10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 07:37 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
20 seconds?
My HU (similar 8-core processor, 2GB RAM) is more than a minute. I mean time when I can play music, open the map.
I was referring to the new model (4GB RAM), the seller on Alibaba (Navihua) told me the startup time was 20 seconds.
Originally Posted by whoismiked
My unit is the new model and it also has a 1 minute boot time, not even close to 20 seconds I can promise you that. I actually timed it last night and it was like 58ish seconds.

Good news is the backup cam will work immediately, but the Android OS takes about a minutes to load.

Also noticed the unit might have some kind of small power cell or internal battery because when I remote start my car, then come open the door, as we all know with lexus the car shuts off when opening the door, but when I get in and start it back up my Andriod unit is at the home screen, so it doesn't have to reboot even though the car shuts off for about a minute. Or maybe, now that I am thinking about it, it prolly has nothing to do with the unit and when the car shuts off when opening the door it leaves power to accessories which is why it still on?

Yeah a minute of boot time is pretty long in todays day of tech. Obviously I wish it booted faster but it doesn't bother me that much since the new unit is 1,000 times better than stock, the extra 50 seconds or so of load time is worth it to me.
You are right about the screen making a big difference compared to stock. The stock interface is pretty poor (although I actually find it easier to use than iDrive, albeit way more basic).
I am just trying to weigh up the pros of having the new 1080p screen and 4GB ram compared to the 2GB ram one (which starts in about 30-40 seconds), considering I don't know if I'd get any interest from selling the old one on ebay!
Old 12-12-19, 07:54 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalr3
You are right about the screen making a big difference compared to stock. The stock interface is pretty poor (although I actually find it easier to use than iDrive, albeit way more basic).
I am just trying to weigh up the pros of having the new 1080p screen and 4GB ram compared to the 2GB ram one (which starts in about 30-40 seconds), considering I don't know if I'd get any interest from selling the old one on ebay!
Ah, I see. Yeah, anyone with the stock unit this is a massive upgrade. If you already own the older model, it 'might' not be worth the $ to upgrade, but since I did not own the old one I can't directly compare them. The new unit is obviously better, but how much better? maybe not a lot, and probably not enough to justify the cost if you already have an Android unit.
Old 12-12-19, 08:24 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Ah, I see. Yeah, anyone with the stock unit this is a massive upgrade. If you already own the older model, it 'might' not be worth the $ to upgrade, but since I did not own the old one I can't directly compare them. The new unit is obviously better, but how much better? maybe not a lot, and probably not enough to justify the cost if you already have an Android unit.
Yeah but the fact I was lucky to actually get a full refund on the older one by Aliexpress as they stepped in and solved the dispute in my favour because the seller (Navifly/Mekede) are advertising their 2GB/32GB units as having 1920x720 screens and android 9.0, which they clearly aren't. So hence have a free android headunit

I might have been happy to keep it if the stock DAB was working properly - I think they gave me a faulty wiring harness because as soon as I unplug the stock black plug from behind the radio and plug the new wiring harness inline, the DAB closes 99% of the signal meaning I can only get like 1 DAB station. I'm sure there's a short circuit somewhere but I can't find a wiring diagram of the CD/Radio power/DAB antennae loom to try and fix it myself..

Last edited by mcalr3; 12-12-19 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-12-19, 08:54 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I’m pretty content with the original 4x4 Shop one tbh. I got the screen and the Apple CarPlay dongle for $700. It was when they were first picking up steam on here.
Old 12-12-19, 04:23 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I’m pretty content with the original 4x4 Shop one tbh. I got the screen and the Apple CarPlay dongle for $700. It was when they were first picking up steam on here.
Same here, I'm pretty happy with my OG unit. I have the Carlinkit wireless Carplay and it works perfect, get in my car and loads up automatically with my phone in the pocket. I almost exclusively use Carplay all the time except for when I want to watch a game and I'm stuck in traffic so ill use the android side for sling tv, etc. Probably wont upgrade unless this unit bites the dust (knocks on wood). Good to know the new unit doesn't require a different harness if I decide to upgrade in the future though.
Old 12-12-19, 06:19 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone know a shop in soCal that would know how to install this? I'm located in OC but willing to go to LA or SD.
Old 12-13-19, 09:51 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
Does anyone know a shop in soCal that would know how to install this? I'm located in OC but willing to go to LA or SD.
Any shop that can install stereos should be able to do it. I’m no automotive stereo system guru and I was able to figure it out so I’m 100% sure they would be able to figure it out no problem.
Old 12-17-19, 04:55 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder if this wireless Carplay solution w/ gesture control and **** would allow users of this Android head unit to control Carplay? It shows the ability to rotate through the Icons with the ****. This could be an option instead of having to touch the screen. I definitely am not a fan of the gesture control (so don't think I'd even connect that), and I don't like the ****'s visual design, but I am thinking function over fashion to control Carplay.

I saw in a YouTube video that you have to download the Zbox app and set-up only one time, then it automatically connects after that. I ordered a wireless Carplay dongle from Alibaba along with my new Android head unit...but would've tried this if I'd seen it before. It's only $68 shipped and the unit's design looks of good quality.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...26f93df4T68uru

I've sent an inquiry with the following questions:

- Does this allow all Android HUs to be controlled by the ****? Basically does the **** highlight each of the icons?
- Can the **** be detached from the strap and mounted elsewhere (i.e. center console)
- Does the **** require a battery to function?

I can see this being mounted somewhere on the center console if the strap can be removed (at the least maybe it can be cleanly cut off).
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (12-17-19)
Old 12-24-19, 02:03 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

I took the plunge and ordered the 1920x720 Android 9.0 screen from Navihua on Alibaba. Paid 575USD including shipping to UK. Had to pay £26 UK customs fee to DHL on arrival.

I wouldn't say it is wholly worth the money but it at least feels much better than the previous unit. This one has much better build quality, the plastic its made of feels better quality and the screen is great quality and does not have any light bleed.
The "blue light filter" on the screen also helps with visibility in bright daylight however it does detract a bit from the clarity of the screen - a bit like those "matt effect" screen protectors you used to get for ipad that take away from the clarity of the screen.

The system is not without some bugs, and also on this one the (prev/next) steering wheel buttons do not work in android, only the volume keys. I no longer have the issue with DAB no longer working though, it works flawlessly.

I primarily use it with the Headunit Reloaded for Android Auto app. It works great, but for some reason it won't allow me to set my phone as the default USB device when it is plugged in. Every time I plug my phone it is keeps asking for permissions. I didn't have this problem with the old 5.1.1 unit. May be a bug with the app but I also bought one of those Garlinkit carplay/android auto dongles from Amazon which did not keep prompting me to set default USB device. I am returning that to Amazon though because the android auto image is all stretched out. If anyone knows of another app other than autokit.apk to use with these carplay dongles, please let me know!

Also the "Android 9.0" on the new unit, although very convincing (if you go into android settings - you'll need an app to allow you to get there - and keep tapping on android version, it does display the android pie easter egg), I don't think it is truly android 9.0 and I think the manufacturer has just done a good job of faking the android version.

I will do a video review in a couple of weeks but if anyone has any questions about this Navihua unit (or the new unit from 4x4shop.ca (they are the same)... please let me know!

Old 12-24-19, 06:33 PM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know how to modify the eq to make it sound better? It aounds like **** when liatel through the androis side. Specially the bass and drop.
Old 12-26-19, 11:41 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

There seem to be a few different versions of this new joystick model as the one I received from NaviHua via Alibaba has a different back compared to the others on this thread. The placement of the connectors are different. It came really well packed in soft styrofoam.

I did get a significant discount by contacting them before ordering as Droth suggested. And I also got a wireless carplay dongle at a discount and they packed it inside. I am tempted to get that other wheel device I posted to see if that’s more comfortable than reaching to the screen - but will see.

And there are alot of extra wires capped off. I used Google translate and some of it makes sense but a lot doesn’t.

I’m about to start the install. Wish me luck!
Old 12-26-19, 06:34 PM
Sonn
Driver

Originally Posted by mcalr3
I took the plunge and ordered the 1920x720 Android 9.0 screen from Navihua on Alibaba. Paid 575USD including shipping to UK. Had to pay £26 UK customs fee to DHL on arrival.

I wouldn't say it is wholly worth the money but it at least feels much better than the previous unit. This one has much better build quality, the plastic its made of feels better quality and the screen is great quality and does not have any light bleed.
The "blue light filter" on the screen also helps with visibility in bright daylight however it does detract a bit from the clarity of the screen - a bit like those "matt effect" screen protectors you used to get for ipad that take away from the clarity of the screen.

The system is not without some bugs, and also on this one the (prev/next) steering wheel buttons do not work in android, only the volume keys. I no longer have the issue with DAB no longer working though, it works flawlessly.

I primarily use it with the Headunit Reloaded for Android Auto app. It works great, but for some reason it won't allow me to set my phone as the default USB device when it is plugged in. Every time I plug my phone it is keeps asking for permissions. I didn't have this problem with the old 5.1.1 unit. May be a bug with the app but I also bought one of those Garlinkit carplay/android auto dongles from Amazon which did not keep prompting me to set default USB device. I am returning that to Amazon though because the android auto image is all stretched out. If anyone knows of another app other than autokit.apk to use with these carplay dongles, please let me know!

Also the "Android 9.0" on the new unit, although very convincing (if you go into android settings - you'll need an app to allow you to get there - and keep tapping on android version, it does display the android pie easter egg), I don't think it is truly android 9.0 and I think the manufacturer has just done a good job of faking the android version.

I will do a video review in a couple of weeks but if anyone has any questions about this Navihua unit (or the new unit from 4x4shop.ca (they are the same)... please let me know!

Can you play 720p video on YouTube? I check with seller on Alibaba that said there is no 720p for 10.2 inch screen only the 12 inch one has it.
Old 12-27-19, 01:29 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Quick observations from using it a few minutes - will update this once I figure out where tweaks are located and where things are: updated comments after spending about 3 hours total:

- Lexus Enform is missing: I can’t seem to find the Enform any more. I can get the sound menu to display, but there’s no menu on the Home Page to take me to Enform. Anyone know how? Update: In “FM” setting.

- When Carplay works, it looks and runs fantastic. However, I can’t seem to get audio to play all the time. Carplay runs but no audio comes out. I’m sure it can be fixed - just not sure what’s causing it. Update: Carplay is working, but I think because I am running wireless Carplay, there were conflicts with multiple BT and WiFi connections. I had to disconnect the Android and Lexus connections and only connect to wireless Carplay unit.

- Wireless Carplay dongle: I can’t get the wireless carplay to work so am running it hardwired. The instructions in the box were not correct. Instructions were actually on the outside of the box - needed to download the app via QR. Seller said I only need to connect via BT to get wireless carplay. I thought But I needed to connect to the dongle’s WiFi hotspot. Update: this is great when it auto-connects. But it’s inconsistent. Sometimes it starts fine, other times I have to go into the phone’s WiFi or BT setting to choose the dongle. It’s a bit annoying.

- MPH and F temperature I think these are possibly fake. Although the unit names change, the actual numbers still seem to be in KM/C. Also, the temp display on the side doesn’t really work well. You can’t touch it to change anything and the temp doesn’t display. Will check more. Update: Okay these are mostly real. But the temp numbers don’t work - only displays Hi/Lo. Also, when I switch to the OEM Lexus menu, the side menu appears in Metric even though I have Standard selected.

- Sound: I hear a minor whining noise (interference) if I’m idling since it’s quieter. I can’t find a balance/fader setting. Not sure if the audio is good tbh. It seems if it’s running hardwired, quality is bad with some static. Using BT it seems good. Update: Fixed the whining noise by adjusting the screen brightness.

- Main Menu / Joystick is super sensitive and moves too fast. Difficult to pick the icons as it skips over everything. Hoping there’s a setting that can be adjusted. Update: When connected to Carplay, the Home and Menu buttons allow you to cycle the Carplay screens between Nav, Audio and “combined” modes. This is helpful.

- Reverse camera is fuzzy: only checked at night, but the resolution is a bit fuzzy - it’s no where near as sharp as the original screen (which I thought was pretty good). I guess the new hires screen doesn’t work well with the lo-res camera. it seems to support bumper sensors and 360 cameras as the view shows the car with these, but since I have an F-Sport and in the US, My car isn’t equipped with those features. There are a few Reverse Camera settings, but I don’t see a setting to adjust the screen size. will see how daytime looks and also try to find a setting.

- Hardware missing bracket mounting point: I am not sure if mine is “defective” as the part where you screw in the bracket doesn’t exist. I am in comms with the seller about this. For now the screen isn’t locked in. I think an option is for me to take the yellow snap-in brackets from the OEM screen and add it to the new one. Update: Seller insisted the bracket fits but it’s impossible. Yellow clips work to hold it, but due to how they clip into the OEM screen, removing them required two screwdrivers to leverage and pry. Once removed they snapped in easily to the new unit and hold the screen to the dash.

- Door Open sensor pops up anywhere: If you open any door, an overhead image of a car pops up right on top of the android menus. It’s not even in a box - rather it’s a shape of a car placed right on top of the icons. It’s a bit weird and shows it’s not polished. Update: Fixed from a hint from Droth: setting for doors is in settings, system, factory pattern (password is 666666). When in these settings swipe from bottom left corner to get back, home buttons etc

Overall, I do love the Carplay functionality and the massive size of the screen. It makes the car interior really pop and modernizes it.

But there are bugs - hopefully I can get them ironed out soon. Maybe I need a new apk or something.

More Observations (1/2/20)

Boot-up Time: This is a bit long. 30-60 seconds I think. Add this with the Carplay connection (“trying to connect”) and it could be a long time before it’s up and running. Strangely when I first plugged in to test it, the boot up was instant. It didn’t go thru the fancy animated hi-res “Lexus” logo sequence. It’s bearable but be forewarned it’s slow.

Phone calls: I need to play with this more, but this doesn’t work well for me. The steering wheel controls don’t work and the I can’t hear the caller sometimes. Initially the dual connections with OEM and Carplay were causing it to dial out via both Android and Carplay. I could see both on the screen. I disconnected the Android side and it seems to be okay if I dial via the Carplay touchscreen. However I can’t get the steering wheel controls to work properly.

Climate Controls: when connected to Carplay, adjusting climate controls doesn’t pop up on the screen. I think this works when I’m Android, but I never use it for that - I’m purely Carplay.

Siri: Doesn’t work for me. Anyone know how to get it to work and/or call someone? I hold down the answer button on the steering wheel and it makes the Siri sound but seems confused as it’s also connected via OEM. I removed OEM but it still doesn’t work.

Summary: I still love the Carplay function even with these quirks. The biggest issues now are the wireless auto connect and the phone call/Siri functionality. The large HD screen still puts a smile on my face and the Nav/Audio Carplay functionality works fantastic (need to figure out phone) - overall, it’s worth the cost IMO.

Last edited by RocketG35; 06-23-20 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Updated
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (12-27-19)
Old 12-27-19, 09:40 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

@RocketG35 the screen isn’t supposed to have the bracket from the OEM screen put on the new screen. The little 4 blue clips on the old screen you put on the new screen and that’s all that holds the screen in place. That was the case with mine from 4x4Shop so idk if yours is any different in this regard.
Old 12-27-19, 02:16 PM
Sonn
Driver

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Quick observations from using it a few minutes - will update this once I figure out where tweaks are located and where things are:

- Lexus Enform is missing: I can’t seem to find the Enform any more. I can get the sound menu to display, but there’s no menu on the Home Page to take me to Enform. Anyone know how?

- When Carplay works, it looks and runs fantastic. However, I can’t seem to get audio to play all the time. Carplay runs but no audio comes out. I’m sure it can be fixed - just not sure what’s causing it.

- Wireless Carplay dongle: I can’t get the wireless carplay to work so am running it hardwired. The instructions in the box were not correct. Instructions were actually on the outside of the box - needed to download the app via QR. Seller said I only need to connect via BT to get wireless carplay. I thought I needed to connect to the dongle’s WiFi hotspot.

- MPH and F temperature I think these are possibly fake. Although the unit names change, the actual numbers still seem to be in KM/C. Also, the temp display on the side doesn’t really work well. You can’t touch it to change anything and the temp doesn’t display. Will check more.

- Sound: I hear a minor whining noise (interference) if I’m idling since it’s quieter. I can’t find a balance/fader setting. Not sure if the audio is good tbh. It seems if it’s running hardwired, quality is bad with some static. Using BT it seems good.

- Main Menu / Joystick is super sensitive and moves too fast. Difficult to pick the icons as it skips over everything. Hoping there’s a setting that can be adjusted.

- Reverse camera is fuzzy: only checked at night, but the resolution is a bit fuzzy - it’s no where near as sharp as the original screen (which I thought was pretty good). I guess the new hires screen doesn’t work well with the lo-res camera. it seems to support bumper sensors and 360 cameras as the view shows the car with these, but since I have an F-Sport and in the US, My car isn’t equipped with those features. There are a few Reverse Camera settings, but I don’t see a setting to adjust the screen size. will see how daytime looks and also try to find a setting.

- Hardware missing bracket mounting point: I am not sure if mine is “defective” as the part where you screw in the bracket doesn’t exist. I am in comms with the seller about this. For now the screen isn’t locked in. I think an option is for me to take the yellow snap-in brackets from the OEM screen and add it to the new one.

- Door Open sensor pops up anywhere: If you open any door, an overhead image of a car pops up right on top of the android menus. It’s not even in a box - rather it’s a shape of a car placed right on top of the icons. It’s a bit weird and shows it’s not polished.

Overall, I do love the Carplay functionality and the massive size of the screen. It makes the car interior really pop and modernizes it.

But there are bugs - hopefully I can get them ironed out soon. Maybe I need a new apk or something.
Can you play 720p video on YouTube? Just to confirm.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca