IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 05:45 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
Do you have futures like split screen? Can you open two apps on the screen at the same time?

My HU (previous version - 2GB, CortexA53/8Core 1.4GHz+) starts over a minute. This new version of the device is much faster?
The new unit does not have dual screen feature.

The unit does take quite a while to boot up. Once it's booted it's snappy and fast, but the load time on bootup is at least a minute, so to answer your question, the 'start' time is not faster.
The following users liked this post:
sebaw (12-10-19)
Old 12-10-19, 06:38 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
The new unit does not have dual screen feature.

The unit does take quite a while to boot up. Once it's booted it's snappy and fast, but the load time on bootup is at least a minute, so to answer your question, the 'start' time is not faster.
This kinda points to the fact that it is not really android 9.0 then... they might have hacked the android version number.

Found this:

Old 12-10-19, 07:03 AM
suginathan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalr3
This kinda points to the fact that it is not really android 9.0 then... they might have hacked the android version number.

Found this:
Does this mean this can't be upgraded to Android 9? Is there something wrong with the unit from Alibaba?
Old 12-10-19, 07:13 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suginathan
Does this mean this can't be upgraded to Android 9? Is there something wrong with the unit from Alibaba?
I wouldn't say there is something wrong, just not as advertised. But it is very misleading of them to state it is Android 9 and not provide android 9. Android 9 (Pie) provides numerous feature and security enhancements (such as split screen). It is also worrying that the boot up time is so slow. The 2GB/32GB unit I have in my NX just now boots up in about 30 seconds, and I thought that was slow!

Perhaps you can try another app such as this one? it looks to give a more specific version number than CPU-Z
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ftware.andTest

Old 12-10-19, 07:47 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Also a quick Google of the Kernel version from the above screenshots, it looks like Kernel 3.18.35+ is also from Android 7.0 Nougat..

However after googling more relating to the API level (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ndroid-version), it seems that several versions of Android can have the same API level.

So quite confused now - they must've just used old API and Kernel but updated the android version? (It could be so that it supported legacy hardware and/or the launcher/other proprietary apps that the chinese manufacturer added.

(I'm not an Android developer so alot of this for me is guesswork!)

If it doesn't have any of these features: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/new-features-android-pie/
Then it's probably not 9.0

Last edited by mcalr3; 12-10-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 08:53 AM
suginathan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a way to update the unit from Alibaba to Android 9, same as the 4x4shop unit?
Old 12-10-19, 09:04 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Found this:

Be aware that such features such as split screen is not universal with all apk applications and also needs to be added to the application API to allow such functions to work. It isnt 100% reliant on the android OS.
Old 12-10-19, 09:08 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suginathan
Is there a way to update the unit from Alibaba to Android 9, same as the 4x4shop unit?
The 4x4shop one is showing exact same version as the alibaba one...
The following users liked this post:
suginathan (12-10-19)
Old 12-10-19, 11:23 AM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Thankyou very much for providing these screenshots. Gives me confidence to buy same unit for my lexus NX.
Can you confirm factory DAB radio is working as normal?
Also the behaviour of the screen brightness? is it linked to car headlights?
Factory radio, nav etc appear to work fine, will check brightness link to lights
Old 12-10-19, 12:08 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

I'll try and get a pic of the network settings the next time I am at home and have access to my IS (it's not my daily),
But I did not connect mt 4G Antenna either! Should we connect it? When I was unboxing and installing I assumed the 4G antenna would only be used if you paid for a monthly cellular service, like an ipad with cellular data. I did not think the 4G antenna provided free 4G?!!! If that is the case I need to go back and install it.

I never really noticed what my bars for the connection were, so I can't comment on that until I go look again, but I have not had a single disconnect issue yet. Maybe because my phone is mounted in sight and your phone is in the center console? Or maybe the 4G antenna would help?

So is the 4G signal free?!?
If you remove the back panel you'll see there is a SIM card slot on mainboard
Old 12-10-19, 12:10 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Droth
If you remove the back panel you'll see there is a SIM card slot on mainboard
Ok, so the 4G does require a cellular plan? and if not interested in that, then the 4G antenna serves no purpose and does not need to be installed, right?
Old 12-10-19, 01:02 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Ok, so the 4G does require a cellular plan? and if not interested in that, then the 4G antenna serves no purpose and does not need to be installed, right?
Would require cell plan. Unsure if antenna serves any other purpose (I have it connected), I guess if wifi works without it then it's not needed?
Old 12-10-19, 01:48 PM
KDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone with the new 720p unit tried using Android Auto? I think it said there's not a wireless option, which I'm ok with. Wondering if the audio is ok for phone calls, google maps, Spotify etc
Old 12-10-19, 03:23 PM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KDiesel
Has anyone with the new 720p unit tried using Android Auto? I think it said there's not a wireless option, which I'm ok with. Wondering if the audio is ok for phone calls, google maps, Spotify etc
You are better off using Headunit Reloaded app available on the play store or XDA labs app. Costs $5USD but is customizable and supports wireless android auto too. Its still in active development too.
Old 12-10-19, 03:24 PM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Be aware that such features such as split screen is not universal with all apk applications and also needs to be added to the application API to allow such functions to work. It isnt 100% reliant on the android OS.
So you are saying that theres a good reason that they might be using old API and kernel version on android 9.0?

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca