IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 07:21 AM
mcalr3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
BTW - I noticed the high pitched sound is eliminated if you adjust the in-app Preset Display Brightness setting to "2" or "3" instead of "1"!

You can get to this Options screen by swiping diagonal up from the lower left corner, and selecting the ellipses(3 dots). Tap the middle “sun” icon to change the pre-sets and boom - no more high pitched whine! This is a huge deal. Lol.

Hi,
This did not work for me. Regardless of the brightness setting I have, I can still hear the high pitched whine. If you turn volume on the car up to full while it is in AUX mode, the whine is very apparent. I ended up just using car's bluetooth now with my android auto wireless (headunit reloaded) and I no longer have any issues. Would have liked to use the AUX mode though as I found audio quality a bit better over AUX, but can't put up with the whine during quiet songs.
Old 02-03-20, 02:26 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalr3
Hi,
This did not work for me. Regardless of the brightness setting I have, I can still hear the high pitched whine. If you turn volume on the car up to full while it is in AUX mode, the whine is very apparent. I ended up just using car's bluetooth now with my android auto wireless (headunit reloaded) and I no longer have any issues. Would have liked to use the AUX mode though as I found audio quality a bit better over AUX, but can't put up with the whine during quiet songs.
Sorry to hear it didn't fix it. Although switching to "2" or "3" works for me, also sliding the Brightness adjuster works. I can't remember the exact Brightness setting for when the whine stops. On a related note, I recently also switched over to BT to try it out - I like the more natural sound (like OEM) because I could never tune the HU's settings for the bass to sound natural (no matter what i change, it is boomy or a bit flat). I'll try this a bit.

I also can't seem to find the right set-up for my phone. I have to manually switch to the BT setting to "Lexus IS" when I want to have a call otherwise I can't hear the audio from the caller. They can hear me I think, but no audio on my end+still have the horrible mic issue.

Can someone share their iPhone connection settings?
Old 02-03-20, 03:07 PM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Sorry to hear it didn't fix it. Although switching to "2" or "3" works for me, also sliding the Brightness adjuster works. I can't remember the exact Brightness setting for when the whine stops. On a related note, I recently also switched over to BT to try it out - I like the more natural sound (like OEM) because I could never tune the HU's settings for the bass to sound natural (no matter what i change, it is boomy or a bit flat). I'll try this a bit.

I also can't seem to find the right set-up for my phone. I have to manually switch to the BT setting to "Lexus IS" when I want to have a call otherwise I can't hear the audio from the caller. They can hear me I think, but no audio on my end+still have the horrible mic issue.

Can someone share their iPhone connection settings?
Hey, just go to settings, accessibility, touch, call audio routing and change it from automatic to Bluetooth. You should be good there! Btw, do you have the 4x4 screen? Im trying to get some tips on installation before it arrives.
The following users liked this post:
RocketG35 (02-03-20)
Old 02-03-20, 05:16 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatnieln
Hey, just go to settings, accessibility, touch, call audio routing and change it from automatic to Bluetooth. You should be good there! Btw, do you have the 4x4 screen? Im trying to get some tips on installation before it arrives.
I got mine from Alibaba.

Since it sounds like you don't have the Android/Carplay unit installed yet, I'm not sure you understand the problem I am having with it. The call problems aren't related to it connecting via BT, rather its related to the Carplay connection of the new android screen. It automatically connects to the Carplay BT dongle which has poor phone quality compared to the Lexus BT connection which sounds great (thus why I switch over to it manually). But I'll give anything a try to avoid having to manually change to BT for every call.

BTW - Connecting to the Android unit can be problematic/inconsistent as the wireless Carplay requires connections to both WiFi and BT. The wireless connection to the Carplay dongle doesn't always work when your phone may is still connected to the current WiFi signal. It tries to connect, but fails until you manually connect to the dongle. This problem is inconsistent for me so if you can imagine, it's a bit of a crapshoot if it will connect without your input.

Old 02-09-20, 08:08 PM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is everybody buying their Android units from the same place? And how much are you guys paying for them if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking about buying mine for $600 from www.dvdgpsnav.com

Here's the link to the Android unit.
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/lexus...-is300h-is350/
Old 02-15-20, 12:14 PM
onlyoreo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the voice activation button work for android auto? Is google assistant supported? Thanks!
Old 02-15-20, 01:54 PM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Itzyaboijd
Is everybody buying their Android units from the same place? And how much are you guys paying for them if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking about buying mine for $600 from www.dvdgpsnav.com

Here's the link to the Android unit.
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/lexus...-is300h-is350/
I got mine from 4x4. Apparently they’re all the same but I think that price difference has to do with something.
Old 02-25-20, 01:09 AM
JKING3
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Does this give you rca outs for full system integration?
Old 02-25-20, 05:01 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JKING3
Does this give you rca outs for full system integration?
No it does not. You will still some kind of a line out converter or harness to add RCA outputs to run an aftermarket amp.

Think of it this way, this unit is just a modified tablet with andriod OS on it that replaces your screen. It is not a stereo. This units harness ties into the inputs on your factory OEM stereo, and as such can add some extra inputs (usb, ect) but it does not tie into outputs. The only output on the harness is the video feed line to the screen.

You will need a line out converter, something like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OQv2NS...kaAuoLEALw_wcB

or even better, something like this:

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...-upgrade/lc2i/

Many other options out there too, you can either order something online, or go into just about any car audio place and they will have what you need, it's not expensive to add rca outputs to an OEM stereo.

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-25-20 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-25-20, 05:20 AM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Got my screen installed and I’m loving it, just the audio is what bummed me out. Don’t these tablets have Bluetooth? That way you can just connect the Bluetooth to the factory system and the audio can route through there?
Old 02-25-20, 05:38 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Got my screen installed and I’m loving it, just the audio is what bummed me out. Don’t these tablets have Bluetooth? That way you can just connect the Bluetooth to the factory system and the audio can route through there?
Yes and that is exactly how I run mine. All my audio (music, phone calls, voice commands, ect) all run through my OEM stereo via Bluetooth. My Android screen does everything else, just not audio.

To be honest I've had this screen a while and I never even tried to run audio through it so no idea what it even sounds like, I read this entire thread before I purchased mine and heard the complaints about sound quality so I never even bothered to try it.

Running Audio through the OEM stereo has been working flawlessly for me.

Edit: just reread your question and yes the tablet has bluetooth, but your phone or car stereo does not need to connect to it, just connect your audio source (most likely your phone) to your Lexus OEM stereo just as you did before you got the unit and you are good.
RocketG35 (02-29-20)
Old 02-25-20, 05:54 AM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Yes and that is exactly how I run mine. All my audio (music, phone calls, voice commands, ect) all run through my OEM stereo via Bluetooth. My Android screen does everything else, just not audio.

To be honest I've had this screen a while and I never even tried to run audio through it so no idea what it even sounds like, I read this entire thread before I purchased mine and heard the complaints about sound quality so I never even bothered to try it.

Edit: just reread your question and yes the tablet has bluetooth, but your phone or car stereo does not need to connect to it, just connect your audio source (most likely your phone) to your Lexus OEM stereo just as you did before you got the unit and you are good.
Okay cool thanks! I’ve just been running the audio from my phone to my factory unit, but the only bad thing is I use CarPlay so some audio won’t go through like the gps and any texts I get from my phone. So I had a thought, what If I just connect the Bluetooth to the factory unit and literally all the audio can pass through?
Old 02-25-20, 03:31 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked

After doing a few tweaks to the audio settings on the android screen, I was able to get it to sound pretty good (not exactly as good as stock USB) and I'm satisfied with it now and run everything through the dongle for Apple CarPlay.
whoismiked (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 03:37 PM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
After doing a few tweaks to the audio settings on the android screen, I was able to get it to sound pretty good (not exactly as good as stock USB) and I'm satisfied with it now and run everything through the dongle for Apple CarPlay.
Thanks! I played around and it sounds pretty good now as well, but I wish it would send more bass to the sub. That’s literally the only difference I hear
Old 02-27-20, 03:46 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks! I played around and it sounds pretty good now as well, but I wish it would send more bass to the sub. That’s literally the only difference I hear
On the Lexus AUX or AV side (whichever you're using) decrease your mid and increase your bass. Turn down all levels on the android side and make sure your recreational sound is between 25 and 30.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca