IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 03:24 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Quick observations from using it a few minutes - will update this once I figure out where tweaks are located and where things are:

- Lexus Enform is missing: I can’t seem to find the Enform any more. I can get the sound menu to display, but there’s no menu on the Home Page to take me to Enform. Anyone know how?

select FM/CD then it takes you to original lexus infotaiment screen

- Main Menu / Joystick is super sensitive and moves too fast. Difficult to pick the icons as it skips over everything. Hoping there’s a setting that can be adjusted.

Mine's the same, android 6 unit was to slow now new one is to fast

- Hardware missing bracket mounting point: I am not sure if mine is “defective” as the part where you screw in the bracket doesn’t exist. I am in comms with the seller about this. For now the screen isn’t locked in. I think an option is for me to take the yellow snap-in brackets from the OEM screen and add it to the new one.

As said by others doesn't support OEM bracket

- Door Open sensor pops up anywhere: If you open any door, an overhead image of a car pops up right on top of the android menus. It’s not even in a box - rather it’s a shape of a car placed right on top of the icons. It’s a bit weird and shows it’s not polished.

There is a setting somewhere to turn it off

But there are bugs - hopefully I can get them ironed out soon. Maybe I need a new apk or something.
There are and from past experiences there always will be bugs with chineese units, however seems less buggy than older one

Old 12-30-19, 06:17 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick observations from using it a few minutes - will update this once I figure out where tweaks are located and where things are:

- Lexus Enform is missing: I can’t seem to find the Enform any more. I can get the sound menu to display, but there’s no menu on the Home Page to take me to Enform. Anyone know how?

- When Carplay works, it looks and runs fantastic. However, I can’t seem to get audio to play all the time. Carplay runs but no audio comes out. I’m sure it can be fixed - just not sure what’s causing it.

- Wireless Carplay dongle: I can’t get the wireless carplay to work so am running it hardwired. The instructions in the box were not correct. Instructions were actually on the outside of the box - needed to download the app via QR. Seller said I only need to connect via BT to get wireless carplay. I thought I needed to connect to the dongle’s WiFi hotspot.

- MPH and F temperature I think these are possibly fake. Although the unit names change, the actual numbers still seem to be in KM/C. Also, the temp display on the side doesn’t really work well. You can’t touch it to change anything and the temp doesn’t display. Will check more.

- Sound: I hear a minor whining noise (interference) if I’m idling since it’s quieter. I can’t find a balance/fader setting. Not sure if the audio is good tbh. It seems if it’s running hardwired, quality is bad with some static. Using BT it seems good.

- Main Menu / Joystick is super sensitive and moves too fast. Difficult to pick the icons as it skips over everything. Hoping there’s a setting that can be adjusted.

- Reverse camera is fuzzy: only checked at night, but the resolution is a bit fuzzy - it’s no where near as sharp as the original screen (which I thought was pretty good). I guess the new hires screen doesn’t work well with the lo-res camera. it seems to support bumper sensors and 360 cameras as the view shows the car with these, but since I have an F-Sport and in the US, My car isn’t equipped with those features. There are a few Reverse Camera settings, but I don’t see a setting to adjust the screen size. will see how daytime looks and also try to find a setting.

- Hardware missing bracket mounting point: I am not sure if mine is “defective” as the part where you screw in the bracket doesn’t exist. I am in comms with the seller about this. For now the screen isn’t locked in. I think an option is for me to take the yellow snap-in brackets from the OEM screen and add it to the new one.

- Door Open sensor pops up anywhere: If you open any door, an overhead image of a car pops up right on top of the android menus. It’s not even in a box - rather it’s a shape of a car placed right on top of the icons. It’s a bit weird and shows it’s not polished.

Overall, I do love the Carplay functionality and the massive size of the screen. It makes the car interior really pop and modernizes it.

But there are bugs - hopefully I can get them ironed out soon. Maybe I need a new apk or something.
Hi buddy, thanks for detailed post. I also got mine from NaviHua, paid 575USD including shipping to the UK but that was for the lexus NX.

Your observations are spot on to be honest. The major 2 things that are bugging me are the sound quality (I am also getting the high pitched whine/white noise). Its annoying when you turn up the volume at low speeds but also sometimes can hear it during quieter music at high speeds. Bluetooth doesn't have this problem but I prefer to use the aux input as I find the sound quality better than compressed Bluetooth SBC.

I've attached an image of my audio settings which I think sound OK. Bass is a bit boomy and hard to get right.

Second thing that's bugging me is the fake android 9.0 (it's actually 7.0 as api level is reported by several apps as 24) and I've opened a dispute on Alibaba but I am getting nowhere as they are taking the sellers word for it with the 9.0 displayed in the settings. They are asking me which features I think are missing because it is "definitely 9.0' but I am not convinced.

Lastly I can't seem to get headunit reloaded working to auto launch when plugging in USB. Every time I plug in my phone it asks me to set it as default, even though I checked the" remember my choice" box a hundred times...

I tried one of the carplay adapters for android auto but the image is stretched out on the screen, even though the carplay looks perfect, so I returned it and trying to persevere with headunit reloaded for now.

​​

Last edited by mcalr3; 12-31-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-02-20, 10:07 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalr3
Hi buddy, thanks for detailed post. I also got mine from NaviHua, paid 575USD including shipping to the UK but that was for the lexus NX.

Your observations are spot on to be honest. The major 2 things that are bugging me are the sound quality (I am also getting the high pitched whine/white noise). Its annoying when you turn up the volume at low speeds but also sometimes can hear it during quieter music at high speeds. Bluetooth doesn't have this problem but I prefer to use the aux input as I find the sound quality better than compressed Bluetooth SBC.

I've attached an image of my audio settings which I think sound OK. Bass is a bit boomy and hard to get right.

Second thing that's bugging me is the fake android 9.0 (it's actually 7.0 as api level is reported by several apps as 24) and I've opened a dispute on Alibaba but I am getting nowhere as they are taking the sellers word for it with the 9.0 displayed in the settings. They are asking me which features I think are missing because it is "definitely 9.0' but I am not convinced.

Lastly I can't seem to get headunit reloaded working to auto launch when plugging in USB. Every time I plug in my phone it asks me to set it as default, even though I checked the" remember my choice" box a hundred times...

I tried one of the carplay adapters for android auto but the image is stretched out on the screen, even though the carplay looks perfect, so I returned it and trying to persevere with headunit reloaded for now.

​​
I’ll compare those audio settings to my adjustments. I’m running via BT because of wireless carplay (and it sounds fine ).

Interestingly, your temp display actually shows the temp settings. Mine only says “Hi” and “Lo” and never shows numbers. Wonder why I can’t display the actual temps??
Old 01-02-20, 10:10 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flash5
@RocketG35 the screen isn’t supposed to have the bracket from the OEM screen put on the new screen. The little 4 blue clips on the old screen you put on the new screen and that’s all that holds the screen in place. That was the case with mine from 4x4Shop so idk if yours is any different in this regard.
Thanks - I figured that out and did use the plastic clips. Mine are a sort of yellow and not blue. Seems to hold well enough. The seller insisted that I can use the bracket and it was designed for it.
Old 01-02-20, 10:51 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Default Updated Observations

FYI - I updated my observations in post #1048 after spending about 3 hours driving.

Primary issues now:
  • wireless Carplay auto connecting
  • phone/Siri functionality

Still has some other annoying bugs, but overall Carplay and 10.25” HD screen is a major positive addition.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (01-02-20)
Old 01-02-20, 06:25 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Think the setting for doors is in settings, system, factory pattern (password is 666666)
When in these settings swipe from bottom left corner to get back, home buttons etc
The following 2 users liked this post by Droth:
RocketG35 (01-05-20), whoismiked (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 05:07 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Droth
Think the setting for doors is in settings, system, factory pattern (password is 666666)
When in these settings swipe from bottom left corner to get back, home buttons etc
Thank you! I knew how to get into the setting with the 666666 password, but never knew about the swipe bottom left for back and home buttons, it always frustrated me that I thought I didn't have a back button. Thanks!
Old 01-06-20, 07:13 AM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I want to get one of these upgraded screens but are people happier with the unit from 4x4 then the alibaba ones?
Old 01-06-20, 08:38 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Droth
Thanks for this! The password worked for me and I was able to turn off the door notification and also finally get the time to display correctly (after tweaking a couple options).

This upgrade is getting better every day. Still need to see if Phone/Siri calls work better - haven’t driven much these past few days.

Anyone know how to get Siri/Phone to work like normal/voice dial/steering wheel buttons when connected to Carplay? I don’t want to have to touch the screen to make a call. Is there a connection setting between Carplay, the Android side or Lexus OEM that will work?

Last edited by RocketG35; 01-06-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 04:05 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LouisV
I want to get one of these upgraded screens but are people happier with the unit from 4x4 then the alibaba ones?
They are the same unit
LouisV (01-07-20)
Old 01-10-20, 08:13 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

I’m chatting with Stefan of NaviHua about some of the bugs. He said that he will share a list of bugs with the engineers and try to get them fixed one by one.

The ones that I think should be prioritized are the high pitched whine (when the headlights are on), bad call quality (on recipient end), and overall music sound quality (would be great to receive settings if that would solve it).

What other bugs should we raise?
  1. High pitched sound EASYFIX!
  2. call quality (Bad audio on recipient end)
  3. sound quality
  4. Auto-connection issues
  5. Siri functionality (can’t hear Siri’s reply)
  6. ???

Last edited by RocketG35; 01-17-20 at 09:39 PM.
whoismiked (01-11-20)
Old 01-12-20, 06:04 AM
aznknightz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I’m pretty content with the original 4x4 Shop one tbh. I got the screen and the Apple CarPlay dongle for $700. It was when they were first picking up steam on here.
​​​​​​
​​​​@Flash5 , do you have Android auto by my chance? I'm using mine with og screen and with the new android 10.0 AA keep crashing when I launch it.
Old 01-12-20, 06:06 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by aznknightz
​​​​​​
​​​​@Flash5 , do you have Android auto by my chance? I'm using mine with og screen and with the new android 10.0 AA keep crashing when I launch it.
No unfortunately I only use Apple CarPlay.
Old 01-14-20, 10:07 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Default Reverse camera resolution bad with new unit?

If you have the new version with higher res screen, did your reverse camera noticeably resolution drop? I thought the original screen’s resolution was pretty darn good (much much better than my wife’s 2018 MB GLC). This new head unit’s reverse is fairly pixelated and grainy which is a bummer.

I don’t have many reverse camera options - I cannot change the size (ie stretch full screen) - also it always has the side overhead/sensors image on the right.
[Edit: Have to select '360 Camera' to get the full screen mode (which stretches it), no other settings seem to work/change the resolution (unfortunately)]

let me know!

Last edited by RocketG35; 01-17-20 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 05:11 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

If you have the new version with higher res screen, did your reverse camera noticeably resolution drop? I thought the original screen’s resolution was pretty darn good (much much better than my wife’s 2018 MB GLC). This new head unit’s reverse is fairly pixelated and grainy which is a bummer.

I don’t have many reverse camera options - I cannot change the size (ie stretch full screen) - also it always has the side overhead/sensors image on the right.

let me know!
I have the new unit. I cannot say I noticed any resolution change with my reverse camera, mine is pretty clear. If I set mine to full screen the image is a little stretched but does not look bad.
The setting to change the reverse camera display options were in the settings for me, not the advanced setting (that requires the password), but the normal settings. I wish I was at home right now so I could go out and take pic or at least give the exact names of the settings. But I beleieve the setting was something along the lines of "Reverse camera" or something a long those lines. Within that setting their were four options (Don't remember the titles of the 4 option off hand) and If I remember right I tested all 4 different setting no matter what the description on them said just to test. 1 of the setting is the setting you describe, a half screen of camera and a half screen of the sensors. one of the other settings made my camera full screen with no sensors displayed. I actually prefer the sensors one though and keep it on that one, but you should be able to change your if you want.

Let me know if you want me to take some pic or something of these menu settings when I am at home.
RocketG35 (01-17-20)

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca