacted ray who helped me update my system to 7.1 and he also gave me an updated CarPlay to resolve my “overheating/constant resetting of the screen” issue and my CarPlay constantly disconnecting to the point where it stopped all together. The question I have is however, my CarPlay connects just fine now and is working flawlessly, along with the entire system for that matter, fingers crossed. God forbid any more overheating or battery drain from what I’ve heard. However my CarPlay doesn’t even play sound through the speakers. I’m assuming it uses either the mic included in the kit or my phone because when I use the “messages” app on CarPlay it records what I say perfectly but i am unable to read messages as CarPlay usually reads it to you, or listen to music etc. I’m happy the thing works now, but it’s just one thing that bugs me. I’m aware that some people on this thread have had audio distortion issues to the point where they decided using factory bt was better but I want to atleast get it to work for starters. i am using factory Bt with CarPlay and when I skip tracks using steering control it skips two songs probably cause of the fact it’s connected to two systems. Sorry for the long message.
I’ve had the unit a whole year and to this day even though I’m on Android 7.1 and with the latest update from 4x4 etc, I still have to do the BT with CarPlay and it skips 2 songs for me as well. I had mentioned the 2 song skip since last year and I just learned to live with it. I never was able to figure out the sound issues, idk why through aux it sounds so bad.
Old 12-02-19, 05:05 AM
Highfather
10th Gear

I’ve had the unit a whole year and to this day even though I’m on Android 7.1 and with the latest update from 4x4 etc, I still have to do the BT with CarPlay and it skips 2 songs for me as well. I had mentioned the 2 song skip since last year and I just learned to live with it. I never was able to figure out the sound issues, idk why through aux it sounds so bad.
that isn’t a deal breaker I suppose, I just wish I could use the messages app and actually have sound come through the CarPlay mode. It’s frustrating having it actually be fully functioning aside from being able to read navigation directions or the messages I get.
Old 12-02-19, 06:47 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

that isn’t a deal breaker I suppose, I just wish I could use the messages app and actually have sound come through the CarPlay mode. It’s frustrating having it actually be fully functioning aside from being able to read navigation directions or the messages I get.
Yeah, I really wish the aux route would sound just as good as stock oem sound output. It would have made the CarPlay functionality perfect. I can't complain too much though since this unit has made the car's functionality way better than stock.
The following users liked this post:
Highfather (12-02-19)
Old 12-02-19, 04:32 PM
Highfather
10th Gear

Yeah, I really wish the aux route would sound just as good as stock oem sound output. It would have made the CarPlay functionality perfect. I can't complain too much though since this unit has made the car's functionality way better than stock.
Ray got back to me relatively quick apologizing profusely for the late reply. Considering they close on the weekend and he messaged in the afternoon I obviously don't mind but to get to the point I elaborated on what my issue was and immediately after sending my message, I realized I didn't alter the output of the "media" button. Turns out there was no issue with the CarPlay sound output haha, I'm just an idiot. You were right about the CarPlay sound being lack luster in comparison to the stock radio, the sound is being routed from a tablet to a crappy little dongle and the sound card is probably not the greatest. That does get me wondering whether installing a usb sound card would resolve this issue. However my dongle has the optional wireless CarPlay on it. I tried it out, it does spaz out a little at first disconnecting and reconnecting once, but once it connects its pretty golden. For some reason the sound does sound significantly better through bluetooth and I can say im pretty ecstatic with the result. All in all I think this unit was totally a worthwhile upgrade and would definitely feel comfortable recommending it to others. A bit pricey but I have no issues whatsoever any longer and its pretty snappy for what it is.
Old 12-03-19, 04:01 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Ray got back to me relatively quick apologizing profusely for the late reply. Considering they close on the weekend and he messaged in the afternoon I obviously don't mind but to get to the point I elaborated on what my issue was and immediately after sending my message, I realized I didn't alter the output of the "media" button. Turns out there was no issue with the CarPlay sound output haha, I'm just an idiot. You were right about the CarPlay sound being lack luster in comparison to the stock radio, the sound is being routed from a tablet to a crappy little dongle and the sound card is probably not the greatest. That does get me wondering whether installing a usb sound card would resolve this issue. However my dongle has the optional wireless CarPlay on it. I tried it out, it does spaz out a little at first disconnecting and reconnecting once, but once it connects its pretty golden. For some reason the sound does sound significantly better through bluetooth and I can say im pretty ecstatic with the result. All in all I think this unit was totally a worthwhile upgrade and would definitely feel comfortable recommending it to others. A bit pricey but I have no issues whatsoever any longer and its pretty snappy for what it is.
Yeah I definitely recommend this upgrade to anybody who wants Apple CarPlay and those who don’t have the 10” screen. Using Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay together is a little bit of a pain but totally worth it and just a 1st world problem. I was glad I got this unit when they were first offering it since I got a mega deal just paid like $700 total for everything including the dongle.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca